Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA won’t rebook into Qatar

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2020, 7:00 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
so glad I opted to book our award flight next week from ATL-MLE using both AA and Qatar, rather then the BA option offered...
all qatar keeps doing is dropping cities out of the USA that fly to DOH...
Old Nov 6, 2020, 7:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It nonetheless pays to have a Plan B to return. Neither AA nor QR are EU carriers nor do your flights depart from the EU. Thus, no EC 261/2004 duty of care should you become stuck because rapidly changing circumstances force a cancellation or limit your ability to transit DOH.

Repatriation was a mess in the first go around because it was a massive task for which carriers were not prepared. But, they were also not in dire cash circumstances. Now, they are better prepared and I am fairly certain that both BA and QR have contingency plans for all routes. But, cash is at a premium and I would not expect to have bar bills picked up any longer.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 9:54 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
Why do things like this never happen to me?
The best I've had is 2 nights in a snowbound Holiday Inn in Edinburgh during the snow of 2010.
That would be a fun thread to start, but what to call it? “What has BA given you that you didn’t pay for?” I might just do that.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 12:02 pm

Programs: Executive Club - Gold, HH - Gold, Marriott - Gold
Weird isn’t it? I called up and they rebooked me onto Qatar no problem and it was an Avios booking and I haven’t even left yet!

Last edited by Spinstorm; Nov 6, 2020 at 1:21 pm
Old Nov 6, 2020, 12:05 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by Spinstorm
Weird isn’t it? I called up and they rebooked me onto Qatar no problem and it was an Avios booking and I haven’t;t even left yet!
There may have been reward space available on QR
Anonba likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 12:19 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It is also possible that there is some flexibility available, but not everyone has got the memo.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 12:39 pm
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Sorry to hear of this. It doesn’t sound like a very accommodating way to deal with any customer, yet alone a GGL member.
Hope you get it sorted.
Perhaps call back and try a different agent?

As an aside, I frequently hear of people on this forum saying that GGL (or even standard Gold) is an asset to have for when things go wrong. Is that lip service?

I have only ever faced one rebooking crisis during snow disruption and then the fact that we all had Gold status meant absolutely nothing.

Overall, sounds like a farce.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 12:55 pm

(Adapting 4 Yorkshireman sketch) - Edinburgh? You were lucky - I got stuck in Wakefield for 2 days during the snows of 2010. Hotel bar ran out of booze...
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It is also possible that there is some flexibility available, but not everyone has got the memo.

Normally we can only use QR to rebook when its on certain routes where BA have codeshare agreements.

However there are additional policies now due to corona virus (like the one KARFA posted) which gives extra flexibility compared to normal. However as noted looks like it doesnt cover Avios bookings

Last edited by Anonba; Nov 14, 2020 at 2:28 am
Old Nov 6, 2020, 1:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Jed
Sorry to hear of this. It doesn’t sound like a very accommodating way to deal with any customer, yet alone a GGL member.
Hope you get it sorted.
Perhaps call back and try a different agent?

As an aside, I frequently hear of people on this forum saying that GGL (or even standard Gold) is an asset to have for when things go wrong. Is that lip service?

I have only ever faced one rebooking crisis during snow disruption and then the fact that we all had Gold status meant absolutely nothing.

Overall, sounds like a farce.
GGL service generally great and a lifesaver for disruptions. As you can see not all the agents are good however but if you call back you will get someone else who are going to be helpful.
when there was mass cancellations at Heathrow and the queue for ticketing were outside the building I still managed to call GGL and rebooked to a flight. So it does help.
It does sound like a farce I had issues like this when there was a strike and BA rebooked me onto Air France. I had to push it but they did at the end.
it is possible to get rebooked to almost any carrier even non one world one however agents tells you different stories time to time.
Good luck for the OP I’m sure BA will take them home either Qatar or Emirates. (Most likely Qatar)
Old Nov 6, 2020, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by Krisz
GGL service generally great and a lifesaver for disruptions. As you can see not all the agents are good however but if you call back you will get someone else who are going to be helpful.
when there was mass cancellations at Heathrow and the queue for ticketing were outside the building I still managed to call GGL and rebooked to a flight. So it does help.
It does sound like a farce I had issues like this when there was a strike and BA rebooked me onto Air France. I had to push it but they did at the end.
it is possible to get rebooked to almost any carrier even non one world one however agents tells you different stories time to time.
Good luck for the OP I’m sure BA will take them home either Qatar or Emirates. (Most likely Qatar)

I dont think this is down to the agent, if the policy says we cant use QR for redemptions they are simply following policy.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
So they have moved me in to a different Qatar flight without further prompting which is good I suppose. However it’s now almost 2.5x the travel time and a downgraded class and now with a test/quarantine requirement.

obviously getting home is the priority for the airlines but I am curious what our rights are here?

trying to decide if we want to fight for an extra couple of weeks here to fly back as intended when they open up again or just get the first reasonable flight home?
Old Nov 6, 2020, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by annihilation
So they have moved me in to a different Qatar flight without further prompting which is good I suppose. However it’s now almost 2.5x the travel time and a downgraded class and now with a test/quarantine requirement.

obviously getting home is the priority for the airlines but I am curious what our rights are here?

trying to decide if we want to fight for an extra couple of weeks here to fly back as intended when they open up again or just get the first reasonable flight home?
Were you originally travelling in World Traveler Plus or First? Otherwise why should BA downgrade you during rebooking?
If your final destination is LHR and you are flying MLE-DOH-LHR, you would not need a COVID test but need to self-isolate upon arrival.

By the way, after arriving at DOH, visit the Flight Connections desks before security, the agents over there might do a goodwill gesture and might be able to rebook you on an earlier LHR flight if there is availability.

Also, if you are involuntarily downgraded, you are eligible for a downgrade compensation through EC261/2004. I know that delay/cancellation compensations are not given because of COVID but I am not 100% sure wheater overbooking and downgrade situations are still eligible for compensation.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 10:51 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by KARFA
Ok thanks. Firstly BA do have an obligation to reroute you and get you home. They can't simply leave you there and provide no plan for your return flight - or at least of they do they are responsible for duty of care beyond when the flight should have happened and I imagine the cost of a hotel after a few days will soon eclipse any cost of rebooking you on another carrier. Are they expecting you to stay there until whenever the route resumes in December or 2021?

There is a policy to rebook on QR, but it does not cover rewards, and I think this may be why they said no. However, I think that's unreasonable if the result is they are not providing you with any options at all. Perhaps the approach is to point out my comments in the first paragraph?

KARFA Do you happen to have any rerouting guidance for VS? We are stuck in Barbados (could be worse I suppose?) but need to get back. BA full but VS selling seats even in J (which we originally booked). Agent in Indian call centre says no can do.

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 7, 2020, 1:08 am

Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by Foofighter69
KARFA Do you happen to have any rerouting guidance for VS? We are stuck in Barbados (could be worse I suppose?) but need to get back. BA full but VS selling seats even in J (which we originally booked). Agent in Indian call centre says no can do.

Thanks in advance!
BA will almost certainly not rebook voluntarily on VS but it does have a duty to get you home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.