Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA greed in a time of very low demand

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2020, 2:37 am

it's strange to call BA greedy when you state that the £40 charge each leg is MORE than the cost of the ticket! Like others have said, some people are willing to pay that price, and if you have status, you'd be glad that BA are charging that much to keep the seats unbooked
trooper, Sealink and Biscuittin like this.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 3:03 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by quakered
Absolutely ludicrous to call this action "greedy" because it does not deliver the result you want. BA is losing millions of Pounds a day and struggling to compete against Air France and Lufthansa who are receiving bungs from their respective governments despite this being against EU law (who would have thought?)
IAG were happy enough to accept help for Iberia and Aer Lingus.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 3:06 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by wb1969
I was just reading another thread about selecting exit row seats for free when a passenger holds status and it got me thinking about the benefit of charging for seat selection in times of low demand.

I recently had a weekend in GIB, flying at the back of the bus. I had thought about booking exit row seats for each leg but BA wanted £40+ for each leg of the journey. This was more than the actual cost of my ticket.

On both legs of the trip the plane was about 25% full and none of the exit row seats were taken. Once the doors were closed, I asked if I could move to an exit row, and both times I was allowed. Total cost to me - £0.

I appreciate there is little appetite to fly in these difficult times, but surely no-one in their right mind is going to pay the exorbitant seat selection fees on short haul, so would BA not be better off just removing seat selection fees for the foreseeable future, perhaps in the hope of stimulating a little more demand?
With passenger numbers in free fall, every little helps.
An exit row is not essential to you getting to your destination.
And I think BA probably don’t want the negativity publicity if they brought in free seat selection just now then reintroduced charges at a later date.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 3:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
This whole topic seem such a non-issue at the moment, at leats to me. Seat selection, really not a big deal with relatively low loads.
stewaran likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 3:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Hertz President's Circle, HHonors Diamond
Your view of things like seat selection normally directly correlates to if your have status or not. Golds think charging is a very good thing, as it’s a real benefit to have exit row generally available even for late booking. Those without status hate it and think it’s money grabbing by BA.
Sealink and AnaTravel like this.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 3:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Hertz President's Circle, HHonors Diamond
It’s also not true to say loads are universally low. Yes on some flights. But most flights I’ve been on since June have been absolutely rammed. Full or nearly full.
Sealink likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 4:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I appreciate there is little appetite to fly in these difficult times, but surely no-one in their right mind is going to pay the exorbitant seat selection fees on short haul, so would BA not be better off just removing seat selection fees for the foreseeable future, perhaps in the hope of stimulating a little more demand?
A good point although I suspect those with the shiny cards would start throwing hissy fits about their loyalty not being being valued!!

So for the sake of peace probably best just to leave it as it is.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 7:37 pm

Is an airline that charges less than 80 quid return to fly from the UK to Gibralter exhibiting greed? Perhaps its customers who think so are just tightwads.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 8:12 pm
fomerly known as LandingGear (not Landing Gear)

I think recently they stopped charging for seat selection in CW even without status. I was left with a different feeling, that they are not greedy (though it deprived me of bragging rights that go with my Silver).
Old Dec 2, 2020, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by Biscuittin
Is an airline that charges less than 80 quid return to fly from the UK to Gibralter exhibiting greed? Perhaps its customers who think so are just tightwads.
I suppose when BA pitches itself as all things to all people then it's one of the fallouts that's anticipated. The proverbial tightwad becomes complacent at what they're getting at their price point and demands more for their £40ew. Or demands that £40ew becomes £38ew because that's what the competition are charging... but then fails to realise or recognise that the competition are doing exactly the same thing. The same tightwad will then probably resort to the assumption comparison - the assumption being that BA is a full service carrier and that they deserve more for their money otherwise they may as well fly on a LCC 🤷🏻‍♂️
Sealink and windowontheAside like this.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Dec 2, 2020 at 9:12 pm
Old Dec 3, 2020, 2:27 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by planes&trains
I think recently they stopped charging for seat selection in CW even without status. I was left with a different feeling, that they are not greedy (though it deprived me of bragging rights that go with my Silver).
No idea about the charging, pay don't pay, fly another airline. In terms of Club it struck me that as suites roll out the value of particular seats diminishes greatly. It largely becomes window/interior, little else to care about. I say this as someone that's not actually flown in a club suite.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 2:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by planes&trains
I think recently they stopped charging for seat selection in CW even without status.
No, they still do charge for it on I and R fares for anyone without status.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 3:08 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
I really don't see how removing seat selection fees would stimulate more demand. As you say, most people are choosing not to fly right now. For the vast majority of people, their decision not to travel has absolutely nothing to do with cost. If BA offered me a zero cost flight tomorrow I would say thank you, but no thanks.

Your thread title seems a bit over the top. If BA forced you to pay that fee, then fair enough, but they don't. It's your choice. You choose not to pay and you still got your preferred seat. If they had allowed anyone to select seats in advance for free, there is probably a good chance that other passengers who booked earlier than you did would have selected those seats. So you wouldn't have had the option even to pay for an extra legroom seat. So maybe you or someone else would then be complaining here that you couldn't get your preferred seat. Similarly, any status passengers would feel hard done by.

It's not like BA is making huge margins right now They're losing cash every day. They are just trying to survive this crisis. Yes, there have been good times for BA in the past when I would have agreed that some BA policies smacked of greed. But I don't see any behaviour right now that I would class as greedy.
Sealink likes this.

Last edited by gms; Dec 3, 2020 at 3:20 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.