Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Likelihood of additional MLE dates

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2021, 8:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Virgin Flying Club Silver
Should we take this as BA having confidence Maldives will be on the green list or just hedging their bets ? I’m tempted for May 18th - even if the bonkers pricing means I have to fly in Y !
Old Apr 18, 2021, 9:25 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Chris9642
Should we take this as BA having confidence Maldives will be on the green list or just hedging their bets ? I’m tempted for May 18th - even if the bonkers pricing means I have to fly in Y !
I think that nothing is guaranteed. The rates or analysis might change.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 9:44 am

Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold
I can’t see fares coming down. The cabins are filling with fares at the levels they are.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 9:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Virgin Flying Club Silver
Originally Posted by tom139
I can’t see fares coming down. The cabins are filling with fares at the levels they are.
expert flyer is showing not a single seat taken for the 18th - although I appreciate that’s not the most accurate indicator
Old Apr 18, 2021, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Boom. J Reward released for 8th June and snagged. Currently with a Y return on the 15th but will keep my fingers crossed.

Every seat was available in J for the outbound and Y for the return. I'm sure there will be demand for these flights when it's known they are available
Old Apr 22, 2021, 4:52 am

I have just booked a March 2022 trip to the Maldives to compensate for the one which was cancelled this year. Very happy that the price is 20% lower, lets hope we get there this time!
Old Apr 22, 2021, 7:48 am

I would imagine direct flights would be very popular if UAE is put into the RED/AMBER category in May, that will put any alternative indirect flights into those categories and the consequence on quarantine rules on return to UK.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 10:28 am
Original Poster

I would not be surprised if there is lobbying for the ME3 to remain on the red list. It could be a boom for BA with various direct options.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 3:30 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by kingcole974
I would not be surprised if there is lobbying for the ME3 to remain on the red list. It could be a boom for BA with various direct options.
BA could definitely use this as an opportunity advertise the benefits of their direct services.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 3:49 pm

I'd say unlikely given the state of the current MLE terminal which is overstretched in terms of capacity until the new airport opens. Additional BA services have already been added on a year round basis on what was traditionally a winter seasonal destination for some years. Just because the ME3 are out of bounds (or at least tempting fate and problematic for re-entry to the UK for the foreseeable), they're still a very popular option for most for Europe, Africa and Far East who want to go to The Maldives. It's not just a case of putting on some extra flights because BA can, the approval needs to be gained at the other end too.

Speaking of seasonality, the Maldives are in monsoon season May-October so while some will risk it, the chances are the weather isn't going to be the best. Palm trees are green for a reason afterall.
Brighterside likes this.
Old May 5, 2021, 2:55 am

Programs: Some
Looking increasingly likely to me that some of those additional MLE flights won't be needed in the near term. The Maldives has managed to go from a fairly sure fire bet for the green list to not even sure they will make amber at this rate...

I imagine the UK authorities may also be particularly sensitive to the risk that the current spike could have been caused by an influx of visitors from India.
Old May 5, 2021, 3:17 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Looking increasingly likely to me that some of those additional MLE flights won't be needed in the near term. The Maldives has managed to go from a fairly sure fire bet for the green list to not even sure they will make amber at this rate...

I imagine the UK authorities may also be particularly sensitive to the risk that the current spike could have been caused by an influx of visitors from India.
My thoughts exactly, I was in MLE airport a couple of weeks back and it seemed to me that every other person was travelling into/out of/via India.

Its worth noting that the 2 biggest climbers in the (authenticated) virus growth charts are The Seychelles (number 1) and The Maldives (number2) - both muted as "safe" a few months ago but looking unlikely to be green listed IMHO. I appreciate that they both are starting from low levels (and the vast majoritiy of the Maldives infections are in Male not the resorts) but they have rates of over 1000/100k and 500/100k respectivly.
Old May 5, 2021, 6:23 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold
Indeed, The Maldives had its record infections yesterday since this whole terrible business began over a year ago.
Old May 5, 2021, 8:20 am
Original Poster

This is worrying me too. Myself and my better half have decided to go ahead if it's on Amber. The chances of green are low but there are a lot of scarier places that are Amber.

My worry is BA make a late decision to kill a flight. I've been lucky enough to bag six nights at the Waldorf from 9th June so my window for cancelling without penalty is very close.
Old May 6, 2021, 12:32 am

Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by kingcole974
This is worrying me too. Myself and my better half have decided to go ahead if it's on Amber. The chances of green are low but there are a lot of scarier places that are Amber.

My worry is BA make a late decision to kill a flight. I've been lucky enough to bag six nights at the Waldorf from 9th June so my window for cancelling without penalty is very close.
I can't see BA maintaining a flight schedule like it's planning if the Maldives is an Amber country. Traditionally, MLE was never a summer timetable route full stop, let alone multiple frequencies per week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.