Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Flying from England to Edinburgh - LHR - EDI - to purchase a car

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying from England to Edinburgh - LHR - EDI - to purchase a car

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2021, 2:36 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Often1
Have car sales been suspended in England?
No. New car sales were/are done online if you wanted to even during lockdowns. Perhaps the 1st lockdown was the exception.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 2:41 pm

Showrooms were deemed non-essential and had to close until last Monday. It saw the rise of the live viewings via Zoom etc. and deliveries on the back of trucks.

In Scotland showrooms were allowed to reopen on April 5th but they're still appointment only until the 26th.

If it's a private deal then it's a grey area. Someone in England was stopped and got a court summons during lockdown for travelling 100 miles to do a 'car swap' as it was deemed non-essential.
100-mile lockdown trip lands used car buyer in court | Autocar

But that was in January. As it stands I would wait until the 26th if at all possible, or at least have some evidence that this is essential in case the police do get involved. Unlikely but not impossible.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 7:30 pm

If it is essential to buy the car in Scotland, the OP should arrange for it to be delivered to the English border, at say Lamberton Toll on the A1 just north of Berwick-upon-Tweed on the A1, or on the bridge over the Tweed between Coldstream and Cornhill on the A697. The delivery person would leave the vehicle a few feet short of the border and push if forward until the driver's door was in England. That should be compatible with current travel restrictions, and could be of interest to the local press.

There is a tale I heard many years ago of a farmer who had a pigsty that straddled the border, but had its only entrance in England. Nevertheless, when for a time it was illegal to transport pigs across the border he puta pig in that sty and was hauld into a Scottish court and fined for illegally introducing a pig into Scotland. So the OP should be wary of the risk of getting on the wrong side of Police Scotland!
Old Apr 18, 2021, 9:46 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
That’s not relevant.

Click and collect car purchases from a dealer (new or used) have been considered essential and legal in Scotland throughout the current lockdown. I’m sure the OP can call the dealer for reassurance if required.

Really not sure why any of this is being discussed on the BAEC board, particularly given the apparently extremely poor state of knowledge about the Scots law in this area.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 12:13 am

Programs: BA Silver
I flew down to Birmingham and back for Christmas and also did the journey by Rail in December after the cross border ban had been enacted.

The Flights were on Easyjet about 15 passengers on each - the Train was lightly loaded as well.

No one was interested where you were going either end on both modes of Transport or asking any questions.

On Thursday I got the Train to Berwick upon Tweed when the English Pubs opened back up for a day out and a Drink. On Friday I did the same only to Carlisle.

Once again no Police presence or questions.

I think the only place people have been stopped is on the roads and that's only if you have been speeding or committing some other offence and they make enquiries about where you are going and why.

Last week my Ex- Wife drove up from The West Midlands to St Andrews and back to collect my Daughter from Uni. No problems..

Machine Gun posts have not been installed.....Yet ?

I don't think you will have any problems.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 12:55 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I live on the border. I also feel this is on balance legally acceptable, I go northwards for shopping, petrol and haircuts, it wouldn't register as an issue. I have had my vehicle routine serviced in Kelso - Landrover offered me a letter to confirm the appointment if I wanted one. However it's not so much about rules, it's about personal responsibility - can it be deferred, handled a different way, pay a deposit and collect later? In terms of virus transmission we are thankfully on a downwards slope both sides of the border but the later you leave it, the safer it will be for you and everyone. So if you were stopped by Police Scotland (unlikely) or the Met (very unlikely) what would you say if challenged as to whether this was essential travel? And how plausible would be it sound versus the alternatives?
Old Apr 19, 2021, 2:35 am

There is a massive difference crossing the border for a short distance than the distances involved in this case. Having read the reasonable excuses for travel in Level 4 between Scotland/England I do not believe this falls into this category of being exempt.
PolScot are not going to carry out stop checks generally but if for whatever reason your are stopped by them then expect your excuse to fall on deaf ears. There have been cases of people being fined for travelling 2 miles to the nearest Tesco (but which was outwith their Council Area) so imagine how a journey of this distance will be judged..

Last edited by argonath; Apr 19, 2021 at 2:36 am Reason: editing
Old Apr 19, 2021, 5:32 am

Have BA announced any changes to their services between EDI, GLA etc yet? I’d like to think that’s just around the corner, but as to what frequency is anyone’s guess.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 6:07 am

Programs: Aer Club Silver | BAEC Bronze | ALL Silver | Sixt Platinum
A family member faced the same problem buying a car from England but living in Scotland.

​​​​​​Ended up getting it delivered.
Much easier IMHO. By the time you factor in the cost of the flight and fuel, it'll probably work out cheaper or similar.

Can also confirm that the police were being fairly strict when we weren't allowed to leave our council area. On some days they were stopping cars at the council border asking reason for travel/where you live etc.
argonath likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 3:10 am

Programs: BA, CX, SQ, Accor, IHG
Originally Posted by pazza2000
Have BA announced any changes to their services between EDI, GLA etc yet? I’d like to think that’s just around the corner, but as to what frequency is anyone’s guess.
No announcements I have read- though I did fly GLA-LHR-GLA yesterday and flights both ways had, what I would say was, a normal load- ie fairly busy. I would think the time to increase frequency beyond 2 daily's to and from GLA is fast approaching.
pazza2000 likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by Hotcat1970
No announcements I have read- though I did fly GLA-LHR-GLA yesterday and flights both ways had, what I would say was, a normal load- ie fairly busy. I would think the time to increase frequency beyond 2 daily's to and from GLA is fast approaching.
I agree, as is the time to reopen their lounge there for the first time in over a year.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 5:18 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
The First Minister has just confirmed that travel between Scotland, England, Wales, Northern Ireland, The Isle of Man and the Channel Islands will be permitted from Monday.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 8:30 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by sigma421
The First Minister has just confirmed that travel between Scotland, England, Wales, Northern Ireland, The Isle of Man and the Channel Islands will be permitted from Monday.
Unfortunately for Holidaymakers Hotels in Northern Ireland are not opening until May 24th and indicatively May 29th in Ireland.

Jersey is opening on the 26th April but with a regional UK "traffic light scheme" with different requirements depending on the infection rates where you live in the UK - some of which include being stuck in your Hotel for a least 12 hours awaiting the results of a free test on arrival. (Yes Free !!!)

Isle of Man is still closed to Tourists .

Well living in Scotland there is always England for me.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 8:38 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by Butts
Unfortunately for Holidaymakers Hotels in Northern Ireland are not opening until May 24th and indicatively May 29th in Ireland.

Jersey is opening on the 26th April but with a regional UK "traffic light scheme" with different requirements depending on the infection rates where you live in the UK - some of which include being stuck in your Hotel for a least 12 hours awaiting the results of a free test on arrival. (Yes Free !!!)

Isle of Man is still closed to Tourists .

Well living in Scotland there is always England for me.
It takes two to tango - much in the same way that if New Zealand goes on a green list next week it’s not going to be any easier to go there.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 1:16 am

"The First Minister has just confirmed that travel between Scotland, England, Wales, Northern Ireland, The Isle of Man and the Channel Islands will be permitted from Monday."
Which is an interesting comment as this is not within her control.
The Scottish Government has the power, and legitimately used that power, to set restrictions on movement within Scotland. However, despite these assertions from the FM, the freedom to travel within the Common Travel Area (so long as you are not breaching a local lockdown in the constituent parts of the CTA that you travel between) is not something that any of the devolved administrations have control over. Despite the comments from Ms Sturgeon, she cannot stop anyone crossing the border today.
argonath likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.