Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Query on friends and family aspect of the Household Account

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2020, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Hi. Apologies if there is an answer to this elsewhere on the board but I couldn’t see a thread on this particular point.

I want to share more than 27k avios with my parents as I have loads. They want to use their own Amex 241 voucher but need more miles ASAP for club or first. If I added them to my household account as friends and family, could they access my miles balance but book with their own voucher? I have spare Amex vouchers but as I can’t travel with them they are no use here.

I can’t work out if I can only share the miles if I am the person making the booking on their behalf ruling out their voucher use...Maybe the only option is to buy them miles - it just seems poor value and irritating when I have them to spare.

Thanks
Old Jul 11, 2020, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Yes anyone can book using the household pool of Avios. Lots of decent advice in the main Household thread:

Your guide to Household Accounts
Old Jul 11, 2020, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
I think mikeyfly assumed that you were adding your parents to your account and not merely as friends and family.

If you add your parents to your household account then the avios for a redemption will be drawn from the avios balances of all the members of the household account. Just adding your parents as friends and family merely allows you to redeem your avios for them -- you cannot pool your avios with them and they cannot access the household pool of avios.
From the Guide:
Note: Avios cannot not be pooled with anyone who is added to your Family and Friends list, you can only share Avios in this way with individuals who live at the same address as you and are part of your Household Account.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the responses. I did the friends thing and then realised that wouldn’t work.

If I added them as full members to my HHA is there any way they could draw on my pool to use in relation to their own 241 or is there just no loophole here.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by belsize77
Thanks so much for the responses. I did the friends thing and then realised that wouldn’t work.

If I added them as full members to my HHA is there any way they could draw on my pool to use in relation to their own 241 or is there just no loophole here.
If you add them as members of your HHA then they can spend any or all of the avios in your HHA. The avios for a redemption they make as members of your HHA will be drawn in a proportional amount from the avios belonging to each member in the HHA.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 11:29 am

Programs: BA Silver
There's also a way to ensure all their Avios are used up (not proportionally reduced):

For example, they have 80k Avios and need 100k for a redemption. You have 240k. A 100k redemption by any party to the HHA will be paid proportionately - 75k from you and 25k from them - which will leave the HHA with the same number of Avios (220k), but with 55k in their account and 165k in yours.

If you move 220k Avios to another account (Iberia or Aer Lingus) prior to the redemption, all their 80k Avios and all your 20k Avios will be taken. At that point you can (potentially dissolve the HHA and) move your Avios back to BA. (Note that there are time restrictions on creation and dissolution of HHAs.)
Old Jul 11, 2020, 11:29 am

Programs: Executive Club Silver, Kestrelflyer Silver, FlyingBlue & Expedia+
Ultimatley members of the Household account will be able to pool avios for redemptions, etc.

Anyone from the friends and family section the holder of the account which adds them will be able to only spend their avios on them, nothing else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.