Wiki Posts
Search

Question about Terminal 5 lounge access

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2020, 2:39 am
Original Poster

Question about Terminal 5 lounge access

Hi,
We're travelling to Athens on 1st September, I'm a BAEC GOLD member and I've booked us front row seats. Does anyone know if ALL of (me plus my wife and teenage daughter) will be able to use the First lounge? I know that normally it's just the member plus one guest but I've read somewhere that Business Class are now allowed into the First lounge? Did I read that correctly and would you expect all three of us to have any confusion by staff at the First desk and special security and entrance?

Oh and (I've tried to read through the many posts) what is the experience currently like. At table service, no Eggs Benedict I ready, shame that's my favourite.

Thanks
ademanuele likes this.

Last edited by sparkswillfly; Jul 20, 2020 at 2:46 am Reason: Extra
Old Jul 20, 2020, 2:52 am

Programs: AC 35K
I don't think so, Galleries Club is open though - all should be eligible if CE. Table service in GC too, scan a QR code on each table to order and food is brought out to you (rather quickly in my experience).
Old Jul 20, 2020, 2:56 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by sparkswillfly
Hi,
We're travelling to Athens on 1st September, I'm a BAEC GOLD member and I've booked us front row seats. Does anyone know if ALL of (me plus my wife and teenage daughter) will be able to use the First lounge? I know that normally it's just the member plus one guest but I've read somewhere that Business Class are now allowed into the First lounge? Did I read that correctly and would you expect all three of us to have any confusion by staff at the First desk and special security and entrance?
The usual rule is Gold plus one guest. Two guests is the benefit of a higher card than Gold. The check-in staff may exercise discretion on this, but the rule is "plus one". One of your party would have Galleries Club access, as you imply.

The First lounge is open longer hours than Galleries Club so depending on timing and circumstances, it may be possible that Galleries Club passenger to end up in the First lounge anyway. However my understanding is that BA is seeing a relatively high proportion of Silver, Gold and Club passengers passing through LHR and so GC is being kept open for longer than originally planned. By September I think GC will be open fulltime, but that's just my guess.

However the gap between GC and First lounge is now very small indeed, there are some differences but in the context of a family trip I doubt many travellers would notice, unless they were very picky. GC has had an almighty uplift in service, So if you and your family did end up there, you wouldn't suffer too much.
sparkswillfly likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
No, Gold plus one. The three of you will be able to use Galleries. Lot's of details on this and it's access on the main thread :

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...firmed-30.html
sparkswillfly and noddie09 like this.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 3:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by theultimateflyer
I don't think so, Galleries Club is open though - all should be eligible if CE. Table service in GC too, scan a QR code on each table to order and food is brought out to you (rather quickly in my experience).
Thanks for the reply, with table service I'm sure it won't make much difference which lounge we're in, I wouldn't know a vintage champagne from a regular anyway.
mikeyfly and groenroos like this.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 3:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The usual rule is Gold plus one guest. Two guests is the benefit of a higher card than Gold. The check-in staff may exercise discretion on this, but the rule is "plus one". One of your party would have Galleries Club access, as you imply.

The First lounge is open longer hours than Galleries Club so depending on timing and circumstances, it may be possible that Galleries Club passenger to end up in the First lounge anyway. However my understanding is that BA is seeing a relatively high proportion of Silver, Gold and Club passengers passing through LHR and so GC is being kept open for longer than originally planned. By September I think GC will be open fulltime, but that's just my guess.

However the gap between GC and First lounge is now very small indeed, there are some differences but in the context of a family trip I doubt many travellers would notice, unless they were very picky. GC has had an almighty uplift in service, So if you and your family did end up there, you wouldn't suffer too much.
Great reply, thanks - yes we're certainly not fussy fliers and I've seen both lounges so many times it didn't really matter to me so the GC will be fine for us. I suppose I should have said but one of the other important things I was considering was that we'd benefit from the dedicated Fast Track security. I have pictures in my head of 2 metre socially distant security queues snaking out the doors of T5.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

..... I have pictures in my head of 2 metre socially distant security queues snaking out the doors of T5.
If you look at the weekend's threads, there's been 30cm not-socially distanced queues snaking out the doors at T5 !!
Old Jul 20, 2020, 3:15 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Great reply, thanks - yes we're certainly not fussy fliers and I've seen both lounges so many times it didn't really matter to me so the GC will be fine for us. I suppose I should have said but one of the other important things I was considering was that we'd benefit from the dedicated Fast Track security. I have pictures in my head of 2 metre socially distant security queues snaking out the doors of T5.
1 September is a Tuesday. In which case, as things stand, you will be able to socially distance and be through security in minutes no matter what channel you use. Obviously you'll get a sharper view of this when you get near to the date of departure, but normal Fast Track is probably going to open up soon, I suspect.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 3:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I wouldn't know a vintage champagne from a regular anyway.
Nor do BA
SxMan and EDIwanderer like this.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 4:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
TBH until the BA Burger returns to the menu in GF, there is no difference to me
Old Jul 21, 2020, 11:20 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
There may of course be an exception to this under the new 'pay us enough and get lounge access anyway' deal being offered by BA. Give them £1k + pr person and use the lounge for up to 3 hrs before flight even if flying down the back without even being a BAEC member
Old Aug 10, 2021, 5:26 am

Agree, bring back the Eggs Benedict and also Burger and chips please BA!
Old Aug 10, 2021, 6:08 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
…However the gap between GC and First lounge is now very small indeed, there are some differences but in the context of a family trip I doubt many travellers would notice, unless they were very picky. GC has had an almighty uplift in service, So if you and your family did end up there, you wouldn't suffer too much.
There’s still a marked difference in the food offering tho, isn’t there ?
Old Aug 10, 2021, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by bafan
There’s still a marked difference in the food offering tho, isn’t there ?
There is a difference in the dishes on offer, probably more substantial in the morning when in GF you can order a full English, but in GC its a bacon roll with soggy hash brown, but by no stretch of the imagination marked throughout the rest of the day.

I note that the champagne in GF is also the same Nicolas Feuillatte they serve in CE!
Old Aug 10, 2021, 8:12 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
I have pictures in my head of 2 metre socially distant security queues snaking out the doors of T5.
Those are complete figments of the imagination. While people tend to leave a bit of space, its nothing like 2m! Its also slightly bizarre to leave 2m in front and behind you yet be looking into the face of the person either side of the Tensa barrier!
Security queues aren't too bad at the moment, the real pinch point, as far as I can see, is check-in. The document checks seem to take an age, T5 and T2 just are not set up for such high proportion of in-person check-in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.