Wiki Posts
Search

BA stock price (IAG)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2020, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Ba gold, gha black
Thankyou all for your replies

im Mid 40s and have a hands on approach to managing my portfolio. Im long BA around 450 and its been painful to hold while you see stocks that perform well whatever the situation, like Amazon/Apple, so even though i’m diversified, it doesn’t pay just to sit on losses. I love BA, i wish the government personally would do more for the aviation industry. From a stock investor as well as a frequent flyer, the Union situation does muddy the stock i feel but i understand workers need looking after as best as possible in these awful times.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by LondonElite
OP, you may have access to this as well, but the lastest two research reports I have have a 12M target price of 250p (Goldman Sachs, 7 May) and 370p (Credit Suisse, 11 May). Make of that what you will.
One of those is oft purported by the press to only work for itself. And one is reported by FT to be working for IAG on a rights issue- so some might argue it might be very unlikely to be independent minded opinion. The Bloomberg on research accuracy suggests UBS, HSBC or Reburn research might be better.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 2:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Avis President
Oh God I wish I had some courage when it comes to investment...

Ok, who knows what Tesla's going to do...but Netflix and Amazon were obvious plays and could have been bought on the dip...

What else were people going to do during the lockdown for entertainment and shopping...??

That's why I have a comfortable retirement, but with J being just the occasional treat coupled with a stay at an Ibis when I get there...rather than bouncing around the world in F and staying at fancy hotels and resorts...

As for BA's share price...?? Who knows, but for what its worth (& that's not much) I think the vaccine is a red herring...since the virus might mutate and they may or may not discover something that works within 6 months.

After that it'll take years to roll out worldwide and not everyone (including me) is going to want to try out a drug that has been rammed through short cut testing procedures. I'm not an anti vax type, but really...?? Herd immunity will take a decade to achieve.

Of course there's reality...and then there's the stock market. No doubt if a an effective vaccine was announced tomorrow, BA's share price would double.

I don't think there's going to be a second wave in the USA, Brazil etc...just one long endless first wave. As for Europe...we'll play an endless game of "Whack a Mole" dealing with localised flare ups and consequent localised lock downs.

Hardly an investment positive scenario as the summer ends and winter with the flu season starts cooking in the Northern Hemisphere.

Then there's Brexit...a disaster in itself of catastrophic proportions, with Johnson and his crew about to blame Corona for the economic consequences of this appalling folly...

Should have bought Amazon though...obvious now...

Chris
Tafflyer likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 3:00 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by copenhagenBA

im Mid 40s and have a hands on approach to managing my portfolio. Im long BA around 450 and its been painful to hold while you see stocks that perform well whatever the situation, like Amazon/Apple, so even though i’m diversified, it doesn’t pay just to sit on losses. I love BA, i wish the government personally would do more for the aviation industry. From a stock investor as well as a frequent flyer, the Union situation does muddy the stock i feel but i understand workers need looking after as best as possible in these awful times.
I'm with you on the 'sitting on losses' issue. If you have £100K of IAG stock that was worth £220K 6 months ago, there is no point in worrying about the past. You now have an asset worth £100K and the the question is, is that asset going to appreciate, remain at the same level or depreciate further? You then need to look at what else you could invest that money in which might appreciate more quickly than where it is currently.
LCY8737, littlefish and Ldnn1 like this.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 4:31 pm

Programs: BAEC

Ok. So I personally think you are more than okay. I thought you were approaching 65 or maybe more. Or possibly in a challenging position that meant you had to pull out.

But no, you’re fine. Hold tight. This question you’ve posed is the same question for pretty much all stocks, no one really knows but ultimately we are the bottom of the market. In 3-9 years time the market will be at its prime again. I was told there’s a recession every 9 years.

Forget Tesla, that’s a wild, one off stock, even Musk thinks it’s always overpriced. It’s risen by $1000, in 3-6 months, that is outrageous. But at the same time the quicker he hits the output targets, the quicker the price rises.

I’m a little jealous as I wish I’d brought at less than £80. It always remind me of a story when I visited a BestBuy 20 years ago and a sales guy told me about a little company called Apple who were offering an awesome integrated DVD/Computer system. Now they are a Trillion dollar company... The lesson I learnt is buy and sit.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 4:34 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Chris_G
Should have bought Amazon though...obvious now...
I agree with you, it's obvious with hindsight. I knew a guy who owned some founder's stock in Intel which he acquired for next to nothing. He sold it for $40,000 and built a lovely pool at his house in Texas. Fast forward a decade and a half and he could have sold it for a 7 figure sum. He was dealing with that quite well though and the pool was very nice
Old Jul 7, 2020, 10:47 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by golfmad
I agree with you, it's obvious with hindsight. I knew a guy who owned some founder's stock in Intel which he acquired for next to nothing. He sold it for $40,000 and built a lovely pool at his house in Texas. Fast forward a decade and a half and he could have sold it for a 7 figure sum. He was dealing with that quite well though and the pool was very nice
HA! Reminds me of my next door neighbor back up in Scotland in the mid 70s. He got a serious promotion from “a little more than just a minion” to top level management position. The board felt that someone in such a senior position should have shares in the company, so he was granted some options that he immediately exercised and bought himself a caravan with the proceeds. A few months later his company was bought out by another company and based on the number of shares that he had been granted, had he still held them, would have made him an instant millionaire. We always referred to that caravan as the million pound caravan!
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 12:32 am
Suspended

Programs: AV, AA, BA, CM, UA, Hertz, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
HA! Reminds me of my next door neighbor back up in Scotland in the mid 70s. He got a serious promotion from “a little more than just a minion” to top level management position. The board felt that someone in such a senior position should have shares in the company, so he was granted some options that he immediately exercised and bought himself a caravan with the proceeds. A few months later his company was bought out by another company and based on the number of shares that he had been granted, had he still held them, would have made him an instant millionaire. We always referred to that caravan as the million pound caravan!
Senors I am not sure about IAG. Most likely it is a better bet than LX which is heading the same way as Swissair in 2001 lol!

But, it is not the best one in this sector. I am long on FR. Si mira aqui.... NYSE: RYAAY, exactamente! I know this is heresy on this board. But I bought two years ago and even NOW the price is higher than when I bought... surely the only major aviation stock to be worth more now than then. More stock equity even with almost all planes grounded! LOL!
When operations resume at higher level and other EU airlines fail, Senor O Leary is correct that FR will clean up, with ultra low CASM and a unique ability to "weather the storm" with various tactics. Also his service may be the only option for many second-tier EU cities after the CO-pocalypse has triggered failure of many medium-sized airlines. For example SN. The BA board may also experience retrenchment as the services decline and fewer people use or care about EC status.

As for BA especifically I hate LHR T5 but I am sad that LGW appears in terminal decline. I prefer using LGW for many years now and BA used to fly to the most fun places in Europe from LGW like AGP and NAP and I think even SKG. I like BA LGW crews they are nice and friendly not stiffupperlip like some LHR crews.
skipness1E likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 2:24 am

If it softens the blow, you (hopefully) will have participated in the last few years of dividends, which would have returned a significant chunk of your initial investment
Old Jul 8, 2020, 3:23 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by golfmad
I mate of mine had some Bitcoin which he bought for next to nothing. It had gone up to about £40k when he decided to sell - only to find he'd lost his wallet password. He never did tell his wife...

I think somebody from ITV must have overheard us talking about it as the exact storyline was in Coronation Street about 6 months later
Old Jul 8, 2020, 4:00 am

Think: why did you invest in BA?

Was it for the dividend, was it expecting growth, was it because they owned quite a few aircraft, so had assets? Was it because of their dominant position at LHR? Was it because you fancied an airline stock, and BA was the lucky choice?

Now, think the same things, as if you were still thinking of investing in BA.

Dividend gone, growth prospects gone (just as BA invests in Club Suite), aircraft owned include the 747s, which are now basically scrap. Dominant at LHR remains, but they may lose out to others in Gatwick so as to hold onto LHR slots. There are other airlines stocks - maybe some have better prospects in this new environment?

Personally, I like Ryanair as an investment. Own their aircraft and operate at the basement level. People may not want to fly business long-haul to exotic countries so much, but I am sure they'll be willing to risk cheap weekends away. And some people are tied to holiday property easily accessed by LoCo airlines - is it 450,000 Brits have a holiday home in Spain?

Have I got, or do I plan to have any airline shares - not at the moment. Too much uncertainty not yet priced in. And while airlines might have lots of "assets" - just what are they worth if the entire industry has more cash going out every day than coming in? And no end in sight.
copenhagenBA likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 2:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Ba gold, gha black
Another terrible day for IAG stock after announcing Friday they may raise cash by issuing new shares. Getting somewhat concerned whether they might need a bailout at some point now.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 2:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Eurostar CB, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President Circle
Another terrible day for IAG stock after announcing Friday they may raise cash by issuing new shares. Getting somewhat concerned whether they might need a bailout at some point now.
EasyJet is down by same amount. I'd think today's move is more down to the Spain restrictions and the implied risks to any travel plans for the near future.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 2:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
I'm normally a semi-passive "chuck it in a fund" kinda guy - but genuinely thinking of buying some; still high risk but surely all priced in by now. The upside potential seems good in the medium to long term...
Old Jul 27, 2020, 3:00 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Bought in at 1.80 - with hope It will bounce back to 2.20 ish in the next few weeks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.