Search

T5 - bring on board food and wine?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2020, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC - Gold
T5 - bring on board food and wine?

Hello

We’ve booked a last-minute silly priced trip to Budapest leaving on Sunday afternoon. Does anyone know if Wagamama T5 are still doing their usual take-away boxes? Also, is world duty free open to get a bottle of wine?

Thanks in advance

TFC
Old Jul 17, 2020, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Great info on the Using T5 thread ... COVID-19 and BA: Using Heathrow T5

Recent pointers

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32531289-post126.html
Old Jul 17, 2020, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by TheFlyingCyclist
Hello

We’ve booked a last-minute silly priced trip to Budapest leaving on Sunday afternoon. Does anyone know if Wagamama T5 are still doing their usual take-away boxes? Also, is world duty free open to get a bottle of wine?

Thanks in advance

TFC
I hate to be pi***ng on your parade but opening up your alcohol onboard isn't allowed (and, if I may, I'm sure you can resist for a couple of hours?).
Also, and rather more worrying for your plans, have you checked Hungary's new requirements? I think they're already in force, but for UK arrivals/British nationals either you have 2 negative Covid-19 tests done within the last 5 days and within 48 hours from one another (and with a stamped piece of paper certifying the results, no less!) or it's a lovely weekend away in quarantine monitored by the supremely friendly Rendőrség...

Edit: from IATA:

1. Passengers are not allowed to enter.
- This does not apply to:
- nationals of Hungary, and their family members;
- passengers arriving from Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, China (People’s Rep.), Croatia, Cyprus, Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland (Rep.), Italy, Japan, Korea (Rep.), Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russian Fed., San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, USA, United Kingdom or Vatican City (Holy See);
- passengers with a permanent residence permit issued by Hungary, and their family members;
- passengers with a signed and stamped letter issued by the Deputy-Chief Officer of the National Police.
2. Passengers are subject to medical screening and quarantine for 14 days.
- This does not apply to:
- nationals of Hungary, and their family members;
- passengers arriving from Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Cyprus, Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland (Rep.), Italy, Korea (Rep.), Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, Poland, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Switzerland or Vatican City (Holy See);
- passengers with 2 separate medical certificates with a negative Coronavirus (COVID-19) PCR test result issued at most 5 days before arrival.
UK arrivals are allowed but it's either medical screening and quarantine or double negatives.
TheFlyingCyclist likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 10:09 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by 13901
I hate to be pi***ng on your parade but opening up your alcohol onboard isn't allowed (and, if I may, I'm sure you can resist for a couple of hours?).
I believe there was a thread a while ago where BA cabin crew confirmed that it is not against any rules and passengers can bring/consume their own alcohol? Things may have changed due to Covid-19 and passengers having to wear masks onboard of course.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 10:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I think the website of the US Embassy in Budapest explains the current entry restrictions rather more clearly than IATA does:
[A traveller] coming from a “yellow” or “red” country will be subjected to health checks at the border and must be quarantined for 14 days. An exception to this is if they can credibly show two negative coronavirus tests 48 hours apart in the previous 5 days. A Hungarian citizen coming from a “yellow” country may be released from quarantine after the first negative coronavirus test.
The UK and US are "yellow" countries.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 10:17 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Andriyko
I believe there was a thread a while ago where BA cabin crew confirmed that it is not against any rules and passengers can bring/consume their own alcohol? Things may have changed due to Covid-19 and passengers having to wear masks onboard of course.
As far as I'm aware BA discourages it, but you can.

The regulation that matters I think it's that's it's illegal to be intoxicated on board, so could get confiscated.

Have a good trip OP.!
1Aturnleft likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 10:17 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Andriyko
I remember that thread, and I'm pretty sure it was CIHY
Old Jul 17, 2020, 11:11 am

It is BA policy that customers CAN consume their own alcohol onboard. Subject of course to not becoming disorderly as a result and following any instructions given by the crew.
Joshua1347 and ahmetdouas like this.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 1:43 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, UA Mileage Plus, bmi Diamond Club
After all, why would they provide cans of beer in the lounge if you can't drink them on board?

😉

(In the "old normal" of course)
Finavia, justin_krusty and joejet like this.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC - Gold
Well that was a rather hectic couple of hours.

Massive thanks to those who pointed out the quarantine on arrival. Deciding who can go where with no quarantine is much harder than I thought!

Trip to Budapest cancelled by BA holidays when we pointed out the quarantine on arrival.

Rebooked to Sofia as for some reason I thought Bulgaria was fine.

Then noticed the foreign office advice against travel there.

Cancelled because of that (otherwise we would have lost the £300) and rebooked to Madrid.

So here goes nothing. Who knows where we will end up.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 1:57 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by TheFlyingCyclist
Well that was a rather hectic couple of hours.

Massive thanks to those who pointed out the quarantine on arrival. Deciding who can go where with no quarantine is much harder than I thought!

Trip to Budapest cancelled by BA holidays when we pointed out the quarantine on arrival.

Rebooked to Sofia as for some reason I thought Bulgaria was fine.

Then noticed the foreign office advice against travel there.

Cancelled because of that (otherwise we would have lost the £300) and rebooked to Madrid.

So here goes nothing. Who knows where we will end up.
Glad you’ve managed to rescue something, fingers crossed for MAD!

A salutary lesson for everyone travelling in these times, check, check and then check again.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 4:57 pm

Just incase you find yourself on a IB operated codeshare to/from Madrid, their policy (as I found out the hard way and with true Iberia flair and hospitality) is that you cannot bring your own alcohol on board one of their aircraft for consumption during the flight. Expect the full passenger shaming experience if you do and get caught.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 5:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold/ All the AMEX Plat things
If you’re worried about consuming your own alcohol on board any flight, just disguise it in a aluminium water flask or any kind of bottle. Myself and the other half sometimes take a few miniatures onboard with us and add them to a coffee or a soft drink. As for people questioning your ability to go without for a few hours, ignore them. You’re on holiday, enjoy it!
Old Jul 18, 2020, 3:57 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Finavia
If you’re worried about consuming your own alcohol on board any flight, just disguise it in a aluminium water flask or any kind of bottle. Myself and the other half sometimes take a few miniatures onboard with us and add them to a coffee or a soft drink. As for people questioning your ability to go without for a few hours, ignore them. You’re on holiday, enjoy it!
I can’t help but picture someone with a clear water bottle Full of a dark liquor...

Anyway as above, I’m almost certain 30% of drinkers likely take some form of beverage up in the air, especially when no lounge access. I’m also fairly certain that those drinkers who do happen to have lounge access likely step on board with more alcohol in their system than the miniatures could add up to.

I can confirm that on most of my red-eyes my routine involves 6+ drinks and 4+ champagnes.

In the event you get caught however, I’d just say that it’s for your nerves of flying and you’ll likely get some extra attention too.

BA staff are not shy about plying you with alcohol, in any class. They know what we want and it means they don’t get called so often. Everybody wins.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 4:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
Just incase you find yourself on a IB operated codeshare to/from Madrid, their policy (as I found out the hard way and with true Iberia flair and hospitality) is that you cannot bring your own alcohol on board one of their aircraft for consumption during the flight. Expect the full passenger shaming experience if you do and get caught.
That's interesting. A couple of time I took some of the little bottles of sherry out of the T4S lounge and enjoyed them with some almonds on the A340 back to LHR. Never had any problems. Alas when they updated the lounge they got rid of the little bottles. And before this blows up I am not a serial lounge pilferer!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.