Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BEA Blast from the Past (i.e. 1964!)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2021, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

BEA Blast from the Past (i.e. 1964!)

Just came across this in the process of moving offices.

If there is interest I would consider scanning it so everyone can see what's inside!

rb211.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 2:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue, VS Red, IHG Platinum
Just down the road from me! I do wonder why she is taking a picture away from Corfe Castle though.

What a find, I've seen a stunning railway poster with a similar view by never thought there would be an airline version.
RB211 likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 3:26 pm

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
I guess the closest airport would be Bournemouth.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 3:51 pm

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
Hurn Airport, as we called it then.

In the recent TV "The Durrells", when mother discloses the imminent move to Corfu, daughter Margo exclaims "Corfu Castle ! That's no good. It hasn't even got a roof !"
RB211 likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tjcxx
Hurn Airport, as we called it then.

In the recent TV "The Durrells", when mother discloses the imminent move to Corfu, daughter Margo exclaims "Corfu Castle ! That's no good. It hasn't even got a roof !"
Or as I said when I saw the Coliseum in Rome on a work visit... "It will be nice when they finish it!"

I flew from Hern a few times, probably with Dan Air!

rb211.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 10:43 am

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
So nostalgic! It was around then that I was introduced to air travel - flying to Guernsey from Ringway (MAN for the youngsters here) on BEA Viscounts to holiday with family who had moved out there.
RB211 likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 6:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I was an 8 year old cherub back then. Have to say despite it being so long ago the picture wouldn't look out of place if used today.

I remember flying from Glasgow to somewhere in a Viscount around that time although it was from Renfrew in those days of course.
RB211 likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 9:01 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I was an 8 year old cherub back then. Have to say despite it being so long ago the picture wouldn't look out of place if used today.

I remember flying from Glasgow to somewhere in a Viscount around that time although it was from Renfrew in those days of course.
i now fully understand how ancient Hiddy is! I’m surprised he knows what a keyboard is! I’m no spring chicken myself and yes, I’ve flown on a viscount too, but it was from the current Glasgow airport. I went to school in Renfrew in the late 70s/early 80s and remember visiting a friends house in Newmains and heading out of his backyard and going to play around on the tarmac/apron of the old airport that was closed in 1966. I believe the entire area is now all houses these days with a Tesco thrown in for good measure.

That said, GLA has grown tremendously since I went there as a kid. I had heard that the architect who designed the original terminal did not want their name associated with it as even back then, they knew it was too small. I usually travel through GLA once a year to visit my mum and I always make sure to look up and see the original roof that’s still in place under the new roof.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 11:35 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Is the car an Austin Healey Sprite?
Old Mar 4, 2021, 1:21 am

I remember travelling up and down from Ringway (MAN) to LHR in Viscounts and Vanguards. There was no security, you just checked in and walked to the gate. My old Dad came with me to the gate as I was under 18. A youth fare was £2 10 shillings round trip. Groats had largely died out by then.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 4:21 am

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
Originally Posted by Jagboi
Is the car an Austin Healey Sprite?
I think you may be right. The model after the frog eyes went. Or more likely, I think, it's an early Midget.
RB211 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 8:30 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Silver, IHG Platinum Elite, Qatar Privilege Club

I flew my first ever flight in this very Herald, from Turnhouse to Renfrew
RB211 and edinv like this.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 10:31 am

Flew in that Herald from Belfast to Glasgow in 1965.
Did Turnhouse-Renfrew in a BEA Dakota in 1961.
Exsilver likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.