Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking Sydney 241

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2020, 3:01 am
Original Poster

Booking Sydney 241

I am planning a trip to Australia next year and have enough Avios for LHR to SYD one way using my 241 in Business Class so would like to travel in style. I have read how difficult these tickets are to get and am planning to call at midnight 355 days before the flight which is on .22nd October 2021.
Can anyone confirm which office would be easier to get through to and the exact time and date I should call?
Many thanks
Old Oct 26, 2020, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Excellent main thread for all things 2-4-1; your questions will be answered in the FAQs and you can get further details here :

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion
Old Oct 26, 2020, 3:26 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Rich1962
I am planning a trip to Australia next year and have enough Avios for LHR to SYD one way using my 241 in Business Class so would like to travel in style. I have read how difficult these tickets are to get and am planning to call at midnight 355 days before the flight which is on .22nd October 2021.
Can anyone confirm which office would be easier to get through to and the exact time and date I should call?
Many thanks
I think you’ll be OK booking the outbound flight online once they get released. Calling the office (think Japan is usually recommended) is for changing your booking to add the return flight once they come open. I’m sure the other thread mentioned above will have the finer details.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 7:36 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by Rich1962
Many thanks
Whatever you do, make sure all your associated (car, hotel) bookings around this are flexible and/or fully refundable, as:
1. Until the world is covid19 vacicnated its quite possible Australia will stay behind closed borders .
2. Don't count on BA ever returning to Sydney - It was n't exactly a money spinner and ties up a lot of 777 metal - that with the 747s gone (long overdue) scrap will be needed elsewhere on historically more profitable routes.
So book with the knowledge that BA might cancel whatever you book. (And be ready for some eye watering 'fuel' surcharges - that might just make a Qatar business return fare from say Norway, better value)
Old Oct 26, 2020, 2:48 pm

Presumably if you book a flight and BA cancel the route, they will be required to book you onto an alternative flight (Qatar?) in the same class? Perhaps someone can advise.
I would say however when Australia reopens, BA will likely resume flying there. If it wasn't profitable they wouldn't have been operating it for all these years (including devoting a 'rare' 77W to it in many recent years)
Old Oct 26, 2020, 3:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by GBOAC
Presumably if you book a flight and BA cancel the route, they will be required to book you onto an alternative flight (Qatar?) in the same class? Perhaps someone can advise.
I would say however when Australia reopens, BA will likely resume flying there. If it wasn't profitable they wouldn't have been operating it for all these years (including devoting a 'rare' 77W to it in many recent years)
strictly speaking under EU261 if they cancel more than 14 days ahead you can just have a refund... no need to reaccomodate you. If EU261 even applies then.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 3:17 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DFB_london
strictly speaking under EU261 if they cancel more than 14 days ahead you can just have a refund... no need to reaccomodate you. If EU261 even applies then.
if your flights are cancelled at any point, regardless of amount of notice given, you are entitled to reimbursement, return to origin, or reroute at the earliest opportunity or at a later date at the passenger's convenience. whether BA offers a reroute of course is a separate question!

the 14 day notice period is only relevant with regard to compensation.

Last edited by KARFA; Oct 26, 2020 at 3:29 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.