FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   A350 and Macbooks! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2024146-a350-macbooks.html)

pythonisman Sep 4, 2020 4:51 am

Originally Posted by GentleGiant (Post 32651448)

The shipping did take an age. I didn't bother trying to contact them though, they were based in Asia and production started right as China shut down earlier this year.
I too had pretty much forgotten about the product shipping- ordered in January I think, and it didn't arrive until maybe May after shipment was revised time and time again.
I agree the service at the time was pretty woeful but do really rate the product... As a class of product though it's phenomenal.

UKAvm Jan 30, 2024 5:33 am

What USB ports are available in the Club Suite, is it USB-A or USB-C? If that latter I presume a USB-A to USB-C converter would still allow for Macbook Air charging?

Lucanesque Jan 30, 2024 5:43 am

Originally Posted by UKAvm (Post 35954321)
What USB ports are available in the Club Suite, is it USB-A or USB-C? If that latter I presume a USB-A to USB-C converter would still allow for Macbook Air charging?

You get two USB-A in the larger of the storage bins, I used a USB-A to C converter recently but didn’t try charging my MacBook, I’d assume there would be limited juice / slow charging?

flatlander Jan 30, 2024 6:38 am

Don't expect power to charge a Macbook from the in-seat USB sockets. I don't think they negotiate USB-PD and Macs will not charge from a USB supply that doesn't. Amusingly they will charge, slowly, from a quite low-power USB-PD supply (18W, say) but it must negotiate PD. The seat USB power is only meant for small devices - phones, tablets, headphones, e-readers, etc.

To power your Mac in the air, use a USB-C power supply plugged into the mains (110V) power socket. I recommend Anker, e.g. , but many are available.

As noted up-thread, you want one that does not have a large flat section next to the power pins, instead you want one with a contact footprint not larger than a standard 13A UK socket.

If the power to the socket cuts off immediately after you plug in, then remove it, plug the power supply in without Mac connected, and only connect the Mac afterwards. The overload detection on the socket is sensitive and may cut off at the startup surge of power supply connected to laptop.

sixcolours Jan 30, 2024 8:24 am

Originally Posted by UKAvm (Post 35954321)

USB A to C will categorically NOT charge any MacBook.

strowger Jan 30, 2024 10:15 am

My M1 and M2 Macbook Airs *will* draw power from a non-PD standard 5V USB power supply, including a USB A-to-C cable.

It's not enough power to charge while using the device, but it displays notification on the battery icon that it is receiving power, and the battery goes down in use *much* more slowly with it connected than not.

For travel I recommend the 2-port 35W USB-C adaptor part number A2676 AKA https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/produc...-power-adapter

This is the one you get when you order an M2 Macbook Air and select the "+£30" option for dual-port 35W adaptor rather than single-port 30W.

Unless you hammer the hell out of your Macbook this is ample power. Using both its ports, and the Macbook as charger for other devices, it will easily charge ipad, macbook, iphone, and watch from empty to full during a night's sleep, from 90-250vac input.

Put aside the ridiculous UK bs363 plug it comes with and get a US plug from ebay for a couple of quid ( eg https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302018173150 ) equipped with which the Apple adaptor becomes a small neat square with fold-out pins. Get schuko as well if you frequent schuko countries - however the beauty of the US plug is how compact it makes the charger, and pairing it with the following:

Add (NB: get the "road warrior" branded one, not the chinese knock-off) which is the lightest and most compact anything-to-anything international adaptor I'm aware of - and will even let you charge from the 1950s bs546 adaptor on the wall at the back (window) corner of the VS lounge at LHR. It is much more electrically safe than it looks and also very useful for "constricted socket" situations like recessed outlets.

Lucanesque Jan 30, 2024 11:14 am

Originally Posted by sixcolours (Post 35954767)
USB A to C will categorically NOT charge any MacBook.

i charge my MacBook Pro from a USB-A to C cable, admittedly when using it then it won't charge much but leave it plugged in and it will fully charge.

sixcolours Jan 30, 2024 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Lucanesque (Post 35955218)
i charge my MacBook Pro from a USB-A to C cable, admittedly when using it then it won't charge much but leave it plugged in and it will fully charge.

I stand humbly corrected then 🙇‍♂️
The last time I tried it was an utter failure, even after leaving overnight!

Lucanesque Jan 31, 2024 6:44 am

Originally Posted by sixcolours (Post 35955360)
I stand humbly corrected then 🙇‍♂️
The last time I tried it was an utter failure, even after leaving overnight!

I suspect it might be a case of the general rule is "you can't do it" but it will actually depend on specific configuration of the MBP. TBH, I was amazed that mine actually charged as I was expecting it to just maintain current battery level rather than be able to increase it!

strowger Feb 3, 2024 2:22 am

Originally Posted by Lucanesque (Post 35957472)
I suspect it might be a case of the general rule is "you can't do it" but it will actually depend on specific configuration of the MBP. TBH, I was amazed that mine actually charged as I was expecting it to just maintain current battery level rather than be able to increase it!

A thing I forgot and should have mentioned is that the post-2020 Apple Silicon (M1/M2/M3) devices are a completely different proposition to the older Intel-based ones. Apple silicon is very power-efficient.

In theory at least the less-prehistoric Intel Macbooks will charge (very slowly) from a normal USB 5v "phone charger".

In practice - given that most USB supplies and their cables are garbage - it wouldn't surprise me if the "5V" supply sags enough that it's lower than the battery voltage with a power-hungry Intel macbook turned on, and then it's probably going to show "not charging" and do nothing.