FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   A350 and Macbooks! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2024146-a350-macbooks.html)

DominicB Aug 28, 2020 7:51 pm

A350 and Macbooks!

In amongst the general rejoicing about how good Club Suites are compared to what they replaced, I came across a snag today! Having taken a mid afternoon flight out of LHR I'd been working without my laptop being plugged in, but was not unduly concerned because I knew there were charging facilities on the plane. However, the compartment in which all the sockets are located in the Club Suites is not remotely deep enough to accommodate the typical Apple charger. That is a real pain!

Dan72 Aug 28, 2020 9:08 pm

While I know many of us use Apple products, I wonder if that's more of an Apple problem. I say that, as I have found in many places that Apple chargers won't fit. Off the top of my head, I recall having to move at the Swiss Sen lounge in ZRH and have had to move a lot of hotel desks etc. There's also often a problem with any charging point that is in a recess.

I have found this forum to be great at finding tech solutions (much more so than finding realistic travel expectations : )), so perhaps someone will be along with a fix.

McG Aug 28, 2020 10:03 pm

Is it a newer MacBook with a USB C charger?

I use a Mu One 45W USB C PD Charger to power my MacBook rather than the Apple charger. I picked it up at Dixon's travel at GLA airport a couple of years back. It has interchangeable UK, US and EU power plugs so you don't need an adaptor.

The travel tech section of the forum here will have the latest on small compact USB C PD chargers for travel.

​​​​​Another advantage of a compact charger is how little room they take up in a bag compared to the bulky Apple charger.

​​

sxc Aug 28, 2020 10:45 pm

MacBooks used to come with this extension cord which would solve the problem.

https://www.apple.com/hk/shop/produc...xtension-cable

DaveS Aug 29, 2020 12:01 am

Something like this (USA version) : Power Adapter Extension Cable

plunet Aug 29, 2020 1:29 am

I personally battle with architects at work who constantly want to hide customer accessible power outlets so they are less visible and usually this means then being hidden in some cubby hole or other architectural detail.

I then point out that their beloved macbooks plug top power supplies won't be able to use the proposed power outlet, especially if it was coupled with a travel adapter. I frequently end up reminding them of their responsibilities to not only design nice environments but also practical environments that people can use without a training course on where to find the obsecured power outlets for their devices. At this point I usually get some evil eyes for insinuating that people are going to want to clutter up and use their architecturally beautiful spaces #sigh.

Apple really are the bête noir in this field, their oversized plug top power supplies are a real pain in the plug.

LondonElite Aug 29, 2020 1:42 am

Just carry a short figure of eight cable with you and problem solved.

DYKWIA Aug 29, 2020 1:44 am

Originally Posted by McG (Post 32637241)
Is it a newer MacBook with a USB C charger?

I use a Mu One 45W USB C PD Charger to power my MacBook rather than the Apple charger. I picked it up at Dixon's travel at GLA airport a couple of years back. It has interchangeable UK, US and EU power plugs so you don't need an adaptor.

The travel tech section of the forum here will have the latest on small compact USB C PD chargers for travel.

​​​​​Another advantage of a compact charger is how little room they take up in a bag compared to the bulky Apple charger.

​​

Yes - I never take my Apple charger anywhere these days, I got one of these :-

2 x USB-C and 2 x USB 3.0.

There is probably an updated version.

It replaced the charger for my laptop, phone, kindle & watch. And if I'm with my missus, it does all her stuff as well.

SKRan Aug 29, 2020 1:49 am

Apple does have an extension for this (and desktop usage) purpose.

13901 Aug 29, 2020 2:08 am

Originally Posted by sxc (Post 32637275)
MacBooks used to come with this extension cord which would solve the problem.

https://www.apple.com/hk/shop/produc...xtension-cable

they’ve enhanced them away?

dougzz Aug 29, 2020 3:00 am

Surely none of this matters as the purpose of Apple devices is never about function, so power is of no importance :)

On a more serious note I prefer 3rd party chargers that handle all devices rather than multiple device specifics ones. But if you like the Apple charger the extension cable mentioned by LondonElite is the way to go.

sxc Aug 29, 2020 3:21 am

Originally Posted by 13901 (Post 32637565)

I think so but I can’t be certain. I have a few in my drawer because I usually take them off. But I can’t remember if my last MacBook Pro (2018) came with one.

TGLoyalty Aug 29, 2020 3:24 am

Originally Posted by 13901 (Post 32637565)

yup used to be standard issue you have to think was it really worth the c£2 cost save for all new customers to face these types of issues and think you have a design flaw.

dougzz Aug 29, 2020 3:53 am

Originally Posted by TGLoyalty (Post 32637636)
yup used to be standard issue you have to think was it really worth the c£2 cost save for all new customers to face these types of issues and think you have a design flaw.

Huge waste of unnecessary cables included with devices. How many charges, cables and earphones find there way to landfill because people just have too many and don't need another set every time they get something new. I agree the manufactures use it to save money, but I think it makes sense anyway. Rumour is iPhone 12 will come with no charger, earphones or any sort of cable.

The_Editor Aug 29, 2020 3:54 am

Originally Posted by plunet (Post 32637508)
I personally battle with architects at work who constantly want to hide customer accessible power outlets so they are less visible and usually this means then being hidden in some cubby hole or other architectural detail.

I then point out that their beloved macbooks plug top power supplies won't be able to use the proposed power outlet, especially if it was coupled with a travel adapter. I frequently end up reminding them of their responsibilities to not only design nice environments but also practical environments that people can use without a training course on where to find the obsecured power outlets for their devices. At this point I usually get some evil eyes for insinuating that people are going to want to clutter up and use their architecturally beautiful spaces #sigh.

Apple really are the bête noir in this field, their oversized plug top power supplies are a real pain in the plug.

So much this! I have lost count of the number of gorgeous hotel rooms I've stayed in that look lovely but are completely impractical - terrible lighting and no bedside charging facility being my top bugbears!