Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Company boss wins £130k payout from BA after slipping in a puddle of Baileys

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2021, 8:38 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...

Posted without comment.

British Airways pays £130k compensation to man who slipped on spilt Baileys liqueur | Daily Mail Online
Old Feb 26, 2021, 8:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Posted without comment.
That won't last long
Old Feb 26, 2021, 8:43 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
What a dreadful situation. Poor guy.
Scots_Al likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 8:45 am

Programs: BA Silver
Without knowledge of the rights and wrongs of the case, the thing which immediately strikes me as interesting is that it was BA which was found liable, rather than HAL, for a slip which apparently took place “near BA check-in desk”.

I assume there are very good reasons for that, but would be interesting to read them.
becks1 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 9:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci des Transports de Navette
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Without knowledge of the rights and wrongs of the case, the thing which immediately strikes me as interesting is that it was BA which was found liable, rather than HAL, for a slip which apparently took place “near BA check-in desk”.

I assume there are very good reasons for that, but would be interesting to read them.
I was thinking the same myself, who is responsible for cleaning the terminals?
Old Feb 26, 2021, 9:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
It looks like that's a payment made under the terms of the Montreal Convention for injury sustained in the process of boarding where negligence is irrelevant and doesn't have to be proven. Negligence and who was at fault would then be something to be argued in any follow-on civil claim.
Scots_Al, nancypants and imkevinmc like this.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by OddJobMan
I was thinking the same myself, who is responsible for cleaning the terminals?
In the lounges and parts of the campus leased / owned by BA, BA's facilities contractors. Elsewhere it should be HAL.

The check-in areas should be HAL, perhaps the article has more info but I don't really fancy checking the Daily Mail because their website is awful (and it's the DM).
shefgab, u01sss3, becks1 and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 10:18 am

The first of April comes early this year...
Old Feb 26, 2021, 10:31 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Im a new user
The first of April comes early this year...
Out of interest therefore, given the man isn’t particularly old judging by appearance, how much value would you put on losing both your business and your health due to this incident then?
86BA7, Pack and cauchy like this.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
That won't last long
Beware the evils of drink
Old Feb 26, 2021, 10:54 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by 13901
In the lounges and parts of the campus leased / owned by BA, BA's facilities contractors. Elsewhere it should be HAL.

The check-in areas should be HAL, perhaps the article has more info but I don't really fancy checking the Daily Mail because their website is awful (and it's the DM).
Blimey, you're right. The DM's website is a disgrace. More adverts than Piccadilly Circus and just about as pleasant as being there on a wet Saturday night. Irrespective of anything else, suffering brain damage from a slip in a public place is a miserable situation.
DelTroon and 13901 like this.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 10:55 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
If I had read this anywhere else, and if it had been posted by anyone else, I would have difficulty in believing this.
Several questions beg themselves. What were people doing with bottles of Baileys at a check-in desk? I am surprised that anyone slipped on it as it always strikes me as sticky? Surely the responsibility should lie with whomever is responsible for the cleaning as someone has stated. How on earth did this elude everyone here at the time as it seems to me that at any minute of the day someone from BA Forum is flying somewhere - or certainly was back in 2017.

The frivolous side of me wonders if I could sue for having drunk the stuff on one occasion as it is - to me - fit to make ice cream and nothing else. As a beverage it looks awful and with the sole exception of Drambuie is sickly, cloying and heavy.
nancypants and 13901 like this.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 10:57 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
If someone can't look where they're going, I have no idea how they were able to run a company.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Some check-in areas are rented by airlines, so depending on where the incident took place in check-in, the area may have been BA's responsibility to clean.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 11:25 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by ianwall
If someone can't look where they're going, I have no idea how they were able to run a company.
Something tells me this thread ends with a padlock.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.