Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR - MLE (BA - Cancellation / Qatar rebook?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR - MLE (BA - Cancellation / Qatar rebook?)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2021, 4:12 am
Original Poster

LHR - MLE (BA - Cancellation / Qatar re-route?)

Hi there, Interested to here if there are any success stories of having your cash booking(club) rerouted on Qatar.
I was presented the option QATAR option via MMB but it doesnt work on the final confirmation screen, and the agent i spoke to attempted to rebook my INBOUND on QATAR but got a "system says no" error, he reported the policy doesn't allow him to rebook me on QATAR, i can fly a day or two later with BA, but id prefer to keep my original dates due to hotel bookings etc.

Last edited by babyg_wc; Jan 19, 2021 at 4:24 am
Old Jan 19, 2021, 4:36 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Unfortunately the agent was correct. MLE isn’t on the list of destinations for the rebook on to QR policy. Tbh I am not sure what is supposed to be offered other than rebooking on BA.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 4:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
Unfortunately the agent was correct. MLE isn’t on the list of destinations for the rebook on to QR policy. Tbh I am not sure what is supposed to be offered other than rebooking on BA.
Thanks KARFA - my booking isn't for a while, but i assume if BA wont re-route on the same day as the original flight then they are on the hook for accommodation?

The problem is the Maldives isn't the cheapest place to stay, so BA would be looking at circa £1500 per night (just one night), note i wouldnt want to fly back to the main island and "wait" there for a BA flight just because the accommodation is cheaper.. Ill leave it a few weeks and see what changes,

Still interested to hear if anybody managed to get rerouted on QATAR (sometimes people get exceptions).
Old Jan 19, 2021, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Hi - good thread here for cancellation / amendment options and advice

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread - FlyerTalk Forums
Old Jan 19, 2021, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Hi - good thread here for cancellation / amendment options and advice

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread - FlyerTalk Forums
Hi mikeyfly, the problem is the mega threads are overflowing with info.. and its hard to weed out was is relevant/applicable .. thanks thou.. i look there again..
Old Jan 19, 2021, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by babyg_wc
Thanks KARFA - my booking isn't for a while, but i assume if BA wont re-route on the same day as the original flight then they are on the hook for accommodation?

The problem is the Maldives isn't the cheapest place to stay, so BA would be looking at circa £1500 per night (just one night), note i wouldnt want to fly back to the main island and "wait" there for a BA flight just because the accommodation is cheaper.. Ill leave it a few weeks and see what changes,

Still interested to hear if anybody managed to get rerouted on QATAR (sometimes people get exceptions).
It seems wise indeed to wait for a few weeks rather than ask for immediate rebook.
The covid situation in Maldives is worsening very rapidly. From a seven-day daily average of 17 cases on 21 Dec, it is now 60 and rising rapidly. 60 cases does not look large but with a half million population (plus some tourists), that's getting significant and rising fast. More flights could be cancelled . Better to wait and possibly ask refund for your current booking or see what is actually flying.
babyg_wc likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 7:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As a practical matter, planning more than 30 days out is largely an investment in frustration. Even that may be far too long, but one has to start somewhere.

Rapidly changing conditions at origin, transit & destination are more than likely to cause significant cancellations, timings and even the ability to travel at all or via various transit points. Right now, if the situation deteriorates, you have the right to cancel for a full refund without penalties of any kind and thus to spend your money on something you can have. If you reroute and you no longer want to travel, but the flight goes, the best you get -- depending on the carrier on which you are booked -- is a reroute / credit which you may not want.
brunos and babyg_wc like this.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 7:17 am

Note that BA only has a "duty of care" towards you and their cap is £200 a night for accom. If you really couldn't stay within that I'd take copius screenshots that there were no alternatives. There isn't a chance that BA will reimburse you £1500 a night.

The simple approach is to change your dates to suit the BA flights but I agree with others , no point trying to touch this yet
Old Jan 19, 2021, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sammyg901
Note that BA only has a "duty of care" towards you and their cap is £200 a night for accom. If you really couldn't stay within that I'd take copius screenshots that there were no alternatives. There isn't a chance that BA will reimburse you £1500 a night.
I dont disagree with any of the comments, I was hoping to fly back the same day as i booked (for various reasons,) but i certainly wont be fighting with BA over a days delay or have unrealistic expectations of what they will pay for...I was of course just hoping for a more optimized solution. Thanks for the comments. I shall hold onto my cancelled tickets until i have more info closer to the time.

Last edited by Prospero; Jan 19, 2021 at 11:52 am Reason: Repair quotation frame
Old Jan 19, 2021, 10:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum Elite, Avis Presidents Club, , Enterprise Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
BA's Duty of Care obligations have been discussed at length on various threads, particularly of late in regard to MLE. Someone with better recall may be able to summarise, or share their experience.

All I'd note here is that the £200 cap is an arbitrary limited set by BA and doesn't discharge their obligations. It can, and has, been exceeded. You'll need to wrangle with Customer Services for anything in excess.
babyg_wc likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you're travelling up to March, I think you'll have to take a refund and put this down to experience.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 10:24 am

The Maldives has suffered with tourism of late, when we were there in December (a substitute for an earlier Seychelles holiday that you managed to make if I recall) occupancy was around 30%. I’m sure the resort could accommodate a date change if necessary. If you did need to extend by a day or two, there may well be a cheaper room available than the super room you are paying for, I doubt BA would pay any more than the standard room on the resort.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bluemoon68
The Maldives has suffered with tourism of late, when we were there in December (a substitute for an earlier Seychelles holiday that you managed to make if I recall) occupancy was around 30%. I’m sure the resort could accommodate a date change if necessary. If you did need to extend by a day or two, there may well be a cheaper room available than the super room you are paying for, I doubt BA would pay any more than the standard room on the resort.
Hi Bluemoon, nice to hear from you, I'm sure the resort will happy host me for an additional night, thou its unlikely to be free, as an FYI my flights returning from the Seychelles were also delayed (by one day too), but it was easier to claim the extra night on my AmEx card due to the relatively low cost for extending my stay vs Maldives/
Note I'm in a "normal" room (Conrad Maldives), the super room is £20,000 per night :-)
Old Jan 19, 2021, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
If you're travelling up to March, I think you'll have to take a refund and put this down to experience.
Yeah I'll see how it pans out, its a shame because i secured the cheap 747 £999 tickets in October when it appeared things were calming down... reward flights are like hens teeth to MLE,and rescheduling till next year will most likely result in being denied by the ticket validity rule often used (1 year from issue), so its almost a now or never for us

Perhaps there will be another window (like there was in october) to jet out... lets see, lots of good views/perspectives given.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 11:49 am

We have successfully rebooked our cancelled BA flight to Qatar. The Mr rang the hotline and they were able to change our flights. I think it depends who you speak to. The agent we got had to ask their manager if it can be done. Also, it depends on the availability of flights around your travel date.
babyg_wc likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.