Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA F routes 2021 and beyond

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2021, 2:06 pm

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by CirrusDesAigles
Agree, Qantas mothballing the entire A380 fleet until 2023 tells you all you need to know. Can't see BA restarting SYD until 2023 at the earliest and I suspect by then, demand won't warrant it and they'll rely on feeding traffic via SIN and HKG.
Only way it will continue is with an LHR-SYD non stop direct which they can charge a premium for. Will be a small plane. For the rest they will leave it to the Middle Eastern airlines....
FD.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 2:14 pm
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by brunos
Any forecast on the duration of these restrictions is a wild guess. Covid has shown its ability for unexpected turns. It has always been to the worse, but who knows...
It is true though that some countries have decided that having incoming visitors (and risky returnees) is to be prohibited in order to restore normal domestic production and life.One can think of Australia, New Zealand, China, Taiwan, Vietnam and probably more to come. Then they might slowly open up to essential business travel.

Paid F is mostly used by business travellers, and there is some hope that it will resume.
But I would be astounded if there was any business case for BA to keep its Sydney flight in the coming years.
Unfortunately Covid has had many unexpected turns for the worse. And when it seems things can't get any worse, they get much worse. In any case, I don't see how current restrictions globally aren't going to continue to get even tougher. When it comes to Australia, these ridiculous caps just get smaller and they will not ease for years. And when restrictions start to ease, in a few years, it will be many more years before travel isn't so restrictive that it puts off many people.

I don't think F paid or not is mostly business travellers. My understanding is hardly any business people/ceos/execs etc actually travel F, particularly post GFC.

I just think any way you spin it, as you say, there is no business case for this flight, let alone F. With all my heart I hope I'm wrong because I have flown this route with BA F and I enjoyed it very much and would definitely do it again. I was a big fan of the timing out of Sydney as well, but unfortunately Covid-19 has destroyed this route.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation

BA have clearly been trying to price F more realistically to attract cash business rather than filling it with Avios redemptions / upgrades in the last few years which makes some sense as a strategy, but the issue BA has is if the customers it is trying to attract just can't book F for other reasons this plan doesn't work. My impression is the combination of the Club Suite roll-out reducing the differential between J and F, reduced premium demand during the COVID recovery period and this dynamic will basically kill BA F on quite a few secondary routes over the next few years, despite BA's attempts to keep it alive with smaller cabins.
BOS had better not lose F anytime soon. Given the rollout of the new club, F will soon* be the only seats without a footwell.

*soon in seat installation terms.
Will100 likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 1:15 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by HB7
Unfortunately Covid has had many unexpected turns for the worse.
Has it really though? It's done pretty much what was expected from what I can see. We were all warned that there'd be a second spike in he Winter, and that's exactly what's happened.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 2:43 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Has it really though? It's done pretty much what was expected from what I can see. We were all warned that there'd be a second spike in he Winter, and that's exactly what's happened.
And of course you’re absolutely right. Even last March on the NY Times The Daily podcast, health reporter Donald McNeil was emphasising that while everyone talks of the 1918 Spanish flu, it was actually its impact in 1919 that was much worse. He was saying it wasn’t going away and even with a vaccine it would take a long time for life to resume fully. But for many of us – myself included – whilst we all knew that a second wave was almost inevitable, maybe we didn’t fully consider how that would play out. I’m a fairly cautious person, but last April booked an ex-EU to the US for October 2020. I did so knowing that BWC was operating, but still, I thought there was a decent chance I’d be able to do the trip, including a b2b in SOF… That seems absolutely ludicrous now! I’ve pretty much written off the idea of any long haul travel this year, but I’ve only recently come to that realisation. Initially I thought my October trip would be fine later this year. Now it may well be that later in 2021 much more travel is possible, but anything close to normal – no masks etc., seems highly unlikely for a long time. I don’t think I had fully absorbed just how long it will be until things feel anything like normal travel.
DYKWIA and Keystone like this.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 3:42 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by gustavmahler
And of course you’re absolutely right. Even last March on the NY Times The Daily podcast, health reporter Donald McNeil was emphasising that while everyone talks of the 1918 Spanish flu, it was actually its impact in 1919 that was much worse. He was saying it wasn’t going away and even with a vaccine it would take a long time for life to resume fully. But for many of us – myself included – whilst we all knew that a second wave was almost inevitable, maybe we didn’t fully consider how that would play out. I’m a fairly cautious person, but last April booked an ex-EU to the US for October 2020. I did so knowing that BWC was operating, but still, I thought there was a decent chance I’d be able to do the trip, including a b2b in SOF… That seems absolutely ludicrous now! I’ve pretty much written off the idea of any long haul travel this year, but I’ve only recently come to that realisation. Initially I thought my October trip would be fine later this year. Now it may well be that later in 2021 much more travel is possible, but anything close to normal – no masks etc., seems highly unlikely for a long time. I don’t think I had fully absorbed just how long it will be until things feel anything like normal travel.
Yes it was indeed the second wave of Spanish Flu that killed millions but this is a well known phenomenon. If you go back to black death and the plague etc it is very typical for the second not the first wave to be the one that really is disastrous and this second wave is still playing out with multiple mutations which are likely at some point to defeat our current crop of vaccines.

And, if you want the really bad news, there will be multiple future waves so expect at least a third and forth wave. They get progressively smaller after the second wave but of course no previous infections disease which has caused a pandemic has had a vaccine to counter it so no idea if the second wave, which will get at least a bit suppressed with vaccination, just means a bigger subsequent wave.....

FD.
DYKWIA and gustavmahler like this.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 3:49 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Originally Posted by Flying Doctor
Yes it was indeed the second wave of Spanish Flu that killed millions but this is a well known phenomenon. If you go back to black death and the plague etc it is very typical for the second not the first wave to be the one that really is disastrous and this second wave is still playing out with multiple mutations which are likely at some point to defeat our current crop of vaccines.

And, if you want the really bad news, there will be multiple future waves so expect at least a third and forth wave. They get progressively smaller after the second wave but of course no previous infections disease which has caused a pandemic has had a vaccine to counter it so no idea if the second wave, which will get at least a bit suppressed with vaccination, just means a bigger subsequent wave.....

FD.
Thanks for the insight, that's really interesting. And back to the topic, that really does put the fture of First into perspective. A cheery thought for a Wednesday morning...!
Old Jan 20, 2021, 4:12 am
Suspended

And we were told by the really smart scientists very early on that in most places, near normalcy was going to be fall 2021 based on an ambitious but doable vaccine timeline which is exactly where we are on track to be in the US, UK, most of Europe, etc.

I have no idea where these projections of Australia having its border shut for years followed up years of tight restrictions are coming from. Australia has said they wouldn't lift all restrictions this year, that's it. And that makes sense since COVID wouldn't be fully eliminated this year.

Last edited by KSVVZ2015; Jan 20, 2021 at 4:18 am
Old Jan 20, 2021, 4:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by HB7

I don't think F paid or not is mostly business travellers. My understanding is hardly any business people/ceos/execs etc actually travel F, particularly post GFC.
I agree with you here for the most part. Few major companies allow F for anyone these days. Maybe C suite at some companies but its otherwise a bastion of certain deal markers, investors, etc. who play by their own rules, rich people, and redemptions/upgrades.

10 years ago, I know a major US pharma company that allowed anyone into F for flights over like 10 hours (J beneath that). Those days are gone.

That said, while I (in a professional services firm) can only purchase F if J is not available (though on the specific flight I pick, I'm not forced to take sub-optimal flights to find J), I've spent at least 50% of my business travel over the last few years on BA in F. The buy J and get one leg for free in F promo has been running nearly constantly for a couple years. And in many cases it was why I picked BA over an airline with better J (usually day flight in F, red eye in J where I didn't care much > better J product both ways). Plus a decent number of J-F op ups as a GGL. Point being, F is still relevant to BA's high value sales even if its not being paid for. That said, faster than expected rollout of the CS (if coupled with return to a proper soft product in J) will help sway people like me to BA regardless of an F upgrade promo.
HB7 likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 7:30 am
HB7

The strain found in the UK - that is 70% more transmissible - was that predicted or warned? And yes there have been many strains, but was that warned anywhere?

Then, a few days after that, the South Africa strain, which reportedly was even more transmissible. That was not warned or predicted either.

While we all expected a second wave in the winter, no one expected it to be this bad. Professor Whitty said in late March that if we kept the deaths under 20,000, that would be a good result. We are at over 4 times that and climbing rapidly. So that is another horrible turn for the worse.

Multiple vaccines were made in record time, which was again much better than expected, but this still has not stopped Coronavirus absolutely raging.

So was any of the above expected? Somehow I don't think so.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 9:20 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by HB7
So was any of the above expected? Somehow I don't think so.
Well - I expected it, and from the above responses, so did others
Old Jan 20, 2021, 10:27 am
HB7

Well - I expected it, and from the above responses, so did others
Lol. I’ll make sure to consult you and all two of those who agreed with you about what the future holds for us in the pandemic
Old Jan 20, 2021, 1:41 pm

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by HB7
Lol. I’ll make sure to consult you and all two of those who agreed with you about what the future holds for us in the pandemic
Make that three and in my view the share price has got upside to come so don’t sell. 😎😎
Old Jan 20, 2021, 2:39 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Hyatt, Marriot, HHonors
Routes where Take Off Weight is Limited, will tend to have First.
So I would say JNB/NBO/SIN/HKG will have flights with F.
Bellerina likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Getafix
Routes where Take Off Weight is Limited, will tend to have First.
So I would say JNB/NBO/SIN/HKG will have flights with F.
Hi. To save me trawling ba.com availability, can anyone list F routes for summer 22? I'm very aware of a few of the obvious ones but there might be a, few out there that might be interesting. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.