FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   A350 and Macbooks! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2024146-a350-macbooks.html)

JD1905 Aug 29, 2020 4:06 am

I bought 2 Macbook Air’s recently and both came with different charging plugs, one was the size of an iPad one and the other was a larger one that i’d expect for a laptop.

Genius1 Aug 29, 2020 6:57 am

This isn't an A350-specific problem, it afflicts all Club Suite-fitted aircraft.

Originally Posted by 13901 (Post 32637565)
they’ve enhanced them away?

Yes, luckily I kept my extension cable when I sold my 2013 MacBook Air - the 2019 MacBook Air I have now didn't come with one.

DominicB Aug 29, 2020 7:37 am

Well, I thought myself fairly competent in the world of technology - and I use all sorts of alternative chargers for my iPad/phone/watch - but somehow it had never struck me one need not use the Apple charger for a laptop. I think I thought the big bulky plug was somehow vital. I'm off to buy something nice and small before I next make a long-haul flight! Thank you, all!

wilsnunn Aug 29, 2020 7:42 am

It has been buried about the talk about the Apple cable but you can use pretty much any cheap figure of eight cable with the Apple charger. It works, I do it all the time. I have a slimline plug (UK 3 pin that folds flat) on the end of a standard black figure of eight cable. Much easier to travel with.

ETA: something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00A8MFPMS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_XTLsFb7BXZW91

stevebintley Aug 29, 2020 10:47 am

Originally Posted by The_Editor (Post 32637670)
...no bedside charging facility being my top bugbears!

I'm with you on this! Winds me up even more than being on plane for 12-hours with no charging facilities when I'll actually be using the thing too!

AJA_ Aug 29, 2020 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by The_Editor (Post 32637670)
So much this! I have lost count of the number of gorgeous hotel rooms I've stayed in that look lovely but are completely impractical - terrible lighting and no bedside charging facility being my top bugbears!

I solve the lack of power sockets in hotels by having a UK 4 gang extension lead permanently in my luggage. I plug in to the usual single socket in the wall with a single adapter and then have 4 sockets to plug various gadgets using the usual UK power cables. I also carry a foreign to UK adapter which allows me to utilise the power socket that the bedside table lamp is usually plugged in as a power source and just use one of the 4 UK sockets to power the lamp via the adapter.

flyerkit Aug 29, 2020 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by AJA_ (Post 32638507)
I solve the lack of power sockets in hotels by having a UK 4 gang extension lead permanently in my luggage. I plug in to the usual single socket in the wall with a single adapter and then have 4 sockets to plug various gadgets using the usual UK power cables. I also carry a foreign to UK adapter which allows me to utilise the power socket that the bedside table lamp is usually plugged in as a power source and just use one of the 4 UK sockets to power the lamp via the adapter.

I do the reverse. Use us/Japanese 2 pin cables and have a pocket size 4 gang us adapter. Carry a UK to us adapter (small) for use in any UK lounge without us sockets or in Hong Kong

DaveS Aug 29, 2020 3:15 pm

Just be aware of the safety of what you are doing. There are many different adaptors out there that let you change between one socket type and another. Many of them are downright dangerous too. Often the earth/ground connection will be lost through an adaptor and you can lose the fuse/current protection too. It is best to minimise the use of adaptors as much as possible.

Paren Aug 30, 2020 4:11 am

I actually saw a review on YouTube yesterday and it highlighted this issue: (go to 20 mins)

I noticed that the guy in the video was not using a genuine Apple charger so was not sure if this was the issue (I.e. if a genuine Apple charger would fit). But from what the OP of this thread has said, it looks like it doesn't.

As others have said, the extension cable is an option.

But for me personally, I don't like to travel with too many long cables etc. So if my MacBook Pro 16" charger doesn't fit, I may just end up using a powerbank to charge my MacBook Pro over USB-C, which may not be ideal but an option for some.

VSLover Aug 30, 2020 4:15 am

well yes apple used to ship all new laptops with the extension which is handy when i am on long work trips because i can just swap it to UK/US/EU extensions plus the added length is crucial.

not sure you are really saving much space/weight between the extension coiled up and a power bank. the difference would be negligible i think.

GentleGiant Aug 30, 2020 8:35 am

Originally Posted by McG (Post 32637241)
Is it a newer MacBook with a USB C charger?

I use a Mu One 45W USB C PD Charger to power my MacBook rather than the Apple charger. I picked it up at Dixon's travel at GLA airport a couple of years back. It has interchangeable UK, US and EU power plugs so you don't need an adaptor.

The travel tech section of the forum here will have the latest on small compact USB C PD chargers for travel.

​​​​​Another advantage of a compact charger is how little room they take up in a bag compared to the bulky Apple charger.

​​

Mine is 95W, so not a lot of choice for me.

Although I could take a monitor onboard and then use the out power for the Macbook :D

DYKWIA Aug 30, 2020 10:17 am

Originally Posted by GentleGiant (Post 32639844)
Mine is 95W, so not a lot of choice for me.

Although I could take a monitor onboard and then use the out power for the Macbook :D

https://satechi.net/products/108w-pr...32118454386776

LondonElite Aug 30, 2020 10:23 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 32640064)

I was thinking the same thing, but the USB C maxes out at 90W.

DYKWIA Aug 30, 2020 10:30 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 32640080)
I was thinking the same thing, but the USB C maxes out at 90W.

So what? It just means it will charge slightly more slowly.

stampcollector Aug 30, 2020 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 32640095)
So what? It just means it will charge slightly more slowly.

This is incorrect, my 15" MBP can't charge with a 45w charger as it can't draw enough power (but my 85w charger will happily charge an MBA much faster than the standard charger)