Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR to LAX - Best flight time for minimise jet lag

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR to LAX - Best flight time for minimise jet lag

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2021, 10:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
I’d avoid the earlier LAX/SFO flights if possible since customs is often very busy around those arrival times. Slowly snaking through a queue is hard on the jet lag. Evening arrivals slightly quieter.

Drink/sleep/light nap, then after clearing customs a light (if that’s possible stateside..) spicy (encourages drinking water) meal and then sleep through till morning.
Old Feb 27, 2021, 11:03 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
The hotels near the airport well reflect that soullessness of that ghastly part of Los Angeles but are perfectly fit for purpose.

lolol. i love me the sheraton gateway hotel and it is part of my habit that even if i stay at a different hotel for the duration of my LA trip or have an onwards flight the next day, i always stay at the sheraton gateway for the first night. the next day i'll fly onwards or move to my superior hotel elsewhere in LA.

i dont know when or how i got into this routine but its my thing now because as you note: everyone is different.
Mr.JimmyFlyer likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2021, 11:08 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Start drinking in the lounge, Bloody Marys are good for the Vit C factor - keep It going on the plane, ideally stick to Vodka and diet cokes, low calorie and clean for hangovers. keep this going all flight.

Once you land, straight to hotel - shower and bed. Wake up feeling fresh the next day.
Old Feb 27, 2021, 11:14 am

Programs: BA Exec Club, Flying Blue
Have done this quite a few times to LAX, SFO, PHX. My preference is for the later flight - the gap between arriving and going to bed is manageable. The earlier flight can mean an early start to the journey and a long period on arrival when you have to stay awake before bedtime. As CIHY says, have something to eat at your hotel or nearby before you retire at a perfectly acceptable 9 or 10 pm (for the USA!). Do take or drink something to help you stay asleep that first night if you wish to.
The new couple of days can be a bit hard, but stick with it and go out in the Californian sunshine in the daytime to help your body realise its daytime.
And agreeing with Pucci, return on the later flight and you get home in the (early) evening and have to stay awake only a few hours and then a good night's sleep.
The overnight is long enough to actually sleep a decent amount - I always enjoy dinner on board , although alternatively you can have a nice dinner at LAX , then have a good long sleep which you don't get on the east coast routes.
Hope that helps, people are different, but I now find that UK to West coast USA return journeys quite easy and enjoyable.
wb1969 likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2021, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Agree with other posters, a later flight is preferable as you'll get to your room and sleep whatever time your arrive.

My only other tip is, be prepared to take a while to get from the plane to the hotel. I would have some non-perishable snacks so you don't have to forage locally for food or wait for food from the hotel kitchens before you pass out.
Old Feb 27, 2021, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by wb1969
Hi Folks

International borders open permitting, I'm due to fly exEU to LAX in September. I'm booked on a 1300 departure exEU, arriving in to LAX at 1910 but I am thinking about changing to an early morning departure, connecting to a flight that would get me in to LAX at 1455. I'm booked in W but there is an Avios seat in J on the 1455 departure.

Knowing there are many FTers who've done LAX/SFO etc, I'd appreciate advice as to which is better for jet lag.

I find it very difficult sleeping on planes, so even in J I'd be lucky to get more than an hour or 2.

All advice welcome.
When flying west for 8-10 hours, I always take the mid-day departure that arrives early evening such as the one you are on. I then stay awake during the flight, so I'll be ready to sleep when I arrive. I find that exercise of some sort when I arrive helps with jet lag, but it's not always possible!
Old Feb 28, 2021, 12:47 am
Formerly ItalyBAGold

I always use https://www.jetlagrooster.com/ when travelling across many time zones. It works on the principle of seeking sunlight and darkness, according to sleeping patterns and time zone differences.

My best results were SYD and TYO - I followed the plan religiously and did not suffer from jet lag at all!
Old Feb 28, 2021, 1:09 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by VSLover
doing this 6-8 times per year pre covid, i have always preferred arriving to LAX or SFO on the later flight because by the time i get home or the hotel and do my things, i am able to stay awake a while longer until 10 or 11pm and sleep great to 5ish the next morning.
I used to do this with about the same frequency pre-covid, but preferred the early AA flight (AA 135), leaving at 10am, arriving at noon. This timing awards me the opportunity to have lots of time left in the day to get things done and adjust naturally to the local time. If in business class, I usually took a little two-hour after-lunch nap about four hours into the flight.
Never had any issues with jet lag at all.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 12:02 pm

268/9

I've flown to and from LA dozens of times. Speaking for myself, I can only counsel the last flight there and back. And I, too, recommend staying off the sauce on the way out.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 3:37 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by knifeandfork
I've flown to and from LA dozens of times. Speaking for myself, I can only counsel the last flight there and back. And I, too, recommend staying off the sauce on the way out.

YMMV. i enjoy my wine so have had plenty of trips out west drinking there and sleeping quite the first night well followed by a rough next day (obviously) and a few days of jetlag.

i also have tried this whole "dont drink it helps with jetlag" a few times and its total rubbish lol. i arrive fresh, feel better the second day but zero difference in jetlag for the next few days. so i just opt to enjoy my flight to the fullest because nothing i do has ever made a difference in the 6 years of frequent london to california travel.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 3:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum Elite, Avis Presidents Club, , Enterprise Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I used to do LHR-LAX once a fortnight for two years. The later flight and straight to bed was the best option, but one I could rarely manage into my schedule. The later flight also avoids the horror of a hot journey into the city during rush hour.

For me the jetlag was pretty awful and unavoidable.

Valium, white wine (nothing fizzy), eating lightly and not sleeping on the flight out seemed to make me feel marginally better.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 8:07 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by wb1969
... exEU, arriving in to LAX at 1910 ... or ... in to LAX at 1455
A significant factor that influences the decision is what you're going to do immediately on arrival (airport hotel, drive off in a rental car, have dinner with friends etc) and what you're going to do the following day(s). Any plans ?
Old Mar 1, 2021, 8:43 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
From my past experience and being based in North America, I recommend that you catch the latest possible flight to LAX to combat jetlag.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 10:01 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Flying west bound, I try to get on the latest flight possible, mostly so I have decent lounge time without having to get up too early. A nap on the plane (unless overnight flight to Asia from US, then real sleep is called for) is my standard. I don't get jet lag generally so my advice might be a little bit useless .

Last edited by teemuflyer; Mar 3, 2021 at 11:24 am
Old Mar 1, 2021, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
A significant factor that influences the decision is what you're going to do immediately on arrival (airport hotel, drive off in a rental car, have dinner with friends etc) and what you're going to do the following day(s). Any plans ?
Pretty hectic short city break. Couple of days in LA and 2 more in San Francisco before heading back home. Going to need a lot of coffee to keep going!

Last edited by wb1969; Mar 1, 2021 at 2:56 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.