Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travelling to Spain for work?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2021, 12:17 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I think just to be clear in post 11 the rules I quoted were for transits in Switzerland when going from a non-schengen to a schengen country with the suggestion of using that as a route from UK to Spain.

I don't know about transits at MAD, but I don't think that is what the OP wants to do.
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 2:57 pm

Programs: BAEC
Paging sunshinebob, do you know more?
Old Apr 21, 2021, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Guzzler
Come to think of it, I think different rules apply to Swiss residents because it is part of Schengen.
That's definitely the case.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 11:54 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Does free movement within Schengen apply to non-Schengen nationals/residents once they have entered Schengen? If so, OP could travel to a country with a more relaxed entry regime (Luxembourg was relatively straightforward a few months back), and then travel on a separate ticket to Spain.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 12:12 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by LCY8737
Does free movement within Schengen apply to non-Schengen nationals/residents once they have entered Schengen? If so, OP could travel to a country with a more relaxed entry regime (Luxembourg was relatively straightforward a few months back), and then travel on a separate ticket to Spain.
No, I was in Germany this week and had to jump through hoops to fly into Spain. The same crossing from Gibraltar a few weeks back. The Spain Portugal border may reopen on the 3rd of May and driving across could be a possibility if the stars line up.

Spanish entry to Brits without visa and or residency is tricky currently. That will change of course as the pressure from the holiday industry cranks up.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 12:52 am

Programs: BA Gold and other, lesser, shiny cards
I recently returned from a business trip to Spain and was surprised by the levels of checks involved.

It seemed to me that business travel, IS permitted from both the UK and Spanish perspectives; the lists of professions which the UK Government posts are related to those to which there are differences in isolation/quarantine/testing requirements on return.

For what it's worth, based on my experience, some further info:

On the outbound ex T5, I was directed from First Wing to the Iberia desks in the middle to check-in. Substantial wait in Business queue (longer waits for those in Economy) as a lot of cross-checking and 2nd opinions on validity of paperwork (I presume the Iberia team know the local regulations better than the BA FW Team so handle the Spanish flights (and only IB to MAD at present).

In my case this was a letter from the local Spanish entity with whom I was doing business, but to the Op my advice would be to get a letter from a local contact/supplier who can vouch for you (a press card might also help) as this was what the IB check-in team at LHR was examining with care and discussed amongst themselves. Having this in Spanish obviously would be preferable, containing your passport number and dates.

As others note above, PCR tests for entry to Spain and then UK were checked multiple times (4 x on my return journey to LHR)
Passenger Locator form for returning to the UK also checked (as was confirmation of booking for the 2 x Mandatory Tests on return at 2 and 8 days)
The Spanish Health Ministry QR code was checked at LHR check-in and again in MAD connections (to Domestic)

Being in Spain again was a delight, but with restaurants now closing at 8pm, my advice is to make time for a good lunch!

The MAD lounge in T4 was a pleasant surprise (IB lounge in T4S remains closed), and felt relatively normal (limited drinks, but a great G+T from a friendly chap with a trolley) and food decent.

IB flights fair - old tatty 330 out from LHR but very nice 350 back with newer J seat which is very good, IMO. Food on board mixed, as was service.

Note of caution: I was told IB could only serve each PAX 1 x alcoholic drink per pax (that was LHR to MAD).

Good luck and be careful (little practical social distancing in practice on the ground from what I experienced but masks universally worn outside, except when seated/dining).

C
adrianlondon and Guzzler like this.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 1:16 am

Programs: Executive Club
I don't think the Spanish embassy in London is particularly quick either. A friend of mine is a teacher who was offered a job in a Spanish school. She applied for her visa in January and has only just been given it.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
Great, thank you for all the very useful advice. I have read somewhere that the rules are to be reviewed on April 30, so fingers crossed there is some easing - especially since UK case levels are so low now. Otherwise I face something of a bureaucratic nightmare!
JessicaB likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 2:18 am

Great, thank you for all the very useful advice. I have read somewhere that the rules are to be reviewed on April 30, so fingers crossed there is some easing - especially since UK case levels are so low now. Otherwise I face something of a bureaucratic nightmare!
Can you post on here if you read anything about the rules being relaxed please, have holiday booked for May but I only ever read about tourism restarting there in June.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 2:20 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Reading this thread reminds me of that saying, "Brexit.......the gift that just keeps on taking". What on earth has this country done to itself?

Apologies for the political stance, hope the OP manages to navigate this absolute minefield post December 31st 2020
philiplee and expatboy like this.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
The Spanish authorities like to pretend to review things and they tinker here and there.

But I can 100% guarantee to you that no Brits will be allowed in (without good reason) until the "estado de alarma" is lifted, which is currently due to end on May 9th, but might be extended. There's no way non-Europeans are going to be allowed to enter when Spanish residents are trapped in their own region / comunidad autonoma. They are already receiving a lot of criticism because EU citizens can go to the beach but not people living in Madrid.
paulaf likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 2:46 am

Originally Posted by Mycroft
I recently returned from a business trip to Spain and was surprised by the levels of checks involved.

It seemed to me that business travel, IS permitted from both the UK and Spanish perspectives; the lists of professions which the UK Government posts are related to those to which there are differences in isolation/quarantine/testing requirements on return.

On the outbound ex T5, I was directed from First Wing to the Iberia desks in the middle to check-in. Substantial wait in Business queue (longer waits for those in Economy) as a lot of cross-checking and 2nd opinions on validity of paperwork (I presume the Iberia team know the local regulations better than the BA FW Team so handle the Spanish flights (and only IB to MAD at present).

In my case this was a letter from the local Spanish entity with whom I was doing business, but to the Op my advice would be to get a letter from a local contact/supplier who can vouch for you (a press card might also help) as this was what the IB check-in team at LHR was examining with care and discussed amongst themselves. Having this in Spanish obviously would be preferable, containing your passport number and dates.

As others note above, PCR tests for entry to Spain and then UK were checked multiple times (4 x on my return journey to LHR)
Passenger Locator form for returning to the UK also checked (as was confirmation of booking for the 2 x Mandatory Tests on return at 2 and 8 days)
The Spanish Health Ministry QR code was checked at LHR check-in and again in MAD connections (to Domestic)

Being in Spain again was a delight, but with restaurants now closing at 8pm, my advice is to make time for a good lunch!

The MAD lounge in T4 was a pleasant surprise (IB lounge in T4S remains closed), and felt relatively normal (limited drinks, but a great G+T from a friendly chap with a trolley) and food decent.

IB flights fair - old tatty 330 out from LHR but very nice 350 back with newer J seat which is very good, IMO. Food on board mixed, as was service.

Note of caution: I was told IB could only serve each PAX 1 x alcoholic drink per pax (that was LHR to MAD).

Good luck and be careful (little practical social distancing in practice on the ground from what I experienced but masks universally worn outside, except when seated/dining).

C
I've had the same experience travelling to BCN (via MAD) as has one of my colleagues on a separate occasion (both LHR->BCN on UK passports). A letter from the local Spanish entity was what was required to get past IB check-in at LHR, and then through border control in MAD. A lot of paperwork, and a decent amount of stress compared to normal, but ultimately perfectly doable.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 4:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by Mycroft

C
iberia always handle their own check in at the relevant zone though yiu can yiu the First Wing to clear security if you are eligible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.