Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA flights bookings and ESTA query

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2021, 7:47 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Definitas
This is the first I have heard about potential ESTA cancellations. I have had 3 return flights cancelled by BA. I tried to check my ESTA status but it just comes up as applications expired, presumably because I applied more than a year ago (and our ESTAs expire in September. Has BA admitted to this error and is there any way of checking which pax were affected?
ESTAs expire after 2 years, so unless you are planning to travel very soon I think you best just apply for a new one anyway., you are just losing a few months. I am not convinced this was BA in error, other airlines were affected too and it wasn't BA that cancelled the ESTAs. Did you remove your booking and ESTA details a week before the previously planned travel? But yes you can check which passengers were affected by doing the usual status check:

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/individualStatusLookup
Old Apr 21, 2021, 7:57 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by layz
Would it be possible to go to a OW hub outside of Schengen (e.g. DOH) stay there 14 days and then fly to the US or are there other restrictions in addition to the ESTA we need to think about?

Hopefully when I'm due to travel (August) it won't be needed and also things may have changed a lot by then.
DOH is currently not open to foreigners or tourists, but DXB is. I have had to do 14 days in DXB and then travelled to USA on an ESTA without any problem.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 8:42 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MrSimonR
Surely there are people who can legally travel to the US on an ESTA such as those who are immediate family members.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Indeed, I think I mentioned that as a possibility in my previous post. However DHS agents are able and willing to ok travel without ESTAs in those circumstances.
IF one can get on the plane in the first place, given the vast disparity in awareness and / or competence among check-in agents. 'No ESTA? Computer says no.' Happened to my neighbour in the early days right after the presidential proclamation went into effect.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 9:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The early-on ESTA issues were perhaps understandable, but do not speak to the present or future. ESTA is not linked to whether one has one of the numerous exemptions for US travel which a UK national might have. In particular, familial status would not be reflected in a visa or any other official document prior to check-in.

With UK national travel on ESTA at a not insignificant level, reports of odd cancellations seem to have dropped.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
This is the first I have heard about potential ESTA cancellations. I have had 3 return flights cancelled by BA. I tried to check my ESTA status but it just comes up as applications expired, presumably because I applied more than a year ago (and our ESTAs expire in September. Has BA admitted to this error and is there any way of checking which pax were affected?
Here is one of the threads from last year discussing the ESTA cancellation issues:
BA got my ESTA cancelled
Old Apr 21, 2021, 11:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Ours were cancelled as we were due to fly the Monday after the Proclamation was made in March 2020, I assumed it happened as I had submitted API?

Anyway, they would have expired by now so I am just going to renew them once the Proclamation is rescinded, hopefully before next planned trip in September?
Old Apr 21, 2021, 11:39 am

As a data point, my wife and I are due to travel to MIA on 21st May; our ESTAs expired towards the end of last year. We renewed them earlier this week, and were both approved within 10 minutes.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 11:45 am

Has BA admitted to this error and is there any way of checking which pax were affected?
There was nothing to ‘admit to’, and certainly not an ‘error’. In the majority of cases the problem was that the customer failed to remove themselves from the flight before APIS was submitted, despite having no intention to travel. And where BA did submit APIS data - in full accordance with the US law saying they needed to - it was the US government that took a decision to cancel the ESTAs, not BA.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 11:49 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
From memory there were a handful of cases reported where folks had applied for a FTV, but at the time BA were taking a few days to process them so the booking remained live and APIS was submitted. I think in those cases the ESTA was cancelled.

Was it strictly BA's fault? Possibly, but considering the huge amounts of travel chaos last March it is not suprising things like that may have happened. In hindsight it would have been great for the passenger to remove APIS data immediately, but we were all learning back then.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
From memory there were a handful of cases reported where folks had applied for a FTV, but at the time BA were taking a few days to process them so the booking remained live and APIS was submitted. I think in those cases the ESTA was cancelled.

Was it strictly BA's fault? Possibly, but considering the huge amounts of travel chaos last March it is not suprising things like that may have happened. In hindsight it would have been great for the passenger to remove APIS data immediately, but we were all learning back then.
I think I am probably going to have to reapply and see if the system tells me I still have a valid ESTA. my main concern is my recently renewed Global Entry which is automatically cancelled if the linked ESTA is allowed to lapse
Old Apr 21, 2021, 3:50 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
I think I am probably going to have to reapply and see if the system tells me I still have a valid ESTA. my main concern is my recently renewed Global Entry which is automatically cancelled if the linked ESTA is allowed to lapse

I let my ESTA lapse and it didnt do anything to my global entry, I've never heard of that condition either to be honest.

Back to the original point, as above, once I let my ESTA lapse I was in Mexico and applied for the new one. Was approved in a few minutes and I flew into the USA with no problems (cleared on global entry as normal).

Wouldnt have any issues booking flights pre-emptively at the moment.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 4:31 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Like aceman I have let my latest ESTA lapse and no ill effects experienced for my TTP/GE membership - in fact I have just been on the TTP site and am about to apply to renew.

If your ESTA is cancelled though I don't know whether that could cause some issue with your TTP/GE membership or whether you would have issues applying for a new ESTA in the future.
Often1 likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 10:47 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
In the early days of the pandemic, a friend and his wife were due to travel back from BGI to CDG via MIA. They had only spent 7 days in BGI having travelled from CDG via MIA on the outbound. The day before their return they both got an email saying their ESTAs had been cancelled therefore had to re-route avoiding the US.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 12:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
No, that is not the case. Your GE won’t be cancelled.
Definitas likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 1:39 am

GE Status and ESTA

Originally Posted by LondonElite
No, that is not the case. Your GE won’t be cancelled.
both I and Mrs Definitas were told at our GE interviews (by the same HS employee) that our GE would automatically expire if we didn’t have a valid ESTA and that we should renew our ESTA in advance of them expiring. I am now thinking that he perhaps misled us given the experience of others on this thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.