Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Physical BAEC Bronze cards and bag tags eliminated

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Physical BAEC Bronze cards and bag tags eliminated

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2021, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite & Lifetime Gold, Heathrow Rewards Premium, Tesco Clubcard
Physical BAEC Bronze cards and bag tags enhanced

Apologies if this is posted elsewhere but I couldn't see if it was.

I logged into BAEC and noticed the following message:

Your Digital Membership Card

We’re taking steps to fully digitalise the Club experience, and so your Bronze membership card is now purely digital. You can view your card and access your benefits via the British Airways app on your mobile, or here on our website – quickly, conveniently and from wherever you are in the world.

This is fine, but I have had requests for physical cards to be presented in the past (E.g. at HKG when I was using the J check-in area for our oneworld friends at CX).

What happens if a physical card is demanded in the future and where they do not accept an electronic card?

I also noticed that under Executive Club Items, bag tags can no longer be ordered. Again, I have no major issue with this, but they have come handy in the past (E.g. when lounge staff looking after my luggage cannot spell my name so they just glance at my tag and let me enter the lounge).

Last edited by Paren; Aug 29, 2021 at 1:08 pm
Old Jan 19, 2021, 8:25 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
I think it's a good idea for these to be removed and I'd move everyone at all status levels to electronic versions if possible.

The only possible exception - and it's a stretch - are third party lounges in far flung places that absolutely insist on a physical card and for that you're not going to get anywhere with a bronze one anyway.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 8:38 am

Programs: BA - Bronze , IHG - Spire Ambassador, Hilton - Diamond
Just logged in and saw the same for my silver card, so it's not just bronze being targeted. Guess this is the logical next step after automatically not mailing them out anymore
Paren and imkevinmc like this.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 8:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Is it no longer possible to order a replacement physical card if you go in to Manage my account>>Replacement Executive Club card or bag tags?
Old Jan 19, 2021, 8:45 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by KARFA
Is it no longer possible to order a replacement physical card if you go in to Manage my account>>Replacement Executive Club card or bag tags?
It's not showing as an option for me (silver)
Old Jan 19, 2021, 8:49 am

Programs: BA - Bronze , IHG - Spire Ambassador, Hilton - Diamond
Originally Posted by KARFA
Th

These are the only options I get when clicking the order replacement card or luggage tags link
KARFA, SxMan and casey89 like this.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 9:04 am

Ah ok, fair enough. Thanks for checking.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 9:32 am

Good, they were a waste of paper and plastic (and shipping).
Old Jan 19, 2021, 9:37 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Still available for GGL. I think there was a thread predicting this a few months ago??

Old Jan 19, 2021, 9:40 am

Yes so this was the previous related thread BA to stop BAEC Welcome packs

At the time I think you could still order a card and tags if you want, but this option seems to be removed for tiers up to silver gold now [EDIT: see tom139's post below, still available for gold and ggl].
ThatT1Feeling likes this.

Last edited by KARFA; Jan 19, 2021 at 9:55 am
Old Jan 19, 2021, 9:46 am

Rediculous especially for Silver with certain lounges (outstations and some OW partners) only accepting physical cards and not recognising the app....
Why happens if your phone is out of battery (not impossible on a long trip, especially with USB ports not available on all carriers and fleets)?. What happens if for whatever reason your membership number has not been properly recorded on your boarding pass....
hungry, Spanish and MatJarosz like this.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 9:48 am

Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold
Physical cards are available for Gold and above only.
KARFA and oceanscape like this.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 9:55 am

Not really an enhancement either.
I guess one can print out a membership card for annoying outstations.
I also recall that physical cards can be used for checking either with BA or some OW partners (insert card to self service checkin, and it automatically finds your booking and commences checkin...)
Old Jan 19, 2021, 9:56 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by GBOAC
Why happens if your phone is out of battery (not impossible on a long trip, especially with USB ports not available on all carriers and fleets)?.
Have you ever been to an airport that doesn't have a power outlet you can use?

Originally Posted by GBOAC
What happens if for whatever reason your membership number has not been properly recorded on your boarding pass....
Come on, this is the home of miles and points collection. This would never happen
Paren likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 9:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Sic transit. I knew that things were going from bad to worse when I boarded at IDW and they couldn't even be bothered to put a propeller on the engine.

Anyone who is concerned may print a copy of their card using the drop down menu and slide that into their folder of critical travel documents. Over time, the demands for the physical cards will go away because nobody will have them.

Last edited by Often1; Jan 19, 2021 at 10:24 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.