Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Malaga Airport Sala Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2020, 1:45 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I understand but how did they come up with AGP - I know that some of these IATA codes are bizarre - Canada in particular but whilst ORD is Chicago, I understand that O'Hare was once Orchard Field. I'm just curious. All the rest of Spain is fairly understandable (BCN, VLA, VGO, etc)
Old Jul 18, 2020, 1:48 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
(why is it AGP and not MLG?)
It got a raw deal from IATA. Despite being the oldest continuously operated airport of its type in Spain, IATA had already give MLG to Malang, which as I'm sure you know is in Java, Indonesia. Most of the other obvious options were also taken, so IATA took AG from the middle of Málaga and stuck a random P in for good measure.The logic being either to make it similar to the name or make it so different that it can't be confused with somewhere else. Canada has a logic twist of its own but it's too late for me to expound on it.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 1:49 pm

Programs: BAEC
I believe it’s because Pablo Picasso, himself was born in Malaga and the airport code is named after the great artist. Aeropuerto Gran Picasso.

...but that could be, as Trump says, fake news! Picasso was born in Malaga but I don’t know how true the naming of the airport is after him.

Last edited by rockflyertalk; Jul 18, 2020 at 1:57 pm
Old Jul 18, 2020, 1:53 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It got a raw deal from IATA. Despite being the oldest continuously operated airport of its type in Spain, IATA had already give MLG to Malang, which as I'm sure you know is in Java, Indonesia. Most of the other obvious options were also taken, so IATA took AG from the middle of Málaga and stuck a random P in for good measure.The logic being either to make it similar to the name or make it so different that it can't be confused with somewhere else. Canada has a logic twist of its own but it's too late for me to expound on it.
How fascinating! I am glad that I asked rockflyertalk thank you as well. I like your explanation best - and I had no idea that Picasso was born in Malaga. I'm glad that I asked the question.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 2:03 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
I believe it’s because Pablo Picasso, himself was born in Malaga and the airport code is named after the great artist. Aeropuerto Gran Picasso.

...but that could be, as Trump says, fake news!
Yes it is, I'm afraid. The airport's official name is Málaga–Costa del Sol Airport, only terminal 2 is named after Picasso. Since we are way off topic, one interesting thing to do in Málaga is to visit his childhood home, which is a modest apartment off Plaza de la Merced - his father was also an artist but was a professor of art at the local art college. Picasso started drawing from the age of 7 and never stopped, some of his early work is in his former bedroom.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 4:37 pm

Update from Twitter

Helen says...
Old Jul 18, 2020, 5:06 pm

P.S I’m sure Helen says sorry if you’re flying tomorrow

Good news however. Let’s hope the comms between BA and the Lounge agents are on point for Monday.

Safe travels.
BAeuro likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 5:07 pm

Maybe they just terminated the contracts for the few months when nobody was flying, which is fair enough. If they all do reopen (including AGP on Monday), then all is well.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by BAeuro
Maybe they just terminated the contracts for the few months when nobody was flying, which is fair enough. If they all do reopen (including AGP on Monday), then all is well.
Ah that sounds like a company that wanted to be sensible and control costs during the lockdown phase, you could well be right there. It’s certainly in someone’s DNA!

I have no idea how Lounge contracts work but if there was some arrangement agreed between BA and Aena for an interim period then that would make sense.

Could it be that the small noise on FT has woken the issue and we can pat ourselves of the back for reestablishing lounge access, we shall never know. But glad it will work out. Thanks to the OP
sunshinebob and BAeuro like this.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 10:07 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
Helen says...
I also received a message on Twitter from BA yesterday stating:

“Hi, TravellerFrequently It looks like the Sala VIP Lounge has reopened in Malaga airport which you'll be able to use.’”

I will see and confirm tomorrow.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 8:39 am

Programs: Virtuoso TA; SELECT TA; BAEC Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond; IHG Plantinum Amb
Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
I also received a message on Twitter from BA yesterday stating:

“Hi, TravellerFrequently It looks like the Sala VIP Lounge has reopened in Malaga airport which you'll be able to use.’”

I will see and confirm tomorrow.
Fingers crossed for you! When we flew yesterday the very helpful lady at check-in commented "BA are not currently paying, there is a rumour that it will be open for BA again from [Monday] but we haven't been told yet and who knows - this is BA!"
Old Jul 20, 2020, 9:52 am

So the original BA info given earlier was infact incorrect and it wasn't currently open to BA customers? Something tells me all will be fine from Monday onwards....
Old Jul 20, 2020, 12:08 pm

Programs: BAEC G, Bonvoy T, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Happened to me like 2 years back from from Seville (SVQ), the lounge was open but not accepting BA passengers due to the lounge is owned by AENA and not by Iberia or any other OW carrier, so they seem to negotiate on lounge basis...

I got in with the priority pass though, but was a shame they pushed back. Next time I flew out from SVQ the agreement was already in place... pretty bad sourcing management team in BA having the deals expired over and over...
Old Jul 20, 2020, 12:20 pm

Programs: BA GfL, TK *G+
I was in the lounge earlier today, albeit on an IB operated flight, but on a BA codeshare booking. No issue getting in.

once in, taken to a spare and cleaned table, had a choice of seating as do empty. Food and beverage a little better than usual, just go to the counter and ask for whatever you want.
no papers or magazines but they do give you a link to download if required.

cava is available.

sorry I forgot to ask if access allowed for any direct BA flights.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 12:39 am

Programs: baec
Flew back on Sunday and no access to lounge. No priority club check-in either. Contacted BA via twitter requesting some of my Avios back, they replied.......We try to make those benefits available but it's not possible to do this at all our stations. This isn't something we'd reconsider and we wouldn't offer a refund.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.