Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When did BA lose its Class?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2020, 11:57 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Originally Posted by Dan72
Can you point to where this official position is confirmed? Genuinely curious.

Where did LX come from? Nobody mentioned LX and LX is not a synonym for LH. That said LX also had slopey seats within the last 10 years too, although they went all flat before LH.

It often strikes me that it's the more infrequent traveller that has the most strident if not binary views.
I dont like pointing the obvious. You can google it. You asked me how often i travel in J and i gave you an answer. Looks like you did not like it?

What often strikes me is the people who will defend the same product when is widely ranked as below average. Also you mentioned the J product. What about F?

There is a general consensus that BA F is a very good J product. If you compare it with similar F products with the main competitors such as LH, LX and AF you will be quite dissapointed.

Also BA is the only airline i know so far that overbooks F. As i mentioned before its about the profit not the experience or customer service.
passy777 and Chris_G like this.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by ermis177
I dont like pointing the obvious. You can google it. You asked me how often i travel in J and i gave you an answer. Looks like you did not like it?

What often strikes me is the people who will defend the same product when is widely ranked as below average. Also you mentioned the J product. What about F?

There is a general consensus that BA F is a very good J product. If you compare it with similar F products with the main competitors such as LH, LX and AF you will be quite dissapointed.

Also BA is the only airline i know so far that overbooks F. As i mentioned before its about the profit not the experience or customer service.
ermis177 do you have an axe to grind with BA?
Dan72 and HIDDY like this.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 12:29 pm

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
And a litany of alternative facts with which to grind them.
krispy84 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 12:44 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
I recall a discussion about BA v LH J and flat beds etc. Apparently the quality or otherwise of BA F and whether or not BA oversell F is germane to the issue.
Dan72 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 12:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Sharpened with the edge of a gold card.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 2:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Jagboi
If it's "just transportation" and the only purpose is to get from a-b, why does the Orient Express exist? Why do luxury cruises exist?

There is a market for more than slaveship level transportation.
I am not convinced that for econony travel there is - this has been tested by airlines - AA and earlier still TW tried offering more legroom througout economy - if a decent market for it existed, then I expect that it would not have died
I am not convinced that there is a decent market for pure premium travel - again this has been tested and not greatly successful
For shorthaul travel, the market seems to be price driven
For premium travel, BA seems to be happy having a mediocre product - personally when paying for business/first ( where there is a proper business class - not economy sold as business ) BA tends for my travel to (a) be inferior and (b) more expensive, so not likely to be chosen

Cruise ships are not much of a comparison when looking at the purchase of a ticket from A-B
Old Aug 29, 2020, 3:11 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Unfortunately, FlyerTalk is being used by a few as a vehicle to misrepresent the truth. Negative experience (real but isolated examples) posted on social media is being selectively gathered, regurgitated, and amplified n times over to force an impression that isn’t faithful to normality. I believe the phenomenon is now referred to as “misinformation warfare”.

Fortunately those of us who experience the product first hand can spot this, form our own impressions and share it here, which counters the misinformation.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 4:32 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Originally Posted by Prospero
Unfortunately, FlyerTalk is being used by a few as a vehicle to misrepresent the truth. Negative experience (real but isolated examples) posted on social media is being selectively gathered, regurgitated, and amplified n times over to force an impression that isn’t faithful to normality. I believe the phenomenon is now referred to as “misinformation warfare”.

Fortunately those of us who experience the product first hand can spot this, form our own impressions and share it here, which counters the misinformation.
Totally agree here. FT has been a fantastic source when it comes to reviews etc. I was encouraged by yourself i think a few months back to post some of my reviews which i did a few weeks ago with the awfully disgusting seats.

While myself and others are usually posting balanced views ( personally very positive experience with lounge but very bad with the plane cleaness) some profiles ( about 5 i can think) they will always, ALWAYS, defend BA. Whatever BA does. From the the afternoon tea to the 'amazing' CW experience. A very good example was the thread about a flight departed from US with only 5 crew member.
While the review was real, the BA fanatics informed us that first of all this cannot be true as it would be illegal and some others posted that the story was false and fake news.

How can a few members have always a positive review with a specific airline is beyond logic.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by Jagboi
If it's "just transportation" and the only purpose is to get from a-b, why does the Orient Express exist?
Because its purpose is not transportation, but the experience of riding a luxury train.

Why do luxury cruises exist?
Because their purpose is not transportation either. In fact lots of cruises end at the same port they started.

Actually cruises are a very good data point. There are still lots of passenger ships meant primarily for transportation, including ferries that take several days to travel. And accommodation and service on ferries is way less luxurious than on cruise ships.

This means people are willing to pay for luxury when riding a train/ship for the experience, but much less so when they are doing it in order to get transported from A to B.

There is a market for more than slaveship level transportation.
And it's being perfectly served by Y+ and lie-flat J (even with awful meals). Mind you, Y+ and lie-flat J pretty much correspond to the levels of comfort in J and F back in the "golden age of aviation" that some posters sorely miss these days.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 11:18 pm

Programs: Confirmed
Yes the world moved on, but perhaps you didn't?

While historically aviation had associations with affluence, glamour and in your words 'class', that's not true any more and hasn't been for some time. Flying and travelling by air is really quite a quotidian activity. BA does it well, we know so, because it's a commercial market place with choice and BA do better in that market than most, because they're giving more people what they want, more of the time than their main competitors. I don't see that contrived analysis is going to change that state of affairs.
Because “class” people do not actually always pay for glamour when flying. They have the choice to pay less and travel with £9.99 fare people.

There are more glamour on other airlines, cheaper fares on other airlines. BA (and most European carriers) are trying really hard to balance between these two things.
Dan72 likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2020, 2:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
For my flights to the States I have AA, for my flights to Asia I have QR. When did BA loose it's class - I couldn't care less as I normally survive my intra-European flights with them.
blackdog047 likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2020, 3:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Duck1981
When did BA loose it's class.
About the same time that posters started using loose rather than lose
cockpitvisit, lukew, SKRan and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 30, 2020, 3:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Sorry, English is not my first language
krispy84 likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2020, 7:34 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by TBD
Both Delta and IAG had the same operating margin in Q4 2019 - 12% after costs, however different those costs may be. Above UA and AA and very far above AFKL & LHG.

The point remains: IAG could have used some of that profit to enhance traveler experience. IAG chose not to.
Fares are far higher in the US than Europe in the main, certainly by enough to cover a coke and a cookie
Old Aug 30, 2020, 7:49 am

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
A "Flyertalk Legend" cheap-shotting for spelling reasons? Alrighty.
T8191 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.