Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA codeshares on Kangaroo route and future of BA15/16

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2020, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire

With BA codeshares on QR now loaded and bookable to Australia, will this hasten the end of flights on BA metal to Australia?

Would be a shame to lose the option of burning Amex vouchers to Oz.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 4:00 pm

Programs: BAEC
I believe that using the 777-300 and with MF crewing this route turned a healthy profit now; would be surprising to see it axed though of course unlikely to return before Australia reopens which is now expected to be 2021.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
The temptation to free up 3x 777s will be very tempting when the yield doing transatlantic is so much higher.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 6:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Originally Posted by wb1969
The temptation to free up 3x 777s will be very tempting when the yield doing transatlantic is so much higher.
They’re not short of B777s, quite the opposite. They even have new build B77Ws due in the autumn!
Old Aug 19, 2020, 6:21 pm

Programs: BAEC
Well Qantas don’t expect to operate International flights until July 2021, so BA have a long time to judge the market and assess its profitability.

I could see the 787-9 taking on the route for BA if demand is still lower though.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With BA codeshares on QR now loaded and bookable to Australia, will this hasten the end of flights on BA metal to Australia?

Would be a shame to lose the option of burning Amex vouchers to Oz.
In my view the end of BA metal to AU has already happened.
The Australian border will be tightly controlled while Covid-19 is a risk. Will take years to get back to 2019 passenger numbers

ExecTraveller (AU)--->BA, Qatar Airways launch joint flights to Australia

British Airways will add its BA code to Qatar Airways flights to Australia from late October, offering an easier way for its rusted-on travellers to make the long journey 'down under' – especially in lieu of BA's own London-Singapore-Sydney route, which was suspended in April 2020 and may not return until sometime in 2021.
<snip>
In addition to being a fellow member of the Oneworld alliance, Qatar Airways holds a 25% stake in British Airways' parent IAG and has confirmed it will fully support IAG's planned €2.75 billion equity fund raising, as well as place two non-executive directors on IAG's board.
Qatar QR setting its self up as the dominant carrier into AU, with flights to all main airports. BNE was added recently, but has a end date
Old Aug 19, 2020, 8:26 pm

Programs: QF
I think the 77W will be too premium heavy, i think the 789 or 35K could take over the route, and possibly change to via DOH.
QR is maxed out on rights to Oz, codesharing on BA would be an easy way to another flight.

Also if business / VFR demand is suppressed to the USA for a long time, people might took to safer long haul destinations when they are able...AU/NZ
Old Aug 19, 2020, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by jrfsp320
I think the 77W will be too premium heavy, i think the 789 or 35K could take over the route, and possibly change to via DOH.
QR is maxed out on rights to Oz, codesharing on BA would be an easy way to another flight.

Also if business / VFR demand is suppressed to the USA for a long time, people might took to safer long haul destinations when they are able...AU/NZ
The Oz market never really gelled well with the ME stopover. Instead preferring a Far Eastern stopover which was better value to to their needs and pivotal to QF ditching DXB in favour of SIN in safer times on their SYD-LON service. DXB remains as a EK operated codeshare option for those who want that and/or who are flying into regional Britain (which BA doesn't do particularly well).

That said, the persuasive voice of BA's financial investor may be enough to make that happen, although from a service perspective I know which metal I'd prefer to be on, but give me SIN over DOH any day.

I definitely see a role for the 35K on SYD at some point.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
ExecTraveller (AU)--->BA, Qatar Airways launch joint flights to Australia

its rusted-on travellers

I don't claim to be an expert on Aussie parlance, but that's a new one for me!

What, in Australia, does "rusted-on" mean, specifically when used to describe BA travellers? (They surely are not referring to my ilk - Bronze card holders!!!)
Old Aug 20, 2020, 12:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by irishguy28

What, in Australia, does "rusted-on" mean, specifically when used to describe BA travellers? (They surely are not referring to my ilk - Bronze card holders!!!)
It means a frequent flyer who is so loyal that they would never fly anyone else.

Been there so long that they've had enough time to turn to rust.

Perhaps many people here, really haha
Old Aug 20, 2020, 12:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by irishguy28

I'm no expert in Aussie argot but I would expect it to mean travelers so loyal to flying BA that they're virtually welded on like rusted bolts or barnacles on a boat and would always choose a BA flight over alternatives.

The logical fallacy of this particular journalistic flourish is of course that flying a BA codeshare on a QR frame is not 'flying BA' per se and the thing someone taking such an option is really 'rusted-on' to is the bonus Avios for Tier Status that a BA flight code gets you which QR does not.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 12:38 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
if only BA could actually fly them transatlantic.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 1:01 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
I also think you’ve seen the last BA flight to SYD for a good few years. The market is expected to START to recover next year. That recovery will take years.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 1:32 am

Programs: *G, OWS
Originally Posted by jrfsp320

Depending on how the limits on international entry will develop, a business heavy airplane might be preferable. Operating a plane with only premium passengers on that route could turn out profitable while a mix between eco and premium fares might not when the numers of entries into Australia allocated to each airline/flight is capped.
Something like BA1 to down under might be interesting (not that the A318 has the range even with one stop en route)
Old Aug 20, 2020, 2:22 am

Programs: MUCCI
Begs the question if BA will look into a "project sunrise" type service with a reconfigured A350 or 777X to do LHR SYD non stop direct. It would be premium heavy at 18 hours flying non stop and the numbers wanting to do that would be small anyway (I think in Economy or even Premium Economy it would be a grueling run) and for those that want a break you can go via Qatar (on a BA/QR codeshare agreement) or via Singapore (on a BA/QF agreement). However, one could ask who wants to be on a plane for 18 hours after the world of COVID and are we going to want shorter flights or stopovers rather than long marathon runs around the world....
FD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.