Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chances of BA starting a Guernsey service

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2020, 2:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Chances of BA starting a Guernsey service

Once COVID restrictions are limited or reduced, what are the chances of BA flying to Guernsey? I gather Flybe's route was pretty successful until the airline's untimely demise. Let's face it, there will be plenty of spare slots at LGW (and possible even LHR) now....
Old Jul 21, 2020, 3:12 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
I doubt it, blue islands, who were operating as a franchise of Flybe for the Channel Islands is more likely to pick up these flights now it is operating independently.
1Aturnleft and T8191 like this.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 3:28 am

Programs: BAEC
Don’t think you can land any of the BA mainline fleet at GCI anyway.

I also doubt that the hyper-isolationist approach of the Guernsey government is especially attractive to any airlines other than the one that the government owns...

Last edited by Never Stansted; Jul 21, 2020 at 3:41 am
Old Jul 21, 2020, 3:57 am

The strategic asset the island's government wants to protect is the LGW slots, not the airline itself. A franchise arrangement ought to be possible, but who knows whether there is an appetite.
HFHFFlyer and SxMan like this.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 7:22 am
jmd

Programs: BAEC gold
I think that the runway at GCI is too short for A319/320, so the chances are nil. That is why EZ don't serve GCI either, in spite of their (usually) thriving operation at JER
Old Jul 21, 2020, 11:36 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by jmd
I think that the runway at GCI is too short for A319/320, so the chances are nil. That is why EZ don't serve GCI either, in spite of their (usually) thriving operation at JER
I have certainly seen a Lufthansa A319 (I think that it was not an A320) at GCI in 1995.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 11:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I have certainly seen a Lufthansa A319 (I think that it was not an A320) at GCI in 1995.
319s can operate to GCI (not sure about 320s). The last, I believe, was the BA 'Firefly', G-EUPC, which brought the Olympic torch to the Island. They are heavily restricted though and don't think they can operate with any meaningful payload.

The biggest regular operation is the Aurigny E195, so theoretically Cityflyer might be able to start a service.

Remember that The States of Guernsey own Aurigny, primarily to protect the LGW route. However that didn't stop them last year subsidising BE's LHR service... Which certainly didn't help the millions upon millions GR uses yearly.
jmd likes this.

Last edited by TraumaDoc; Jul 21, 2020 at 12:00 pm
Old Jul 21, 2020, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by jmd
Much though I would love to see Evergreen International Airlines of McMinniville, Oregon, at GCI, I think they have a few serious impediments to doing so. Notably their fleet of entirely 747 aircraft and their 2013 bankruptcy.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 1:21 pm

Programs: BAEC
Both Aurigny and Blue Islands recently suspended their routes from the CI’s to LCY. So that either shows demand isn’t there or BACF has a good opportunity to plug the gap. I feel it’s the former.
TraumaDoc likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 2:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
i can't help thinking in for the foreseeable future we will be seeing the number of destinations served shrink before we see it increase
Old Jul 21, 2020, 3:30 pm
jmd

Originally Posted by Confus
Much though I would love to see Evergreen International Airlines of McMinniville, Oregon, at GCI, I think they have a few serious impediments to doing so. Notably their fleet of entirely 747 aircraft and their 2013 bankruptcy.
Yes, I know that EasyJet’s IATA code is U2, but they have used EZ as a prefix for their flight numbers for a long time on the basis that their ICAO code is EZY. I don’t think anyone was confused
Old Jul 21, 2020, 3:34 pm
jmd

Originally Posted by BAeuro
Both Aurigny and Blue Islands recently suspended their routes from the CI’s to LCY. So that either shows demand isn’t there or BACF has a good opportunity to plug the gap. I feel it’s the former.
The Blue Islands Route to LCY (on an ATR-72j was generally very well used. I suspect that in the current circumstances they have decided that the aircraft is better employed on picking up the ex-flybe regional routes. I would however expect this route to return fairly shortly. I think BACF would struggle to fill an E190 though.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 3:59 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
It was great when BA city express used to fly their ATRs onto the island
The even used to have a small CE cabin at the rear of the plane . There was a tiny lounge on the roof of the old terminal with a couole of bottles of wine!

I always thought Aurigny could operate a BA franchise but I was told BA were not interested in a deal

The little opportunistic LHR slot by flybe was a surprising success but sadly was never going to be long term

Aurigny always comes high on passenger satisfaction surveys but has gone very ‘low cost’ in the last few years and they still lose heaps of money

Maybe Loganair could do a BA franchise ; but isn’t the Isle of Man version of this coming to an end?
Skipcool3 and jmd like this.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 8:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by Confus
(Venturing seriously OT here!) Across the street from the former Evergreen headquarters in McMinnville is the Evergreen Air and Space Museum - well worth a visit, the have the Hughes Spruce Goose there. Adjacent to that is the Wings and Waves water park, which has a 747-100 mounted on top which houses some water slides!

T8191, SavvyTravel and jmd like this.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by jmd
Yes, I know that EasyJet’s IATA code is U2, but they have used EZ as a prefix for their flight numbers for a long time on the basis that their ICAO code is EZY. I don’t think anyone was confused
No they haven’t! They have used EZY and EZS for a long time, and more recently EJU, but have NEVER used EZ.
Using codes is all very well, but they have to be right or it’s just pointless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.