Wiki Posts
Search

BA RFS

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2020, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: QRPC Plat; Marriott Plat; Hilton Gold
BA RFS

Hi All, trying to book a ticket to Istanbul but for some reason I see the cash requirement to be around 67 something instead of the usual 35 for a RFS on avios? Any idea what is going on. I then checked Paris and again the cash amount is a silly number with the appropriate avios of 9k required
Old Oct 9, 2020, 7:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
In another thread there has been talk about the Avios booking system being a bit odd, no doubt due to the exceptional long haul promotion at the moment.

The other issue could be that you are no longer eligible for RFS pricing if you haven't earnt any Avios in the past 12 months.
Old Dec 24, 2020, 4:56 am

Programs: QR Gold, *A Gold, IHG Plat., Hilton Gold, Etihad Guest Gold
Hello fellow FTER’s
I am exploring JNB-MRU at the moment 8 May - 15 May 2021.
I see the RFS symbol, earn avios on via my BA Card but am not able to tap into RFS pricing. Any tips on how I could potentially proceed.
Old Dec 24, 2020, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by zimstyles
I see the RFS symbol, earn avios on via my BA Card but am not able to tap into RFS pricing. Any tips on how I could potentially proceed.
Can you get RFS pricing on any other routes? What cash element are you being being quoted for JNB-MRU?
Old Dec 24, 2020, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Can you get RFS pricing on any other routes? What cash element are you being being quoted for JNB-MRU?
If I do the following i see RFS pricing

1. One way JNB-MRU economy - R204.44 (2 pax) [1 May 2021]
2. Return Ticket CDG-LHR - RFS Pricing shows up

Any other variation e.g. the below does not show RFS
3. One way JNB-MRU business / club - R1800 (2 pax) [1 May 2021]
4. Return JNB-MRU business ‘ club - R3600 (2 pax) [1 May - 8 May 2021]

I know that its not the avios activity...just not sure what it is.
Old Dec 24, 2020, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any other variation e.g. the below does not show RFS
3. One way JNB-MRU business / club - R1800 (2 pax) [1 May 2021]
4. Return JNB-MRU business ‘ club - R3600 (2 pax) [1 May - 8 May 2021]
This looks correct: ZAR 900 per person per sector.

(Taken from Your guide to spending Avios | 2020 edition.)
Old Dec 24, 2020, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
This looks correct: ZAR 900 per person per sector.

(Taken from Your guide to spending Avios | 2020 edition.)
Hmm - so are we saying there is a pricing error on the 1 way JNB-MRU @±R200. Because according to this table it should be R500....
Old Dec 24, 2020, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmm - so are we saying there is a pricing error on the 1 way JNB-MRU @±R200. Because according to this table it should be R500....
No, because traditionally RFS pricing has been the specified flat rate, or actual TFC if they are lower. And it looks like your ZAR 204.44 (ZAR 102.22 per person) falls into this category: it's lower than the ZAR 500 flat rate, so you pay the lower amount.

This seldom occurs now on BA mainline RFS, because the availability of the different price points has led to £0.50 becoming the RFS flat rate, so that there are no routes on which actual TFC are lower than the RFS flat rate. This is one (but only one) of the stealth price rises that were introduced when the different price points were brought in. (Another seems to be the effect on short-haul UuA, which I have yet to do any proper analytical work on.) Little attention seems to have been paid on FT to this, because everyone's attention was distracted by what was trumpeted as a great boon to customers.

Even so, Comair RFS flat rates have been significantly higher than mainline RFS rates for some time. It means that in many cases, an award ticket is rather poorer value if measured purely in price terms. In recent years, buying an O class ticket for cash has often been much better value than redeeming an award, if you ignore the flexibility in an award ticket.
jerry a. laska likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.