Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why fly BA at the moment in Club, when Swiss offer all of this?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why fly BA at the moment in Club, when Swiss offer all of this?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2020, 3:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Virgin Flying Club Silver
Originally Posted by camdentown
IMHO. It's not too late. Of course they can be undone - DO&Co can re-employ their staff (after all they only let them go because of BA's stinginess)
BA needs to seriously think about the future more than 1 month ahead of today, they either have to give up and become the long haul Ryanair, which I'm confident that they can't do competitively , or they need to try to re-establish their reputation and product as a premium airline , which is really going to be tough for them now.
Agreed and that’s my hope as well but with DO&Co downsizing dramatically from this week it’s unlikely to be a quick turnaround if any.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by camdentown
IMHO. It's not too late. Of course they can be undone - DO&Co can re-employ their staff (after all they only let them go because of BA's stinginess)
BA's not the only customer for Do&Co at Heathrow and I don't think all flights, pre-covid, were Do&Co catered already.

Also, let us not forget that BA is currently flying a third of its normal programme. A scale-back of all operations connected to the flying programme would've happened at Do&Co (and Asig for fuelling for instance) regardless of what would've happened. So 'stinginess' is a bit unfair.

Anyway, back on topic: Lucky over at OMAAT has reviewed Swiss on long haul: https://onemileatatime.com/swiss-a34...-class-review/
Old Sep 9, 2020, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Obviously a limited form of competition, but Eurostar has returned to regular catering since yesterday. Compared to pre-covid, the changes are fairly specific: covers of individual dishes remain on instead of being removed by staff, bread and pastries are wrapped in plastic, and menus are moved to online instead of paper. Wipes and sanitizing gel are handed to passengers.
All of which is very sensible and at almost zero additional cost. And I think this is why customers are getting increasingly frustrated at BA's offering.

I'm sure they are working on it and expect improvements before the end of September.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 2:48 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
I really don't understand the point of posting a review of LX flights in the BAEC forum. Is the purpose to 'educate' BA passengers and to 'save' them from flying with BA? I just don't get why turn something positive (a good experience on LX) into something negative (the 'if-LX-can-do-it-why-can't-BA' question asked for the 100th time). No one can answer that question here (disregarding the knee jerk childish answers). BA certainly won't explain its decisions here.
Why not post a nice review over the LH group forum? Can't BA passengers venture out to other airlines' fora to check out the competition? It is not that difficult, is it? And it's quite interesting out there as well. I honestly don't understand what reviews of other airlines are doing here. Everything about other airlines out there is just a click away in other fora...
Old Sep 9, 2020, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Andriyko
I really don't understand the point of posting a review of LX flights in the BAEC forum. Is the purpose to 'educate' BA passengers and to 'save' them from flying with BA? I just don't get why turn something positive (a good experience on LX) into something negative (the 'if-LX-can-do-it-why-can't-BA' question asked for the 100th time). No one can answer that question here (disregarding the knee jerk childish answers). BA certainly won't explain its decisions here.
Why not post a nice review over the LH group forum? Can't BA passengers venture out to other airlines' fora to check out the competition? It is not that difficult, is it? And it's quite interesting out there as well. I honestly don't understand what reviews of other airlines are doing here. Everything about other airlines out there is just a click away in other fora...
I totally disagree - having had a thoroughly miserable coronation chicken sandwich "menu" on my flight from Portugal last week, I knew to expect this thanks to this forum. It is interesting to see what alternative airlines are offering in these times, and I wouldn't go trawling through other forums to find this out when this forum is so lively on the discussion of F&B. Granted perhaps it's own thread was not required and could have been discussed in the Covid Catering thread, however we do not need censorship thanks very much
Old Sep 9, 2020, 3:07 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
I totally disagree
I don't understand what you're disagreeing with? Of course people posting about their experiences on BA flights will help others as they will know what to expect. This is the BAEC forum, and of course BA experiences belong here. I mean, you did not have to go over to the LX forum to find out that BA serves sandwiches on its flight, right?

And I disagree with the idea that it is so difficult to go through other fora to find out what other airlines are offering. It's like one does not want to bother. What's the purpose of other fora then? Let's post everything here... (which people already do).

Last edited by Andriyko; Sep 9, 2020 at 3:18 am
Old Sep 9, 2020, 3:17 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by jackcarr
I'd love to know more about point c. I've got J tickets with Swiss to BKK in November, booked in the very good sale at the start of the year. Currently expecting it to be cancelled and am looking for data points on people's experiences.
I booked a flight with LX. They cancelled the flight. I requested a refund, they refused. I disputed the charge with Amex, they refused arguing I had no right to enter the destination country and it was my fault I could not travel, and not their fault for cancelling the flight - offering refund according to fare rules. I sued them in the small claims court at which point they rolled over and refunded within a few days.

Lesson learnt: They are an evil company and all future refund requests will take the form of a "letter before action".
James91 likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 3:26 am

This looks so much better than what BA are offering, and just shows out can be done in the current climate but BA choice not too.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 3:26 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
To be fair, in posing the question regarding the superior catering available elsewhere, we have now found a reason to fly BA and their presently inferior offering: if your flight is cancelled, you can get a refund without having to sue them.

For all its faults and indeed removing the online option, BA has been pretty good at refunding passengers compared with other airlines.
​​​​​​
​​​​​
Dan72, LCY8737, Andriyko and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 4:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by LCY8737
I booked a flight with LX. They cancelled the flight. I requested a refund, they refused. I disputed the charge with Amex, they refused arguing I had no right to enter the destination country and it was my fault I could not travel, and not their fault for cancelling the flight - offering refund according to fare rules. I sued them in the small claims court at which point they rolled over and refunded within a few days.

Lesson learnt: They are an evil company and all future refund requests will take the form of a "letter before action".
Interesting, when was that?

I booked a return on my flights mentioned in the original post. They cancelled it while I was in Nice. The e-mail said to click to accept new flights otherwise the whole booking would be cancelled, so I did. This meant I was on Lufthansa flights for the return. I called and said I didn't want to fly Lufthansa, they tried the "but you accepted the new flights" line. I advised them of how bad the e-mail was and then they checked with a supervisor and said I'd be refunded. An e-mail came a few days later confirming the refund (more than double the amount quoted on the phone) and it was back on my card the next day. Less than a week total.

Originally Posted by Bohinjska Bistrica
To be fair, in posing the question regarding the superior catering available elsewhere, we have now found a reason to fly BA and their presently inferior offering: if your flight is cancelled, you can get a refund without having to sue them.

For all its faults and indeed removing the online option, BA has been pretty good at refunding passengers compared with other airlines.
​​​​
​​
So true, BA have had the cash back to me on multiple bookings they've cancelled within a week and that is very much appreciated. To the point that I don't hesitate attempting more bookings.

​​​​​​​
Old Sep 9, 2020, 4:45 am

This is true great at refunding, however you would expect them to do so given there strong performances over the last few years. They have money in the bank and assets. Catering could be fixed very easily with some small fixes, hot food not cold and offering better catering in the lounges. To be honest serving a white roll with bacon on it (to which pret do better) could be fixed easily (better roll option, cooked Bacon and hash browns ,simple menu onboard and in the lounge)and I have message BA regarding this.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 5:12 am

Thanks but no thanks
James91 likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 6:13 am

Programs: Executive Club
Originally Posted by Prospero
Quick answer to the question although I read it as rhetorical

At the moment BA is doing everything within its reach to constrain its cash burn so if you are travelling on BA, a Dunkirk spirit is called upon.

Swiss received a CHF 1.5 billion emergency loan from the Swiss Government so understandably feels less inclined to constrain its costs to the same degree BA is doing
If BA were a bit more honest and just said this, at least to frequent fliers, maybe we would accept it. But to lie and say that the cold food is because of safety reasons is just insulting.
adrianlondon and ExpatExp like this.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 6:21 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by 13901

Anyway, back on topic: Lucky over at OMAAT has reviewed Swiss on long haul: https://onemileatatime.com/swiss-a34...-class-review/
Impressive!

Normally I am not a fan of LX long-haul C, but wow, just wow - this looks great!
ermis177 likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 6:23 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by FlightDetective
Interesting, when was that?

I booked a return on my flights mentioned in the original post. They cancelled it while I was in Nice. The e-mail said to click to accept new flights otherwise the whole booking would be cancelled, so I did. This meant I was on Lufthansa flights for the return. I called and said I didn't want to fly Lufthansa, they tried the "but you accepted the new flights" line. I advised them of how bad the e-mail was and then they checked with a supervisor and said I'd be refunded. An e-mail came a few days later confirming the refund (more than double the amount quoted on the phone) and it was back on my card the next day. Less than a week total.​​​​​​
Cancellation was in March, received the refund in August. I would have understood the delay (it was/is special times), but to have the audacity to first cancel the flight and then claim it was my fault because I had no right to enter the destination country (which they couldn't know and also was wrong) rubbed me the wrong way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.