Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold during COVID is better than before ?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2020, 2:32 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by Howard Long
Coincidentally, I was chatting with Diego Masciaga* last week who I discovered has been doing some consultancy on the lounges for BA/Baxter Storey during the COVID thing.

He was saying it's difficult to achieve true restaurant level service because people are coming and going all the time on a whim, and there's not much you can do to change that behaviour, not that he was suggesting that you should.
I guess its also difficult to achieve a restaurant service in locations which arent really restaurants too. I guess with the exception of the two Concorde locations, I see them as just lounges which offer drinks, snacks and a more comfortable place to wait.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 3:13 am

Programs: BA Gold (Emerald); Hilton Gold; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Radisson Gold
We've just returned from our only flights since 1 March, LHR-BJV (Bodrum, Turkey) and back. Row 1 of 12 Club Europe rows in both directions, and totally contrasting experiences. Outbound was superb, iPad Gold greetings to us both by name and then the crew were busy the whole time, offering more drinks, asking toilet-queuers to return to their seats taking a note of their seat number for them to be invited back when it was vacant.

On the way home, the crew seemed uninterested and completely disengaged. I had to prompt for the at-seat power and wifi to be activated quite a while after seatbelt signs went off. The handing out of the meal boxes took a while to start and the first sign of a beverage service came about 15 minutes after that - it appeared they waited until a crew member from economy was free to help, so that the SCCM could remain in the galley and just do hot drinks from there. We were never offered a second beverage.

They told people to wait on the other side of the curtain when the toilet was occupied - right by row 1 passengers - rather than to return to their seats to wait for the green 'vacant' lights.
It seemed they thought the curtain offered soundproofing, and that those of us in the first couple of rows would be unable to hear their incessant chatting.

When the first officer announced "15 minutes to landing" that was their prompt to finally come around and clear away the drinks cups, bottles and litter.

Also, the contract lounge at BJV was open but not to BA Club or status passengers; several were turned away. Thankfully, Priority Pass was accepted. It's not a luxurious lounge, but good enough for about 60 passengers heading to Rostov-on-Don with Azur Air on a B752, and a handful of PP-endowed BA passengers.
ajamieson and Grace B like this.

Last edited by paulieuk; Sep 14, 2020 at 3:28 am
Old Sep 14, 2020, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I hope on a flight of that length you regularly requested additional drinks despite no proactive offering
Old Sep 14, 2020, 6:16 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by paulieuk
They told people to wait on the other side of the curtain when the toilet was occupied - right by row 1 passengers - rather than to return to their seats to wait for the green 'vacant' lights.
It seemed they thought the curtain offered soundproofing, and that those of us in the first couple of rows would be unable to hear their incessant chatting.
Sat in 1C recently going to AGP I was hit by the curtain so many time (including in the face) that I asked the crew to either keep it shut or keep it open. Until then they behaved like teenagers slamming their "door" and gossiping out of sight about the recent VR offers.

The curtain is too long and should have another 50 cm off the bottom and then it would still offer their privacy but keep it off the legs of paxs in 1C and 1D. I am sure someone could work out the total fuel save for whats probably 1kg of fabric per plane across the whole fleet.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: EY Gold, BA Gold, EK Gold, CX Gold
Had the return flight back which was even better. The CSM kept saying my champagne bottle was leaking so he brought me another. He then said I deserved a second box of food (which I declined ).
I spoke with him in the galley on the way back to my seat and he told me because Split did the check-in he didn't know who was who. I thought he used my name because I was Good but he apparently just did it with everyone.
It was a great flight again and I honestly couldn't fault the crew. He got a Golden Ticket anyway as I came off the flight feeling so happy .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.