Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie avios question

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2020, 1:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
... you can use them to buy wine - if you are UK based - if nothing else, and that will be someone's Christmas present out of the way. So I wouldn't let them expire if you can avoid it. A bottle of Sipsmith London Dry Gin is 7,300 Avios - not the best use but you probably know someone who would enjoy that.
You can buy wine and other assorted alcoholic beverages, however not being one to drink I am not at all qualified to say whether this is a good value use for them.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 2:00 pm

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by pana37
can anyone answer this for me please?
Bump
all you need is activity in your OH account, so either buy points, earn them through e store or flying or spend points. You need activity once every 36 months.

then if serious about Avios collecting, check other threads to maximise earnings.
wilsnunn and pana37 like this.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PGberkshire
all you need is activity in your OH account, so either buy points, earn them through e store or flying or spend points. You need activity once every 36 months.

then if serious about Avios collecting, check other threads to maximise earnings.
Ok Thanks for your reply, ok ill do that
Old Jan 2, 2021, 11:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH
My DiL got notice that her miles were going to expire. Her household acct shows her miles but not that they were going to expire.
The point of this post was to ask about buying through the eStore portal:
- when those points will post will it be retro to the date of purchase?
- or will the points be dated the date it posts?
She managed to buy something via the portal on Dec 31st, with her points expiry of Jan 3rd. Yes, she absolutely left it to the last minute despite my reminders, and counsel.

Another related query:
- what about youth avios in the household account?
- do they expire in the same fashion as the adult's avios, or is there a different rule for them?
(sidenote: does any activity in the household acct reset the 36 month expiration for everyone's avios?)

TIA
Old Jan 3, 2021, 9:53 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Originally Posted by Blue Skye
My DiL got notice that her miles were going to expire. Her household acct shows her miles but not that they were going to expire.
The point of this post was to ask about buying through the eStore portal:
- when those points will post will it be retro to the date of purchase?
- or will the points be dated the date it posts?
She managed to buy something via the portal on Dec 31st, with her points expiry of Jan 3rd. Yes, she absolutely left it to the last minute despite my reminders, and counsel.

Another related query:
- what about youth avios in the household account?
- do they expire in the same fashion as the adult's avios, or is there a different rule for them?
(sidenote: does any activity in the household acct reset the 36 month expiration for everyone's avios?)

TIA
Hi, Happy New Year to you.

Your DiL might get away with it. The Avios though the eStore usually post a few days after the date of the transaction (assuming it's a faster retailer, some retailers the Avios take up to 35 days to post) and show both date posted to BAEC and date of transaction eg I bought something from John Lewis on 24 Nov 2020 (date of transaction and date charged on Amex statement) but the Avios showed up on my BAEC account on 27 Nov 2020 as follows:

Transaction: Avios John Lewis & Partners UK 0 258
24-Nov-20
Posted:
27-Nov-20

I don't have the definitive answer to the household account query but a flight booked using Avios would be taken proportionately from all individual members which would count. Not sure someone earning Avios helps prevent other balances from expiring.

I hope it's a happy new year for your DiL

Last edited by AJA_; Jan 3, 2021 at 9:58 am Reason: to clarify re faster retailer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.