Search

Holiday in USA?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2020, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Virgin Atlantic Silver
Holiday in USA?

Calling immigration experts:

We are currently in Barbados, British citizens.

After spending 14 days here, can we head over to the USA under an esta and spend a month or two out there?
Old Dec 20, 2020, 4:51 pm

In short, yes. Have evidence (booking itinerary for Barbados, for example) that you have been outside of the UK/IE/Schengen for 14 days just in case, and you are all set.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by James91
In short, yes. Have evidence (booking itinerary for Barbados, for example) that you have been outside of the UK/IE/Schengen for 14 days just in case, and you are all set.
Thanks.

We're seeing the headlines from here and just don't want to head home...
Old Dec 20, 2020, 5:09 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by bmj1
Thanks.

Be aware there is a travel ban for any non US citizen (with few exceptions) until the 31st of December.
It is not clear if it will be extended or not.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 5:22 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Pelu
Be aware there is a travel ban for any non US citizen (with few exceptions) until the 31st of December.
It is not clear if it will be extended or not.
What travel ban are you referring to?
Geordie405 likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
I think it's a misphrase by bmj1 ; he possibly tried to mean that any foreigner (non-US citizen/resident ) who has been in the UK could not travel to the USA.
James91 likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 5:25 pm

Programs: BAEC, Flying Blue
Yes it should be no issue as far as I know.
Rob
James91 likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all. Sounds like we're in the clear
Pelu likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 6:20 pm

Programs: BA
Oh yes, sorry I misread it. If you do 14 days out of eu you will be fine
Old Dec 20, 2020, 11:52 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by bmj1
Thanks.

The USA is a big place, make sure you choose your destination carefully. I can't imagine preferring to be in the USA over UK based on headlines. Does your trip insurance cover Covid related treatments? Someone in Seattle got a $1,000,000 bill before insurance.
anniegray likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Give it a day or two and most countries will be reporting the mutated strain in their sunny lands
Old Dec 21, 2020, 5:34 am

I think that what you are suggesting is doable, question is do you really want to?

The US is really divided into a few different zones at the moment :

1. places that have various levels of restrictions that are taken seriously (eg Seattle, no indoor dining, no museums, not much in the line of tourist activities : cities are dead) and three are low Covid levels
2. places with no to few restrictions and raging Covid levels. If you get sick minimal hospital services will be available to you and keep in mind even one night in a hospital is likely to cost you over $10,000 minimum.

Also keep in mind weather - you'll have to stay in the southern 3rd of the country to avoid snow.

Why not stay in Barbados or island hop somewhere else in the Caribbean with low Covid and great weather. I'm in Turks and Caicos, weather is perfect, island is quiet. Lovely place to be right now.

Ray
Old Dec 21, 2020, 6:08 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by Raymoland
Why not stay in Barbados or island hop somewhere else in the Caribbean with low Covid and great weather.
This.
I'd gladly trade the crappy weather we're having in Northeast USA for Barbados right now!
mikeyfly and Cap'n Benj like this.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 6:45 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
A friend and his wife are currently working on a business launch in the USA. They are both British. For some reason, they ended up with the wrong visa type. So every few months they have to go out of the USA to somewhere quite horrible, like Barbados, for 2 weeks, and then they are allowed back in. It has not been an issue, so far.
Komodromou, narvik and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 9:51 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
If you can get a Covid test per their rules, Hawaii would be a pretty safe place right now. Fly via DFW and you can get an on airport approved rapid test. Not everything is open but enough is to make it fun, and it has one of the lowest Covid rates anywhere,

Last edited by Furby; Dec 21, 2020 at 10:30 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.