Wiki Posts
Search

High Life

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2020, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
High Life

Just had an email from BAEC to say that the new home of High Life magazine is online (presumably in place of The Club).

Does this mark the end of the physical copy?
Old Sep 4, 2020, 8:01 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I think March was the last copy to be put in the aircraft, the April copy was delivered but not distributed (I've not seen the printed version) and May onwards wasn't even delivered. The seat back pockets now only have the minimum contents (safety card, waste bag, wifi instructions).
LCSinTexas and SxMan like this.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 8:11 am

Programs: BA, EI, IB, Hilton Honors
Cost cutting / "virus risk".
Old Sep 4, 2020, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Waste paper?

CBA to open the email yet, but I guess I should ... oooh, Visit Jersey!! A must read for those on the Mainland!!
Old Sep 4, 2020, 8:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I can't really see many people bothering to read High Life online. Like most in-flight magazines, it was mostly content-free fluff that one only flipped through when there was absolutely nothing else to read.
Lefly, LHR FLYER, SxMan and 8 others like this.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 9:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Do the younger generation read anything printed on paper nowadays?
Old Sep 4, 2020, 9:09 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Yes, we do.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 9:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I think I qualify for the younger generation and I read both High Life and Business Traveller cover to cover each month onboard short haul flights.

We spend far too much time looking at screens and it was nice to read something physical in flight and get a bit of inspiration for new trips and hotel stays.

I thought they’d be binned despite Covid to save print, fuel and to really round off BAs love for the negative experience option (neo). The digital version is a compromise, but on the last 3 sectors I’ve flown in the past 10 days, the wifi has been broken on each flight so I couldn’t even browse ba.com, so not much hope of being able to read it onboard.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 9:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PETER01
Yes, we do.
Me too.
mrow and PETER01 like this.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 9:24 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite & Lifetime Gold, Heathrow Rewards Premium, Tesco Clubcard
It'll be interesting to see how it pans out for advertisers if it does indeed remain fully digital.

E.g. if I had a printed copy in the seat pocket in front of me, I would be tempted to just quickly flick through it. If it was digital only, I may not even remember it exists, or if I get the emails from BA saying a new issue has been released, can I really be bothered to download it? What about all those customers that are not even subscribed to the reminder emails?

That could be a potential loss of revenue to advertisers, and in the long run, to BA (if the advertisers pull out).
Old Sep 4, 2020, 9:53 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

From the email I received, it’s not clear if the printed version will come back...

High Life has a new home, and it’s just a click away. The trusted travel voices from our in-flight magazine have moved online to talk all things travel, tips and timelines to help you plan your next getaway safely and with confidence.
I suspect it won’t
HIDDY likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 10:00 am

Programs: BAEC, M&M
In keeping with the past and current trend of penny pinching I suspect it will soon be renamed Low Life
SxMan, mnhusker, Paren and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 10:23 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by macdrew
In keeping with the past and current trend of penny pinching I suspect it will soon be renamed Low Life
can you tell me more about Low Life Entertainment? 😃
acucobol, HIDDY and mrow like this.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 10:34 am

Programs: BAEC, M&M
Originally Posted by Prospero
Who knows just what goes on behind the cattle class curtain !
T8191, AJA_, acucobol and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 10:52 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by Prospero
It's called reality TV
T8191, Trident 3B and mnhusker like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.