Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

When will BA's Premium soft product return to normal?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2020, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN

Looking ahead at an essential trip in September/October and considering BA in First. I've noticed multiple reports of awful soft product offerings in F as of late with the COVID-19 situation. Does anyone know if of when BA plans on offering full meals, LPGS champagne, and the like in First again? The offerings in First at present appear worse than the typical pre-COVID long-haul Economy meal. Thanks
Old Jul 15, 2020, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
I believe it’s a matter of government guidance for catering in the aviation sector - when that changes, things will revert back. There is likely an element of demand at play too - the lower it is, the less likely BA will be to revert back (when able).
Old Jul 15, 2020, 12:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Genius1
I believe it’s a matter of government guidance for catering in the aviation sector - when that changes, things will revert back. There is likely an element of demand at play too - the lower it is, the less likely BA will be to revert back (when able).
What is the government guidance for catering in the aviation sector? It seems some other airlines are operating a near normal premium catering service (even into the UK) - restaurants in the UK seem to be offering a regular service (with social distancing and enhanced hygiene) - so what do airlines need to do?
Old Jul 15, 2020, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Question

As First World problems go, this one takes the biscuit. 👎

Fly with a different airline, I suggest ... preferably ME3. But check the champagne offer before booking. FFS.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
As First World problems go, this one takes the biscuit. 👎

Fly with a different airline, I suggest ... preferably ME3. But check the champagne offer before booking. FFS.
What is wrong with discussing airline products on an airline forum? Especially where varying degrees of service already exist and some people are planning their travels for November and beyond. Ideal place to speculate here without being told it’s inappropriate..
Old Jul 15, 2020, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by sb1982
What is the government guidance for catering in the aviation sector? It seems some other airlines are operating a near normal premium catering service (even into the UK) - restaurants in the UK seem to be offering a regular service (with social distancing and enhanced hygiene) - so what do airlines need to do?
There is a discussion on this topic in this thread: COVID Friendly Catering Revealed By British Airways
Old Jul 15, 2020, 12:23 pm
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by sb1982
What is wrong with discussing airline products on an airline forum? Especially where varying degrees of service already exist and some people are planning their travels for November and beyond. Ideal place to speculate here without being told it’s inappropriate..
+1.
This is the exactly place to discuss First World Problems. Should Flyertalk be closed down because of the covid pandemic and we can all wallow in despair?
Times are tough, but people do need to move on.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by brewdog11
Looking ahead at an essential trip in September/October and considering BA in First. I've noticed multiple reports of awful soft product offerings in F as of late with the COVID-19 situation. Does anyone know if of when BA plans on offering full meals, LPGS champagne, and the like in First again? The offerings in First at present appear worse than the typical pre-COVID long-haul Economy meal. Thanks
I think that your question is in crystal ball territory for the time being. The health situation is very volatile, and to be honest, if you book your Sept/October trip now, the first question you'll likely face is more whether your flight will go at all or not rather than what you'll eat and drink. BA introduced a new food concept recently which is certainly a bit better than it was for months, but certainly still falls short of the usual standard on medium and long haul flights in particular. My sense is that in view of the competition, if long haul traffic resumes sufficiently for the whole concept of competition to make sense (ie if people are comfortable enough with health prospects that they would consider again flying different airlines based on price and comfort rather than simply try and do as few trips as possible spending as little time away from home and in transport as possible), then BA will improve its offering in J and F and maybe on longer CE routes (as others know, my reading is that this would be entirely compatible with current government recommendations). When we reach that point, however, is impossible to determine.

Personally, however, I imagine that the prepackaging preference will remain for a while, and that will mean individual wine bottles (almost invariably excluding more luxurious wines and Champagne which do not tend to go for that format) and spirit mignonettes (which again are rarely the most enjoyable of spirits let's face it).
Old Jul 15, 2020, 12:29 pm

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
OP: Good question that I for one am curious in, so, thank you for asking ✅
Old Jul 15, 2020, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Sorry, I’m in a foul mood having seen the prospects of yet another holiday getting screwed up. We would just be grateful to get anywhere we’ve booked, in those cheap BA Club seats.
Antigua - Thank you, anonymous Americans

My heart bleeds for the OP ... not. But, OK, a fair question from the Upper Echelons of BAFT. Have an acceptable trip.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by T8191
Sorry, I’m in a foul mood having seen the prospects of yet another holiday getting screwed up. We would just be grateful to get anywhere we’ve booked, in those cheap BA Club seats.]
A first-world problem, indeed.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 1:01 pm

I am going to Inverness in CE on Saturday- just receive this

Make sure you have all your travel essentials, like enough face masks for your journey and any food and drink you want to bring. Don’t forget to download our app too, so everything is as contact-free as possible. You can find further hints and tips below.

So assuming no food/drink offer.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 1:08 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
There is a discussion on this topic in this thread: COVID Friendly Catering Revealed By British Airways
And here:

Disappointed with BA32 F
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 1:08 pm
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Barnaby100
I am going to Inverness in CE on Saturday- just receive this

Make sure you have all your travel essentials, like enough face masks for your journey and any food and drink you want to bring. Don’t forget to download our app too, so everything is as contact-free as possible. You can find further hints and tips below.

So assuming no food/drink offer.
That sounds like a generic email irrespective of cabin flown. In CE you should still receive a bag full of goodies (ie a sandwich) and usual CE bar including champagne.
The glasses are the usual plastic cups though, so if you like champagne, I would recommend taking you own flute (I saw some on the Internet for around 50p each)- the bubbles will last a lot longer.
SecondGo and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 2:48 pm

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
Originally Posted by Jed
I would recommend taking you own flute..the bubbles will last a lot longer.
Drink quicker 😉
ENTP, af fp, Geordie405 and 7 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.