Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why are BA still flying the ancient LGW 777's?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2020, 11:18 am
Original Poster

So we took the plunge and have booked tickets to ANU for Christmas. I knew it was the case but I guess I am surprised they are still serving the LGW Caribbean routes with the old 777's. Given how many aircraft must be grounded right now, is there a reason not to put something a little better right now on the routes that have demand (£3.5k+ for these flights). I assume BA must have its reasons but part of me wonders if they just don't want to set a precedent of treating the leisure routes well!

Last edited by aristoph; Nov 20, 2020 at 5:21 pm
Old Nov 20, 2020, 11:21 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
The LGWs have all had a cabin and IFE refresh recently... be glad you aren't on some of the LHR 777s with really old IFE that are in desperate need of a refresh.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I really like the small 777s J cabin, great IFE and tend to find the Gatwick crew excellent and friendly.
PUCCI GALORE and Robert279 like this.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
BA won't easily give away their 10 abreast 777's because they're old.
Be prepared for the LHR fleet to be 10 abreast in Y as well.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 11:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
None of the LGW based aircraft are as old as some people here suggest. Most of the older 777s (the GE ones at least) in the fleet are in fact based at LHR. Plus as mentioned above, the LGW frames have been refitted with the new IFE.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 12:19 pm

What are these better planes that you speak of at Heathrow and what makes them a better plane in your eyes over the Gatwick based 777's?

As others have mentioned the LGW 777 3 class cabins have had a complete refresh in the past 12-18 months. Brand new IFE, USB charging, brand new seats in WT/WT+, mood lighting. What's not to like?

​Also you don't mention which class you're travelling. You also mention "we". Is the price you've quoted in your original post total for all passengers travelling or per person? It's difficult to work out your expectation is without the full background.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Nov 20, 2020 at 12:25 pm
Old Nov 20, 2020, 12:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The issue is whether BA owns or leases. Turning in leased aircraft cuts cash hemmorage.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
The issue is whether BA owns or leases. Turning in leased aircraft cuts cash hemmorage.
Well they're still leasing those dreadful ex TAM, Wizz and Onur Air A320's that were operating out of Gatwick pre Covid and are now operating some of them out of Heathrow while at the same time permanently removing some BA owned 320's from the fleet.

Leases can always be renegotiated onto more favourable terms I suppose.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 1:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
Originally Posted by Often1
Also, I believe 777 are better for cargo than a number of newer aircraft.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 1:33 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Sometimes use the four class B777 on the ANU which is very tired....
Old Nov 20, 2020, 1:48 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by Skipcool3
Sometimes use the four class B777 on the ANU which is very tired....
These are also refurbished 777s (77S config)
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
BA won't easily give away their 10 abreast 777's because they're old.
Be prepared for the LHR fleet to be 10 abreast in Y as well.
All Club Suite-equipped BA 777s are 3-4-3 in Economy.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
​Also you don't mention which class you're travelling. You also mention "we". Is the price you've quoted in your original post total for all passengers travelling or per person? It's difficult to work out your expectation is without the full background.
We would be in CW, and snaffled mileage tickets. The £3.5k is the per person charge for the same flights we are paying £500 plus 67.5k Avios for (plus Amex voucher).

My point was are all 787s/350s/New suite 777s gainfully employed elsewhere right now? It looks like the ANU route is red hot for Christmas so why not send a nice plane there with 300 customers instead of an empty flight to NY or wherever? (And I bet the freight capacity of the 777 is much more needed on other routes than ANU!)
Old Nov 20, 2020, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by aristoph
We would be in CW, and snaffled mileage tickets. The £3.5k is the per person charge for the same flights we are paying £500 plus 67.5k Avios for (plus Amex voucher).

My point was are all 787s/350s/New suite 777s gainfully employed elsewhere right now? It looks like the ANU route is red hot for Christmas so why not send a nice plane there with 300 customers instead of an empty flight to NY or wherever? (And I bet the freight capacity of the 777 is much more needed on other routes than ANU!)
One reason might be the Gatwick based crew aren't licenced to operate the 350/787. Makes zero sense to invest in that to keep 300 passengers happy (290 of which probably wouldn't even know any different).
Also BA maintenance at ANU won't necessarily be qualified to service other aircraft types or have spare parts available if needed. Onward shuttles to other islands which all ANU flight do carry an engineer on board for the short flight to the next island. It may be those airports aren't configured to service a 350 or a 787.
The 777 LGW 3 class cabin also has one of the highest density cabin arrangements (fewer CW seats, more WT and WT+ seats) and that may be a better fit for the destinations they are serving in order to make the route profitable.

If you'd picked Barbados from Heathrow however then you'd be getting Club Suite. I guess reward availability is long gone on that. I believe rotation is also important and what routes can work together to offer the new product effectively given the specific flight sectors involved. Your choices from Gatwick are always going to be somewhat limited.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Nov 20, 2020 at 4:04 pm
Old Nov 20, 2020, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
One reason might be the Gatwick based crew aren't licenced to operate the 350/787. Makes zero sense to invest in that to keep 300 passengers happy (290 of which probably wouldn't even know any different).
Also BA maintenance at ANU won't necessarily be qualified to service other aircraft types or have spare parts available if needed. Onward shuttles to other islands which all ANU flight do carry an engineer on board for the short flight to the next island. It may be those airports aren't configured to service a 350 or a 787.
The 777 LGW 3 class cabin also has one of the highest density cabin arrangements (fewer CW seats, more WT and WT+ seats) and that may be a better fit for the destinations they are serving in order to make the route profitable.

If you'd picked Barbados from Heathrow however then you'd be getting Club Suite. I guess reward availability is long gone on that. I believe rotation is also important and what routes can work together to offer the new product effectively given the specific flight sectors involved. Your choices from Gatwick are always going to be somewhat limited.
Interesting, thank you. Time to switch the leisure flights to LHR then! Especially as I suspect the rebound in leisure demand in 2021 is going to be much stronger than for business travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.