Wiki Posts
Search

BA Shopping - Avios Expiry

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2020, 5:59 am
Original Poster

BA Shopping - Avios Expiry

Hi,

Both my kids are members of the Executive Club, but it is about two years since they have collected any points.
Lately I have got them to order a couple of items through shoppingba.com, just to earn a token amount of Avios.

According to the Executive Club rules, "Your Avios stay with you as long as you collect, spend, purchase or share at least one Avios every 36 months."

Am I correct in thinking, that the purchases and subsequent Avios earned from shoppingba.com, will be enough to extend the validity of their existing Avios by another 36 months.
Based on the quote from the rules, that should be the case, but it sounds too easy!

Regards,
Varig_dc10.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
From the main excellent Collecting Avios wiki :

Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2020 edition

Your Avios stay with you as long as your account remains active so make sure to collect, spend, purchase or share some Avios at least once every 36 months. This can be done either by flying, staying at a partner hotel, or even by buying a low value item from an online merchant linked to Avios
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31904766-post3.html
Varig_dc10 likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Great, thanks for the quick reply!
Old Sep 14, 2020, 6:07 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Here's another useful thread for additional tips:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...os-points.html
Varig_dc10 likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Thanks!
Old Sep 14, 2020, 6:17 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Just a thought - if you add both children to your Household Account, their Avios balances will be exempt from expiry providing you or another contributor collects Avios on a regular basis
golfmad likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Prospero
Just a thought - if you add both children to your Household Account, their Avios balances will be exempt from expiry providing you or another contributor collects Avios on a regular basis
I'm calling them kids, but they are actually 16 and 18. So it probably won't apply.

Thanks,
Varig_dc10.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by Varig_dc10
I'm calling them kids, but they are actually 16 and 18. So it probably won't apply.

Thanks,
Varig_dc10.
Why not?

If they are members of your Household Account, any redemption by any member will keep all of the accounts active.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
Why not?

If they are members of your Household Account, any redemption by any member will keep all of the accounts active.
Sorry, I misunderstood what Prospero was saying. I thought he meant children are exempt,if me or another contributor collects Avios on a regular basis.
If everyone is exempt, then the points I earn regularly through Amex will keep everybody else's points valid.

Thanks,
Varig_dc10.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Prospero
I defer to you on this, but are you certain that earning Avios by Member A in a Household Account will keep the Avios alive for Member B? This won’t generate activity in Member B’s account. A redemption, however, will generate activity in all the accounts.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 9:54 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Our earn and burn is primarily in the Skyteam realm so I keep my husband’s old BA account alive by literally using the shopping portal to buy songs on iTunes (US partner) a couple times a year
Old Aug 18, 2021, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
still waiting for Avios to post.

My DW bought a small item from the BA shopping portal on July 5 this year and the AVIOS have still not posted to her account. Points are supposed to post w/in 40 I thought. We're on day 43, or so, now. DoweI keep waiting or send them an email or what?
Old Aug 19, 2021, 6:20 am

Programs: BA, AA, UA, VS, DL, EI, Hilton, Marriot
My daughter (my HHA) spends £1+ at Screwfix every now and again and Avios post in a couple of days.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 7:57 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Another option is to book a very short Avios reward flight adjusting the pricing to the max Avios and min cash option (could be next to nothing). If cancelled a couple of days later the Avios go back into the a/c and only the cash actually paid is lost (ignore refs to the £35 cancellation fee, as there is no cancelation fee payable over and above the cash actually paid). This resets the 36 months. Alternatively, an FTV could be taken and the cash value would also be preserved.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
Another option is to book a very short Avios reward flight adjusting the pricing to the max Avios and min cash option (could be next to nothing). If cancelled a couple of days later the Avios go back into the a/c and only the cash actually paid is lost (ignore refs to the £35 cancellation fee, as there is no cancelation fee payable over and above the cash actually paid). This resets the 36 months. Alternatively, an FTV could be taken and the cash value would also be preserved.
Can you cancel online or do you have to call in? I'm US based.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.