Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Physical BAEC Bronze cards and bag tags eliminated

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Physical BAEC Bronze cards and bag tags eliminated

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2021, 9:58 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
I'll miss being able to use my cards in the hotel room wall socket so that I can leave my laptop and gadgets charging while out of the room without running the risk of leaving a credit card behind. Apart from that I will not miss them at all.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 9:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Well good thing I ordered mine when I turned Silver back in July. I thought this would have been across the board, but as mentioned Gold and above still can order one. Ah well, its understandable.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 10:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by golfmad
I'll miss being able to use my cards in the hotel room wall socket so that I can leave my laptop and gadgets charging while out of the room without running the risk of leaving a credit card behind. Apart from that I will not miss them at all.
Either ask for 2 keys at check in or your Boots/Tesco/Morrison/other loyalty card will also do the job.
dodgeflyer and 1Aturnleft like this.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 10:09 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
I won't complain until they start removing it from Golds to cut cost, like Finnair did to their Platinums. Many lounges still want to see physical cards, and I despise having to hand over my phone to agents to check digital cards.
varkey and oceanscape like this.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
Either ask for 2 keys at check in or your Boots/Tesco/Morrison/other loyalty card will also do the job.
I was trying to be humorous. I don't actually wrestle with this problem while traveling
Old Jan 19, 2021, 10:19 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Boots and numerous supermarkets still provide loyalty cards which are the right size, and actually my local coffee shop's paper loyalty card (which doesn't have my name on it) works in most places.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 10:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Amazon sells blank plastic card stock in packs of 100. You can add your own design.
golfmad likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by alex67500
Boots and numerous supermarkets still provide loyalty cards which are the right size, and actually my local coffee shop's paper loyalty card (which doesn't have my name on it) works in most places.
People. This is not a real problem!
Old Jan 19, 2021, 11:39 am
A13

Programs: BA Silver
Any other loyalty card will work i believe, nectar/clubcard for example.
Or just ask for 2 keycards at checkin..
Old Jan 19, 2021, 11:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
As others have mentioned, I was still given the option to order a Gold card.

And another +1 from me for having the physical card to access lounges. Admittedly, its not every day I’m asked (especially at the moment), but there has been the odd occasion when they do need a physical card. Most notably at the EI lounge in Dublin when flying with them - they needed to swipe the card, which wouldn’t have been possible with a digital version. And with them not being in OneWorld, status wasn’t mentioned on my boarding pass either.
Spanish likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
People. This is not a real problem!
I've been in a few hotels where it only takes hotel keys (it must read the NFC chip), it seemed to detect if a housekeeping key was in the holder as when my room was getting cleaned a housekeeping in progress light was on the panel outside my room. Anyway, that's drifting totally off topic.

I've never had to show a BA card to access a lounge and I first became silver in 2012 and then gold the year after.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I've always loved being able to do that with a Clubcard (preferably a dead one).

But I have once been stymied in a hotel that I've now stayed at several times, where the card slot for that purpose really does not work unless you leave one of the hotel's key cards in it.

[ETA:] I see that layz has had the same experience!
Old Jan 19, 2021, 1:31 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by jwhite9185
And another +1 from me for having the physical card to access lounges. Admittedly, its not every day I’m asked (especially at the moment), but there has been the odd occasion when they do need a physical card. Most notably at the EI lounge in Dublin when flying with them - they needed to swipe the card, which wouldn’t have been possible with a digital version. And with them not being in OneWorld, status wasn’t mentioned on my boarding pass either.
But the EI lounge accepts digital cards. This changed about 2 years ago, I think I was there on the day they updated the equipment. Aer Lingus accept digital cards from their own app not least because they too aren't great about sending out AerClub cards. Either way the DUB lounge (and fast track) are happy with digital cards both from BA and Aer Lingus.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 2:24 pm

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
If you're GFL, is there a tattoo option?
Old Jan 19, 2021, 3:58 pm

Just ask reception for another room key. Then you use that in the light slot. Never been a problem.
Crampedin13A likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.