Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Emotional moment coming back to Dominican Republic

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2020, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Executive Club

There were evidently quite a few tears at Punta Cana airport yesterday when BA restarted their service, the first flight since March. They even gave a water salute (photos in the Twitter link). With an economy that depends so much on tourism and one of the busiest airports in the Caribbean this means so much. So many Dominicans who have been genuinely struggling to make ends meet for months can go back to work and start to rebuild their lives. The weather in Dom Rep is absolutely beautiful right now and there are no Covid requirements for arriving passengers so we are hoping these flights will fill up.

our_kid, Lynyrd, T8191 and 8 others like this.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 7:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold
Originally Posted by JessicaB
There were evidently quite a few tears at Punta Cana airport yesterday when BA restarted their service, the first flight since March. They even gave a water salute (photos in the Twitter link). With an economy that depends so much on tourism and one of the busiest airports in the Caribbean this means so much. So many Dominicans who have been genuinely struggling to make ends meet for months can go back to work and start to rebuild their lives. The weather in Dom Rep is absolutely beautiful right now and there are no Covid requirements for arriving passengers so we are hoping these flights will fill up.

https://twitter.com/PUJAirport/statu...867715/photo/3
Would love to go...however, the UK's FCDO still advises against all but essential travel to the whole of the Dominican Republic based on the current assessment of COVID-19 risks. Hopefully this will be reviewed soon.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Thanks, JessicaB ... first good travel news we’ve had in ages!

In October we booked (BA Hols) travel in late Feb to PUJ and up the north coast to Zoetry. Now we just need to get some insurance cover sorted, unless the DR Govt will be kind enough to extend their Visitor cover plan, which expires on 31 Dec! Do you have any useful contacts who might push that scheme onwards a little bit? 😎

PS: Important question ... was this from LHR? Our Feb booking is still showing JER-LHR but then LGW-PUJ.

Last edited by T8191; Dec 12, 2020 at 10:21 am
Old Dec 12, 2020, 10:57 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by T8191
PS: Important question ... was this from LHR? Our Feb booking is still showing JER-LHR but then LGW-PUJ.
LGW.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Airprox
LGW.
Thanks ... and ...
Damn! Oh, how tired we are of the inter-airport hop!
Old Dec 12, 2020, 11:09 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Wonderful news to hear more and more flights restarting
Old Dec 12, 2020, 3:55 pm
Suspended

Great news!

I am booked for February and am hoping to avoid rebooking via MAD.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 3:56 pm
Suspended

Any ideas on loads?
Old Dec 12, 2020, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

In October we booked (BA Hols) travel in late Feb to PUJ and up the north coast to Zoetry. Now we just need to get some insurance cover sorted, unless the DR Govt will be kind enough to extend their Visitor cover plan, which expires on 31 Dec! Do you have any useful contacts who might push that scheme onwards a little bit? 😎

The PUJ service is operating from Gatwick North Terminal. I would suggest you get insurance through Battleface, just in case. I imagine the DR government will extend the Visitor Cover plan. The new president is very pro tourism. However, I always think it's better to have more insurance than less just in case.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
Any ideas on loads?
From what I can see on Expertflyer the loads are good. My return on 12th Jan is completely full in J for example.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 4:37 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC

if you can swing for the helicopter transfer then go for it! It’s about a 90-120 min transfer via road from the airport to the resort. The helicopter transfer takes 20-25 mins and the views are spectacular. The helicopter lands right on the beach of the resort. You will have a cold towel and a glass of bubbles in your hand before your luggage is even 1/3 of the way to the resort. It really is a wonderful resort. Enjoy.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
if you can swing for the helicopter transfer then go for it! It’s about a 90-120 min transfer via road from the airport to the resort. The helicopter transfer takes 20-25 mins and the views are spectacular. The helicopter lands right on the beach of the resort. You will have a cold towel and a glass of bubbles in your hand before your luggage is even 1/3 of the way to the resort. It really is a wonderful resort. Enjoy.
And if you have the money to pay for a helicopter transfer, you definitely have the money to pay for insurance which covers you for Foreign Office advising against travel.
EDIwanderer and AirbusA350 like this.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 4:55 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
And if you have the money to pay for a helicopter transfer, you definitely have the money to pay for insurance which covers you for Foreign Office advising against travel.
Thankfully, as a US based Brit, FO advice means FA to me. ; I’m currently back in the UK at the present moment for a funeral later In the week, after serving my 14 days in quarantine. I’m also hoping to be able to visit my mother up in Scotland for Christmas, but that depends on wee Nicky keeping current agreements in place.
JessicaB likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 5:30 pm
Suspended

From what I can see on Expertflyer the loads are good. My return on 12th Jan is completely full in J for example.
Good stuff! I am booked in J in early February. I bought J tickets last month for £1,100 return, now they are showing around £4K on skyscanner! Must indicate good bookings. I guess people are getting fed up and fancy a holiday now, and with DR being open with no restrictions its a good contender.

I actually think DR and Mexico will get even more popular with Brits now the EU are saying they are going to ban us going in after 1st January. Means Greece, Spain, Portugal and Cyprus are off limits, so DR/Mexico will inevitably get more business.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
Good stuff! I am booked in J in early February. I bought J tickets last month for £1,100 return, now they are showing around £4K on skyscanner! Must indicate good bookings. I guess people are getting fed up and fancy a holiday now, and with DR being open with no restrictions its a good contender.

I actually think DR and Mexico will get even more popular with Brits now the EU are saying they are going to ban us going in after 1st January. Means Greece, Spain, Portugal and Cyprus are off limits, so DR/Mexico will inevitably get more business.
I agree, and to be honest most people who come to DR just stay in an all-inclusive in Punta Cana and don't scratch the surface of the country. Santo Domingo is a huge city and is well worth a visit, lots of culture, great nightlife, old colonial streets to mooch around. And outside the resorts and the cities it's easy to find a completely empty beach with powder-white sand and a lovely little hotel charging buttons per night. Nothing not to like.

This is a video that they shot during the early lockdown in Santo Domingo which gives an idea of some of what the city has to offer

flyingcrazy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.