Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is it worth booking a 2021 BA flight out of LGW?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2020, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Hi all

I’m looking to book a break to Crete next year. BA are showing good availability for flights from LGW to HER, including redemption bookings.

While flying into and out of HER (rather than CHQ) would be more convenient I’m wondering if it’s worth the risk given the rumours about BA potentially pulling out of Gatwick? Were BA to leave LGW would the flight be simple moved to LHR or cancelled?

any advice much appreciated
Old Aug 17, 2020, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Book it. Maybe it gets moved to LHR - maybe it gets cancelled. Nice to have something to look forward to where's that much needed crystal ball thread ?!
Anonba likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Book it. Maybe it gets moved to LHR - maybe it gets cancelled. Nice to have something to look forward to where's that much needed crystal ball thread ?!
thanks and indeed I was hoping someone would have a working crystal ball!
Old Aug 17, 2020, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by ALIAS AKA
thanks and indeed I was hoping someone would have a working crystal ball!
... for health & safety reasons the Crystal Ball has been enhanced
Old Aug 17, 2020, 7:17 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
I booked my Gatwick to Paphos flights in Club Europe for June 2021 a couple of weeks back. The Club Cabin looked pretty busy so I reserved seats as well.
If short haul from Gatwick did go I will either be transferred to Heathrow or get my money back.
In my view the more people that book for Summer 2021 ex Gatwick the less likely all short haul will be pulled.
If people hold back it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Last Summer BA had nearly 90 departures a day from Gatwick. No way will they have slots for all of those when things improve over next 2 to 3 years. Are they really prepared to hand it all over to Easyjet after
fighting back quite well in recent years? Ryanair and Wizz also waiting in the wings
Akoz likes this.

Last edited by vectismanpaul; Aug 17, 2020 at 10:42 am
Old Aug 17, 2020, 7:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Diamond, IHG Diamond
Get the (likely) cheaper ex LGW flights booked and then if/when BA move them to LHR you can either go ahead with your booking or opt for a refund. If you’re happy to invest in BA this far out then it’ll likely pay off as if/when the flights are moved to LHR the price will likely increase quite a bit.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by vectismanpaul
In my view the more people that book for Summer 2021 ex Gatwick the less likely all short haul will be pulled.
If people hold back it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.
We’ve done our bit and booked a BA holiday to Tenerife from Gatwick for May 2021! Hope it sticks. Closer to home than LHR and the Gatwick lounge is very comfortable and has lovely staff. If it moves to LHR, we should be able to cancel.

Last edited by AmaaiZeg; Aug 17, 2020 at 8:31 am
Old Aug 17, 2020, 8:45 am

Programs: BAEC
I’ve booked Gatwick to Venice next year as it was so much cheaper than LHR. I don’t mind where I travel from to be honest so will keep an eye on the situation.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 9:46 am

Programs: BAEC: Bronze; Marriott: Gold
Originally Posted by AmaaiZeg
We’ve done our bit and booked a BA holiday to Tenerife from Gatwick for May 2021! Hope it sticks. Closer to home than LHR and the Gatwick lounge is very comfortable and has lovely staff. If it moves to LHR, we should be able to cancel.
Hopefully we'll see you there.
BA2730 2/5/21
BA2731 14/5/21
AmaaiZeg likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 10:05 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
I have booked a number of flights involving LGW. I really do want to fly to LGW and feel that healthy forward bookings may influence BA's decision whether to operated from LGW. Since LGW is close to where I want to go, BA moving these flights to LHR will cause me to cancel since there are quite acceptable alternatives to BA which do still operate to LGW. By the same token as forward bookings showing BA there is demand, cancelling bookings changed to LHR will also show that this demand cannot necessarily be transferred to LHR. I would definitely encourage passengers wishing to fly to or from LGW to book that already.
AmaaiZeg likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.