Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA15/16 [LHR-SIN-SYD] to be operated by 787-9 from Oct 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA15/16 [LHR-SIN-SYD] to be operated by 787-9 from Oct 2021

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2020, 3:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
LHR-SIN-SYD in the cramped Y on a 787 really would be one of the most uncomfortable routes of any airline.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by wb1969
With all the discussion about whether BA would keep the route now there is a QR codeshare, I guess this is good news, although I have no desire to ever fly on any 787 variant.
Isn’t SYD specifically not a part of the QR-BA JV? I thought that was one of the pre-conditions for it to be approved?
Old Dec 1, 2020, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AirbusA350
Isn’t SYD specifically not a part of the QR-BA JV? I thought that was one of the pre-conditions for it to be approved?
From this:-- Yes
ExecTrav (AU)---->BA, Qatar alliance for Australian flights gets the go-ahead
<snip>
It will allow for BA and Qatar to co-ordinate on schedules, pricing, sales and marketing, capacity, frequent flyer programs and lounge access on routes "between four Australian cities and the UK/Europe (which) operate via Doha" – those cities currently being Canberra, Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth.The northern hemisphere end of the alliance taps into over 100 destinations predominately in the UK, France, Germany and Spain.

Sydney is the sole exception, as the ACCC notes it is already served by both BA and Qatar Airways, with the Sydney-London route "highly contested... any attempt by the Parties to co-ordinate on the routes would be quickly defeated by the other airlines who offer services on the route, including Qantas, Emirates, Etihad, Singapore Airlines and Cathay Pacific."
<snip>
QR are also now flying to BNE.
AirbusA350 likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 10:42 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Good, since I have never been keen on F on 777, much preferring F on 787, although I really do not care for those silly electrically controlled dimming on the 787 windows.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 10:58 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Whilst I prefer the F blinds on other BA aircraft I have never been seriously inconvenienced with the 787 windows when fully dimmed even in full daylight.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 11:08 am

Yuk. Can't think of anything worse, certainly in an Economy window seat. 9 abreast with my shoulder jammed against the cabin wall. And, as noted above, forced window dimmed during the day.
Would suggest flying on the A380 to SIN and then transfer for the shorter hop...
QR and CX would be preferable to aviod the 787 if in Y.

I presume the 777 is being reassigned to plug a 747-sized gap somewhere. Bad enough loosing the queen, let alone a cascade effect of being stuck on vastly inferior metal (carbon fibre) on other routes.

BA need to get F on the A350 ASAP as this is really the only comfortable long haul twin left in the fleet... (or install 8 abreast in the 787, which is even less likely). Hopefully the 777-9 will be wider and more spacious.
Stez likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 11:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by wilsnunn
LHR-SIN-SYD in the cramped Y on a 787 really would be one of the most uncomfortable routes of any airline.
If it’s going to be a long term plan, the re-fit for club suite should include Y 2-4-2 in B789.
aidy likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 11:26 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Would BA's 789's have the range required to operate LHR-PER-SYD, I wonder if plans for that (or similar) are under development?
Old Dec 2, 2020, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by TravelNew
If it’s going to be a long term plan, the re-fit for club suite should include Y 2-4-2 in B789.
Unfortunately, economy yields on that route won't pay for 8 abreast economy.

What would be more interesting is if the A350-1000 can be tweaked to do LHR-SYD nonstop. This is what QF was looking at, and if BA could pull it off post-COVID it could capture a big fraction of the very high and high yielding (F), J, and W passengers on this route. Though I doubt BA is this adventurous!
Old Dec 2, 2020, 11:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ianwall
Would BA's 789's have the range required to operate LHR-PER-SYD, I wonder if plans for that (or similar) are under development?
LHR-PER may have different crew rest requirements to LHR-SIN.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 11:46 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TravelNew
Qantas 789s have 3-3-3 in the back and their LHR-PER-MEL flights were carrying good loads.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ianwall
On the QF route MEL-PER-LHR QF are able to take domestic pax MEL-PER. BA would not be able to take AU domestic passengers.
On long haul being able to pickup/drop passengers at the intermediate/fuel/crew stop is worth while and probably needed.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 11:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cauchy
Unfortunately, economy yields on that route won't pay for 8 abreast economy....
Depends on who you’re deciding to compete with in the longer term.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 12:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by GBOAC
Hopefully the 777-9 will be wider and more spacious.
I believe the 777-9 is 10 cm wider than the -200/-300.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I believe the 777-9 is 10 cm wider than the -200/-300.
So those ten across in Y can an enjoy an extra 1cm each
nancypants and EDIwanderer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.