Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Tier points for avios redemption flights - might BA follow VS new policy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2020, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)

Title says it all -- VS Flying Club just announced they will award tier points on mileage redemptions as of next month.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 10:28 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
I wondered when I read this, but I mostly think BA have other fish to fry right now. Maybe in the future, who knows?
Old Aug 20, 2020, 11:18 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Am I correct in remembering that you used to get TP and BA miles on a Airmiles bookings in the days before Avios?
Old Aug 20, 2020, 11:20 am

I just saw this announcement by VS. I hope BA follows suit and soon. There is going to be a battle for survival, and that means a battle for passengers. I expect to see more innovative announcements in the coming months.

rb211.
aidy likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 11:22 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
based on BA's responsiveness to things like this, i imagine something similar to be announced in fall 2021.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 11:43 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
No...
Old Aug 20, 2020, 11:48 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Akoz
Am I correct in remembering that you used to get TP and BA miles on a Airmiles bookings in the days before Avios?
I don't remember that happening and have been a member of BAEC since the early 90s.

But then again, I can't remember what I had for breakfast this morning.
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 11:54 am

VS are in a weaker position than BA, and may have a greater need to entice customers. I can see it going either way whether BA were to follow suit. I guess I would benefit if they did - although maybe not if that would mean devaluing Avios...
Old Aug 20, 2020, 12:01 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

If you want to offload a stash of Avios and collect Tier Points, just book a commercial fare and part pay with Avios.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 6:17 pm
ECR

I would be surprised if BA introduced this but you never know.

Qantas recently introduced this, and from their point of view I think it was quite smart. To be eligible you have to qualify for their Points Club which requires you to have collected 150,000 Qantas Points in the last year, and the vast majority of the points have to come from non-flying activities. At a time when there is less flying going on it provides an opportunity to bring in revenue through the sales of Qantas Points to supermarkets, credit card companies etc and direct. It also encourages people to hold onto points to spend on Qantas rather than redeeming for third party things such as hotels.

Qantas also have recently had a couple of limited special offers to earn Status Credits (their equivalent to Tier Points) from non flying activities such as converting credit card points (e.g. Amex) to Qantas Points, buying petrol, spending in supermarkets or booking some hotels.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 12:05 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by KARFA
No...
nailed it
wilsnunn, bisonrav and TGLoyalty like this.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 1:24 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Never, if only!
Old Aug 21, 2020, 2:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I can't help but think this would come with a catch 22, like the TP attainment tiers would move up in reaction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.