Wiki Posts
Search

QR and JL moving to T5 [w/c 27 July 2020]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2020, 7:57 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BA038_Passenger
Interesting. I’m guessing I wouldn’t be admitted to the CCR even though I have a card when departing T5 with QR?
Lounge eligibility rules for a CCR card are you can use it when on any oneworld carrier.

If you have a guest they are supposed to be on BA - not sure how rigorously that part would be enforced.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 4:33 pm

Programs: BAEC
JAL moving to T5 later this month too.

Do BA want to invite Virgin while they’re at it?
SKRan likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 3:48 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
JAL are one world so it makes complete sense. BA are no longer big enough to warrant their own dedicated terminal and won’t be for some time
orbitmic and GumshoeW12 like this.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 3:58 am

Also, as with AA, BA and JL have a joint business on routes between Europe and Japan, so are effectively already considered one airline at Heathrow. There have been discussions about co-location for many years.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 4:37 am

Programs: Confirmed
Originally Posted by Confus
Also, as with AA, BA and JL have a joint business on routes between Europe and Japan, so are effectively already considered one airline at Heathrow. There have been discussions about co-location for many years.
Transatlantic JB includes AY and IB.
Japan JB includes AY as well.
China JB with CZ.
There is also a UK-Doha and Adelaide, Auckland, Canberra, Goa, Hanoi, Jakarta, Manila, Maputo, Melbourne, Pattaya, Penang, Perth, Phuket and Sohar JB with QR.

All considered a big airline? You’ll need a T5 extension.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by SKRan
All considered a big airline? You’ll need a T5 extension.
Well, not for the moment, you won't, and probably not for several months to come either. Of course, when traffic is back to normal it won't be doable to keep everyone in T5 (not even BA alone would have entirely fitted in T5 six months ago!), but you are not going to sub-optimally run half empty or three quarter empty terminals for months just because you won't be able to leave them in forever. That wouldn't be good management, and that would result in higher costs for HAL, for airlines and ultimately for passengers.

All the airlines that you mention (and more) will fit together in T5 now, they will fit together in T5 for the IATA winter season, and quite frankly, right now, there is a pretty good chance that they may also fit in T5 for S21 and W22. Moving them to the same terminal for now makes entire sense.
nivsy and GumshoeW12 like this.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 6:40 am

But I can’t see this plan working for S21 onwards. At some point the 80/20 rule will come back and when it does, BA will need the whole of T5 again if they want to protect their slots.

Is there any news on whether the rule will come back for W20?
Old Jul 14, 2020, 7:06 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by BAeuro
Is there any news on whether the rule will come back for W20?
Not officially yet, but it won't.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 7:16 am

Programs: BAEC, VS Flying Club
I can’t see any need for the 80/20 rule until, at the very least, the US opens up again and the UK drops all self-isolation on arrival requirements and FCO travel advisories.

Which realistically won’t be this year and could be much longer if there turns out to be a second wave and/or business travel fails to pick up to any great extent, which seems entirely possible.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 7:32 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by GumshoeW12
I can’t see any need for the 80/20 rule until, at the very least, the US opens up again and the UK drops all self-isolation on arrival requirements and FCO travel advisories.

Which realistically won’t be this year and could be much longer if there turns out to be a second wave and/or business travel fails to pick up to any great extent, which seems entirely possible.
I hope you'll pardon the slight step into OMNI territory but the second wave, from a worldwide standpoint, is happening now. The curve of new cases has been relatively flat from late April to early June but new cases are flaring everywhere in the world (even though Europe seems to be spared, for now -- we'll see if opening the borders was a good idea in about 3-4 weeks). And that's new cases, meaning that people were still being infected at the same rate, not a lower one.
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 12:16 pm

Now confirmed that Vueling will fly from T5 when they resume LHR flights in September.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 4:13 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by BAeuro
Now confirmed that Vueling will fly from T5 when they resume LHR flights in September.
They really are letting anyone in. We may have to form a rearguard, arm ourselves with Champagne bottles and prepare to defend the South Lounge complex. 😁
dcmike, RoyalSwazi and EDIwanderer like this.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 2:33 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Reports online indicate QR will move ops to T5 on Monday (27 July), with JL following on Wednesday (29 July)

source: https://londonairtravel.com/2020/07/...hr-terminal-5/
BAeuro likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Prospero
Reports online indicate QR will move ops to T5 on Monday (27 July), with JL following on Wednesday (29 July)

source: https://londonairtravel.com/2020/07/...hr-terminal-5/
And more OW carriers will be coming in August I believe.

How T5 has changed.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 8:54 pm

Yes, that's what I have been hearing for a while now. Will it be all of them?

rb211.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.