Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA to offer discounted rapid COVID-19 test kits for travellers to take abroad

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2021, 12:29 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)

• To give its customers peace of mind when planning future travel, British Airways is offering discounted rates with Government-approved COVID-19 testing providers, including Qured
  • Qured will deliver rapid, professionally administered antigen test kits to British Airways customers at an exclusive, discounted price of £33
  • The test kits can be taken abroad and used anywhere in the world. Following a video consultation with a health advisor, results are available in 20 minutes
  • Qured test kits remove uncertainty for customers who may be unsure how to source a pre-departure test while in a foreign country
  • In addition, British Airways customers have access to preferential rates with multiple COVID-19 testing providers offering a range of convenient PCR, lamp, antibody and antigen testing options
  • Before they fly, customers can upload their COVID-19 test results to the VeriFLY app on selected routes* – a mobile travel health passport – to certify their test certificates before leaving home and enjoy a fast track experience at the airport Thursday, 4 March - To give ultimate peace of mind when planning future travel, British Airways has today announced that its customers can order discounted global antigen tests from Government-approved COVID-19 testing provider, Qured, at an exclusive price of £33.

The rapid test kits are ultra-convenient and can be ordered to any UK address. Designed to be portable, customers can take the kits with them abroad, in preparation for their return journey to the UK.

The simple test is remotely administered by a professional health advisor over a scheduled video call. The health advisor will guide the customer through taking a nose and throat swab and processing the sample. Verified results are available after 20 minutes, and the customer can download a ‘fit to fly’ certificate if the test is negative.

British Airways’ CEO Sean Doyle, said: “As we look forward and prepare for a safe return to travel, we remain focused on finding and offering the most convenient and affordable testing options for our customers.

“Our teams were pleased to discover Qured, a unique new option which removes uncertainty and unnecessary expense for customers who may be concerned about sourcing a pre-departure test while away from home.”

Qured’s CEO Alex Templeton, said: “Our accessible rapid testing service takes the hassle out of finding a test abroad. As a trusted healthcare provider we look forward to delivering an exceptional patient experience to British Airways’ customers and to working with them on a safe return to travel.”

To find out more information on Qured, and all the other testing options and discounts available, customers should visit British Airways’ testing page on ba.com
  • To offer customers further reassurance before travel, the airline recently began trialling a new travel health app, VeriFLY. The digital health travel passport, which can be downloaded to a mobile device, is designed to check customers meet the entry requirements of their destination by providing digital health document verification and confirming eligibility, before they depart for the airport.

• Test results from Qured and other test providers can be safely and securely uploaded to the app. British Airways is in talks with all test providers to seek opportunities to have test results automatically sent to the VeriFLY app, to make the process even easier.

The airline continues to work on the development of the IATA Travel Pass and is exploring all digital travel verification solutions to support its customers when travel re-starts.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 12:37 am
Original Poster

This is great news. When I returned from the USA a couple of weeks ago we had to pay $300 each for a test. This test is valid for pre-arrival testing for travel to the UK. The official price is £39 but BA customers are entitled to a 15% discount using the discount code BATRAVEL15.

More details and to order look here: https://qured.com/returning-to-engla...source=website
Old Mar 4, 2021, 12:59 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
If this is widely accepted, this is a brilliant step forward and well done BA and Qured
Old Mar 4, 2021, 1:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Their claim that it ensures a ‘fast track experience at the airport’ is a bold one. With people having to wait up to seven hours in a queue on arrival at Heathrow will this test swift them to the front of the queue? I presume not. I can understand how it might help at check in and boarding but not at immigration when there are already a thousand people in the queue when you arrive and only a handful of booths open processing those people.

The whole issue around making travel easier seems complex and needs sorting and although this seems like a good step forward it’s not going to solve some of the bigger issues. If the queues are seven hours with travel as light as it is now imagine what they will be like when larger numbers return.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 1:11 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
As far as I know, there are no countries which accept a self test as evidence, it's always a lab result, sometimes even to specific technologies or languages the lab result is presented in.
DelTroon likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 1:17 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
The only issue I foresee is availability of slots for the video if each test takes 20 mins. One health advisor will be able to do 3 tests an hour so if there is 10,000 passengers a day you will need about 140 advisors working 24 hours a day to deal with everybody. This assumes you will be able to book slots 24 hours a day - which of course you will need to if you're on different time zones.

Its a step forwards albeit a small one.
MaxFlyer likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 1:41 am

Programs: BA Silver
Also assumes a good enough internet connection for a predictable and stable video call.
AJA_ likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 1:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BerksFlyer
Their claim that it ensures a ‘fast track experience at the airport’ is a bold one. With people having to wait up to seven hours in a queue on arrival at Heathrow will this test swift them to the front of the queue? I presume not. I can understand how it might help at check in and boarding but not at immigration when there are already a thousand people in the queue when you arrive and only a handful of booths open processing those people.

The whole issue around making travel easier seems complex and needs sorting and although this seems like a good step forward it’s not going to solve some of the bigger issues. If the queues are seven hours with travel as light as it is now imagine what they will be like when larger numbers return.
You appear to have missed the opening portion of that paragraph “Before they fly”. The fast track is a reference to the departure process, not arrival. Unfortunately airlines are at the behest of the Immigration Service when it comes to arrival formalities.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 1:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by swiss_global
As far as I know, there are no countries which accept a self test as evidence, it's always a lab result, sometimes even to specific technologies or languages the lab result is presented in.
This test is approved by the UK Government for those travelling to the UK. This test is not being promoted for use to enable travel to other countries. You will find other tests are available on the links provided that would satisfy the requirements for those intending to travel to other countries and discounts are available to BA customers.
Often1 likes this.

Last edited by Tobias-UK; Mar 4, 2021 at 2:33 am Reason: Fat fingers
Old Mar 4, 2021, 1:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sunshinebob
The only issue I foresee is availability of slots for the video if each test takes 20 mins. One health advisor will be able to do 3 tests an hour so if there is 10,000 passengers a day you will need about 140 advisors working 24 hours a day to deal with everybody. This assumes you will be able to book slots 24 hours a day - which of course you will need to if you're on different time zones.

Its a step forwards albeit a small one.
I disagree. This is a great option at a great price. I spent hours in the US trying to find a testing centre that could provide what the UK requires. When I did find one it was $300 each, 45 minute drive to the testing car park, 20 minutes wait to be done, a 45 minute drive back and then a 70 minute round trip the next day to collect the test results and certificate.

This option is £33.15 and can be done from the comfort of your hotel, office or home and results uploaded to the App 20 minutes later. That’s a huge step forward in my book. Especially when you look at the inconvenience and expense of the alternatives.
Elevate, paulaf, alex67500 and 8 others like this.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 1:53 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond
I think this is a massive step forward in helping some normality to return, especially if other countries start to accept it outgoing.

Now if only the NHS home test could be used that would be amazing. My wife it doing two of them a week currently being a teacher. Though on one verifies it was actually her that took the test.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 1:56 am

Sorry if I miss one key point: is this test allowed as a valid test for arrival/returning into the UK? If so, it's the best thing BA did since they introduced Mount Gay rum on BoB.
af fp likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 2:05 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by 13901
Sorry if I miss one key point: is this test allowed as a valid test for arrival/returning into the UK? If so, it's the best thing BA did since they introduced Mount Gay rum on BoB.
Yes - this test is recognised as an approved test by the Govt for the pre-departure 72hr test to be taken before coming to the U.K.

Pilot37
paulaf, Tobias-UK and 13901 like this.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by Pilot37
Yes - this test is recognised as an approved test by the Govt for the pre-departure 72hr test to be taken before coming to the U.K.

Pilot37
Brilliant. In the super-remote eventuality that I need to travel somewhere in the next X months I know what to do!
DaveS and Pilot37 like this.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 2:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Paul Banks
I think this is a massive step forward in helping some normality to return, especially if other countries start to accept it outgoing.

Now if only the NHS home test could be used that would be amazing. My wife it doing two of them a week currently being a teacher. Though [no] one verifies it was actually her that took the test.
And that’s why this test must be done remotely in front of a Qured Health Advisor for the results to be valid under UK law and a Fit to Fly Certificate issued.
Often1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.