Wiki Posts
Search

BA to return to Dhaka

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2020, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
BA to return to Dhaka

I just came across this article which says BA have applied to operate the London to Dhaka route. It really emphasises how BA are trying to shift away from the transatlantic market and open up new VFR routes.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.t...-1999201%3famp

British Airways, one of the world's leading airlines, is going to resume operation from Dhaka after 11 years, sources at the Civil Aviation Ministry said.

"British Airways once operated flights from here. They have applied for resuming operation on Dhaka-London-Dhaka route and we will give them permission," Mohibul Haque, senior secretary of Civil Aviation Ministry, told The Daily Star today.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 8:17 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
I didn’t see that coming. Wise move and good strategy as I don’t expect business travel to come back at 2019 levels any time soon.
becks1 likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
That’s great news if true, I loved my trips there and the people are so kind and thoughtful.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 9:09 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Can I help you
That’s great news if true, I loved my trips there and the people are so kind and thoughtful.
How long were crew given in DAC? Did you get many opportunities to see the place?
Old Nov 22, 2020, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A huge cargo opportunity on that route. Roughly 20% of all clothing sold in the UK is made there, the port infrastructure is painfully bad so plenty of air freight demand.
anniegray and becks1 like this.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
How long were crew given in DAC? Did you get many opportunities to see the place?
We often had two or three days off and in Tristar days we would go to the children’s orphanage set up but Pat Kerr.
We stayed at the Sonatgaon Hotel which at the time was the best hotel we stayed anywhere on the network.
I particularly remember spending New Year at the British embassy and leaving doing the “ I call to the hills and what did I hear” method. 😂
Our crew based there also operated the Calcutta (as it was known) route, I have said this before but the Indian subcontinent trips were my favourites.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by BAeuro
I just came across this article which says BA have applied to operate the London to Dhaka route. It really emphasises how BA are trying to shift away from the transatlantic market and open up new VFR routes.
Wouldn't a significant part of the business case for this route also be the transatlantic<-LHR->subcontinent connecting market too though? From what I understand that is a big aspect of BA's Indian operation, alongside the obvious UK O&D market.
becks1 likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Wouldn't a significant part of the business case for this route also be the transatlantic<-LHR->subcontinent connecting market too though? From what I understand that is a big aspect of BA's Indian operation, alongside the obvious UK O&D market.
Exactly what I thought.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 10:02 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Our crew based there also operated the Calcutta (as it was known) route, I have said this before but the Indian subcontinent trips were my favourites.
Once this is all over, and given that Bangladesh does Visa on Arrival, I hope you get an opportunity to return to DAC as a passenger before too long. I also hope BA return to CCU in the near future, it would help with my own VFR in Darjeeling.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 10:04 am

Programs: BA Gold Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
I had a project in Dhaka a few years ago I did LHR-DOH-DAC about four times. Did notice quite a few Americans on the DOH-DAC sectors

Sadly, I think it's going to be another "Hotel only" route for the crew (much like ISB and LHE). Good for BA to be going beyond second-and-third-tier American cities.

Programs: BAEC: Bronze. Skywards: Silver
This brings back memories of when they used to fly the 747 to Dhaka.

I hope they use yeh original flight numbers, BA145 and BA144

does anyone know if they tend to reinstate the old flight numbers?
Old Nov 22, 2020, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by dood125
does anyone know if they tend to reinstate the old flight numbers?
Yes, they do tend to re-establish the flight numbers in this scenario, which always pleases me when then do this. So we should look out for BA145 / 144, if this is confirmed.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 10:33 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Remedial geography for me. I spent 5 minutes wondering where the Senegalese clothing industry had sprung up from.
Swanhunter and EDIwanderer like this.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 10:56 am

Programs: BAEC: Bronze. Skywards: Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, they do tend to re-establish the flight numbers in this scenario, which always pleases me when then do this. So we should look out for BA145 / 144, if this is confirmed.
may brilliant!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.