Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your COVID-19 travel experiences on BA: Q3 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your COVID-19 travel experiences on BA: Q3 2020

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2020, 3:54 pm

Thursday BSL - LHR

Basel airport was efficient. Staff all very friendly. I'm Bronze now so have no lounge access, so didn't get upset by the fact it's closed. Boarding was done back to front (you know what I mean!) and was fast. Plane was around 1/3 to 1/2 full at a rough guess. One of my best Y flights, as I got a bag of crisps, a small bag of snack pretzels, small bottle of water and a coffee. Plus a bit of hand sanitiser and a wipe. Plane was spotless. Leaving was done 6 rows at a time. People were masked and kept their distance in the main. Pleasant experience. I was HBO so quickly through to Heathrow security. e-gates shut, no queue to get to a border guy. Surprisingly, he wanted to see my covid form thingy and even took the time to make sure the name I entered matched the name on my passport. Through and onto the slow train to Paddington.

Sunday LGW - BSL (Easyjet, so feel free to skip!)

Train to Gatwick ran fine, dumped us all as usual to the (closed) S Terminal so had to take the shuttle to N. CWS has given no walkway guide for this airport so have to assume there isn't one I did what EJ call "Hands Free" where you pay £7 to check in hand luggage. I did this as full of liquids. This, apparently, gave me speedy boarding and I\'m not sure how the plane was boarded as I waltzed up to the front of the queue and boarded. For some reason, seat allocation kept people in clumps so there was movement after boarding complete. Had entire row to myself; would guess plane was 1/3 full. Very clean. No free food as they're still selling stuff. Announcement *not* to use wet wipes to clean armrests, table trays etc due (apparently) to a special cleaning they'd done to keep them virus free. Disembarking was done row at a time, self-controlled. People same as the BA flight - masked and well behaved. Pleasant experience again. Bag was quickly off. Basel is small, so cycled to/from the airport but public transport seems to be running as usual.

Edit: Thought I'd add why I had the change of airlines. BA flight to London was at a very good time for me and cost Fr.34. They spammed me offering an upgrade to CE for Fr.98 which I ignored. Only BA flights back to Basel are early morning, which I didn't want. Easyjet flight was a perfect time for me Sunday evening, even if it did cost £100 (the BA Monday morning flight was the same).

Last edited by adrianlondon; Jul 27, 2020 at 3:52 am Reason: Pricing info
Old Jul 27, 2020, 12:57 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BAEC
Flew LHR-DUS in CE on Thursday afternoon and back in ET last night.

The flight out to Dusseldorf was fairly light (around 60 passengers on a quick count) but seemed marginally busier on the return. Boarding was very efficient on both legs, filling from the back.

Disembarkation was pretty good too with 4 rows at a time allowed to get up and go. I think they could have done with slowing that down a little to give people enough time to get up before the next group was called.

On the DUS-LHR flight one row seemed to have three solo passengers seated together, despite space being available for better social distancing - particularly towards the back. Passengers were asked to stay in their booked seats for take off but to feel free to move afterwards. All in all, a good flight with everyone co-operating with all the new requirements.

BA staff at check in at Dusseldorf were asking everyone if they had filled in the locator form. A QR code was posted up on the check in protective screen for anyone needing to get the form. Dusseldorf airport was fairly quiet airside. Duty free, two food outlets and a bookstore open at the C gates used for non-schengen flights. Adherence to social distancing within Dusseldorf airport was patchy, but I thought that was true of the city as a whole.

E-gates open on arrival at LHR.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 1:06 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by FolkestoneJack
Flew LHR-DUS in CE on Thursday afternoon and back in ET last night.
Many thanks for that contribution, and welcome to the BA forum here on Flyertalk FolkestoneJack. I hope you enjoyed your time in Germany.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 1:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Dimond Amb
DUB – LCY July 20th 08:40

LHR – DUB July 22nd 17:35

DUB – LCY

The airport wasn’t all that quiet, or at least not as quiet as I had expected. Fast Track security lane was open, but as sometimes happens at DUB, once you are beyond the screen it was just merging you in to the front of a regular security line, this always leads to some annoyed looks from whomever is at the front of said line as they are asked to wait for you to go first. Nonetheless I was through in less than 5 min event free.

The T1 lounge was closed, and I assumed that the T2 lounges were also closed, so didn’t take a walk over to find out. Most shops in the terminal were open and I had breakfast at the Marquete. You can now order via app using a QR code on the table, not that I found this out until I had my food.

Boarding was from the 100 gates (regulars will know that its normally 204 for LHR and somewhere in the ‘tent’ for LCY). This is due to some construction work going on at the 200 gates. The apron was close to empty, so much so that they had decided to allocate gates to helicopters as well as planes, so I was able to watch a passenger board presumably his helicopter at a 200 gate before it flew at about 20ft high following the taxi way.

Boarding was by row from the back – if traveling ET its always worth booking the back row in to LCY, as steps will be put at the back and front doors when you arrive, meaning that your often away before row 1 and often with very few people sitting nearby.

There were just around 30 passengers on board by my count.

It turns out that this was the first DUB – LCY flight since lockdown. The crew announced that we needed to complete the UK GOV arrives locator form, but when I went on the website it said that this isn’t needed for CTA arrivals. When walking through the baggage hall at LCY border force were asking people if they had been in the ROI for 14 days or more, but were not asking for completed forms.

LHR – DUB

I was originally booked on the afternoon flight home (17:30 ish) but this was cancelled and I was moved to the 08:30 the next day. There isn’t much to add to the LHR experience as its pretty well documented here.

On the flight the crew handed out the Irish passenger locator forms to CE whilst on the ground (not sure if this happened in ET), and also did pre-flight drinks, a rarity on this route.

The morning flights to DUB are normally mostly full with people connecting from transatlantic flights and as such the flight had very few passengers, around 6 or so in CE.

DUB has plenty of desks set up to complete arrivals forms, and once you hand them in at passport controls the rest of the experience is seamless. In theory the Irish government will call you a few times over the next 14 days to confirm that you are self-isolating, I haven’t yet had a call and from what I read very few people have.

One final thing to note is that flight times seem to be much shorter right now. It’s not unusual to spend 20 min taxing at DUB or LHR, and as much time can also be spent waiting to land. Now, you are in the air pretty much at the predicted time, and my 08:40 from DUB – LCY saw me arrive at Bank station by 10:15!
Old Jul 28, 2020, 3:41 am

I flew NCL - LHR yesterday. Boarding started very early and was on a whenever you get to the gate basis rather than by rows as people were arriving in dribs and drabs. About 50 passengers on board.

The economy hygiene and snack packs were given out by the crew, who all seemed very relaxed about being back in the air. That was a nice contrast to the slightly post-apocalyptic atmosphere in the airside departures area at NCL. As others have said though, the amount of plastic being used for the handouts feels a bit wrong, although understandable. We arrived 20 minutes early and disembarked by row numbers.

Today I am off to AMS. The First Wing was deserted, a very easy breeze through check in and security with plenty of time for Amsterdam restaurant tips from the lady operating the trays. And GF feels like a first class lounge now. Very calm and civilised, ordering was easy and the waiter service is swift and friendly. In fact all of the BA staff I have interacted with over the past 24 hours have been very welcoming.

Personally I have no concerns about travelling now with the various measures in place and low loads but I can imagine the staff are a real plus for reassuring those who might be more worried.

And maybe it's time for a new covid celebrity spotting thread. I'll pitch Heston Blumenthal in GF to get things going 😊
Old Jul 28, 2020, 4:57 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Johnnieboy
I flew NCL - LHR yesterday. Boarding started very early and was on a whenever you get to the gate basis rather than by rows as people were arriving in dribs and drabs. About 50 passengers on board.
One slightly interesting thing about NCL is that (a) it's a Jet2 hub now, 80% of passengers are / were for their services and (b) unlike some other regioinal airports it has many shops / bars open, including Duty Free, WH Smith and Boots, Aerospa, 1 coffee shop, 2 bars and a fashion shop. Landside is only Greggs but that's probably all anyone would "need" anyway.
crazyarmadillo and alex67500 like this.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 9:19 am

Yes there were a few outlets open at NCL yesterday, not many passengers around though. I gather a lot fewer than were booked had turned up for the Malaga flight that left earlier in the day
Old Jul 28, 2020, 9:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Gold, IHG Platinum
Today I am off to AMS. The First Wing was deserted, a very easy breeze through check in and security with plenty of time for Amsterdam restaurant tips from the lady operating the trays. And GF feels like a first class lounge now. Very calm and civilised, ordering was easy and the waiter service is swift and friendly. In fact all of the BA staff I have interacted with over the past 24 hours have been very welcoming.
Thanks for the report on the First Wing - flying to AMS on Thursday, good to know FW security is back in action. How is AMS?
Old Jul 28, 2020, 9:52 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Had a decent experience overall... except for the 787, that was odd.

LHR running just fine except for slightly longer queues than usual through the FW. Most shops were open so that was nice, got a gift for mom
ZRH was also running mostly fine except for some of the lounges being closed, so I wish I had looked at loungebuddy before anything else! Terminal E seems to be mostly unused.

The 787 exit row seats in Y are torture devices for someone like me (I'm 6'4 with reasonably wide shoulders/hips). I thought I had reserved a WTP seat, but on the day it switched me back to a regular seat, which I changed to an exit row seat. Curiously, the WTP section was still in use for Euro Traveller passengers. I should've asked if a seat was empty up there all things considered, but it was annoying. Luckily not a very long flight.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by Mawalt
Thanks for the report on the First Wing - flying to AMS on Thursday, good to know FW security is back in action. How is AMS?
Not all of the immigration halls were open at AMS yesterday and the egates were closed at the time I arrived. But nevertheless I was straight through passport control without a word said (the American chap at the booth next to me had a bit of a harder time and was.asked to produce proof he hadn't been in the US over the past 14 days). The bags didn't take too long to hit belt either by AMS standards.

You'll need a mask if you're taking the train into the city but once there it feels almost like normal.
crazyarmadillo and Mawalt like this.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 3:51 am

Not all of the immigration halls were open at AMS yesterday and the egates were closed at the time I arrived. But nevertheless I was straight through passport control without a word said (the American chap at the booth next to me had a bit of a harder time and was.asked to produce proof he hadn't been in the US over the past 14 days). The bags didn't take too long to hit belt either by AMS standards. You'll need a mask if you're taking the train into the city but once there it feels almost like normal.
Good to know, thanks. My wife and I are travelling with hand luggage only because luggage collection on this route (either way) always seems to be an issue.

Any idea if the AMS lounge is still re-opening on the 3rd August?
Old Jul 29, 2020, 9:49 am

Programs: BA Gold

maybe covid-free, but not chocolate crumb free!
ermis177 likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 10:20 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Good to know, thanks. My wife and I are travelling with hand luggage only because luggage collection on this route (either way) always seems to be an issue.

Any idea if the AMS lounge is still re-opening on the 3rd August?
I'm not really sure re your AMS lounge question and no doubt another FT'r with more knowledge about this may post. However, may I take this opportunity to welcome you to Flyertalk and here on the BA Board Mawalt and wishing you and your wife a pleasant flight (as can be in the coronavirus world)

Reports are always very welcome and appreciated, even a few lines, if you get the chance to do so

Pete
Old Jul 29, 2020, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by PETER01
I'm not really sure re your AMS lounge question and no doubt another FT'r with more knowledge about this may post. However, may I take this opportunity to welcome you to Flyertalk and here on the BA Board Mawalt and wishing you and your wife a pleasant flight (as can be in the coronavirus world)

Reports are always very welcome and appreciated, even a few lines, if you get the chance to do so

Pete
Thanks for the welcome, Pete. Long time lurker, first time poster!

Happy to report, I am especially looking forward to see what FW + Flounge experience is going to be like, so might take a few pics too! From what I can see from posts here, seems almost back to norm but better!
PETER01 likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 10:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Thanks for the welcome, Pete. Long time lurker, first time poster!

Happy to report, I am especially looking forward to see what FW + Flounge experience is going to be like, so might take a few pics too! From what I can see from posts here, seems almost back to norm but better!
Always good to see lurkers joining and posting their experiences (members too!), the more the merrier!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.