Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Recall Staff from 26 Jun [the BA staff/unions/redundancies thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Recall Staff from 26 Jun [the BA staff/unions/redundancies thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2020, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by jonas123
2 questions:

1. anyone know what the proportion of the fleet will be ex-EF/WW vs MF now post all the redundancies?

2. is there any way back in for crew who took VR but now may think the deal is ok?
1. overall I believe 3200 Crew across the fleets have taken VR, not sure about the split. There also some cases of CR mainly those who have been offered a demoted role and chose not to continue and there may be more at the end of the month for those who don’t wish to take the altered contract.

2. There’s (almost) no way back in. Once you are gone you are gone. The only way back in is if they have opted to go into a “Talent Pool” and they may be considered if more Crew are required
Old Sep 19, 2020, 11:25 pm

There have been instances of some SCCM who were originally advised there wasn't a role available for them appealing their redundancies on the basis that their operational dashboard which formed a significant part of the selection process wasn't tracking information properly and was scoring them lower in the selection process than it should have been. I know of 3 instances amongst personal friends or friends of friends who have had their redundancies overturned and offered their positions back upon appeal.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 3:01 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
There have been instances of some SCCM who were originally advised there wasn't a role available for them appealing their redundancies on the basis that their operational dashboard which formed a significant part of the selection process wasn't tracking information properly and was scoring them lower in the selection process than it should have been. I know of 3 instances amongst personal friends or friends of friends who have had their redundancies overturned and offered their positions back upon appeal.
That’s good.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 6:30 am

So here is a question now that BA have stated they plan to cut the schedule even more for November / December and likely same 1Q 2021 so fewer flights how does that affect cabin crew given a percentage of salary is based on whether they fly or not and if a roster by chance has zero flights and that could maybe happen for some once everyone is off of furlough then what, basic only ?

Just over last months hear all this stuff about being x% worse off and now some guarantee of 85% of current income but if limited number of flights then what , still a guaranteed 85% of income before COVID or proposed changes came about even with limited number flights.

Still cannot get over how aviation includes per diem as part of OTE but nothing is surprising
Silver Fox likes this.

Last edited by Bs65; Sep 20, 2020 at 6:45 am
Old Sep 20, 2020, 5:12 pm

So MFU’s vote has just closed. Fingers crossed for the sake of sanity and for closure that members have voted for the agreement in principle.

Despite these positive movements, BASSA and MFU continue to retweet BA Betrayal rubbish even earlier this evening and the BA Betrayal Twitter continues to churn out its lose slots verbal diarrhoea. Unite and these 2 sub-branches no matter what deals they’ve secured - they should be ashamed of themselves for being accomplices in exacerbating anxiety, stress and emotions amongst already vulnerable humans who’s livelihoods were on the line. I actually credit more of it BA softening and sort of feel towards the end of it BA just wanted to “get on with things” so they can restructure and continue attempting to stop the balance sheet bleeding. I genuinely do not believe that this was Unite’s negotiating genius that’s achieved this though I’m sure they’ll leech onto anything to manipulate and cover up their pitfalls in their “strategy”.

From BASSA’s end essentially they said nothing and did nothing till thousands of heartbroken crew felt forced to take VR after which almost as if by magic a deal is plucked out of thin air! From MFU’s end they did pretty much the same too. OH emailed MFU (not in an angry way but in a structured professional manner) asking many times for further clarity and explanation to only be ignored or be met with vague replies that were often grammatically incorrect. They even promised a personal call with the leverage campaign lead (something they suggested, OH didn’t ask) in order to better help her understand the rationale behind it. Guess what? No call nothing despite politely chasing it up on more then one occasion! Go figure.

All in all, great BA staff have suffered as the pawns of Len McCluskey’s and Unite’s bloated ego. So to those that say Union bashing should stop, it shouldn’t. It should continue until they withdraw a campaign with immediate effect that threatens more livelihoods. True it would be nice for more competition at LHR and for say someone like VS to truly be able to implement their grand plans they revealed when COVID-19 wasn’t a thing. But now is not the time for it and I sincerely hope that members of both these branches realise that they need to move away from the Unite banner and I hope the new single fleet LHR can develop a strong Union that actually works for them in a mature, constructive manner. I doubt that’ll happen because I’m sure Unite will have other dirty tricks up their sleeve to prevent anything like that happening and will ensure it remains firmly within Unite, but hey ho, we can all hope.

Fingers crossed tomorrow closes the LHR cabin crew saga and paves a way forward for everyone. If it wasn’t clear enough on day 1, it surely is clear now that even an airline the size and profitability of BA is quite literally grounded with literally 0 signs of optimism (especially as this so-called 2nd wave is beckoning us) in the medium term! I sincerely hope our beloved industry starts recovering very soon!

Last edited by AirbusA350; Sep 20, 2020 at 5:36 pm
Old Sep 20, 2020, 5:39 pm

Here are the BASSA exit polls:

It'll be interesting to see the MFU poll results as/when they're released.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 11:17 pm

Programs: GGL
Old Sep 21, 2020, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by Mixbury
That does seem high, what was the number pre-redundacies?
Old Sep 21, 2020, 2:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I think WW and EF totalled around 8200 previously, though I have no idea how many were part of BASSA.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 2:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by AirbusA350
)
All in all, great BA staff have suffered as the pawns of Len McCluskey’s and Unite’s bloated ego. So to those that say Union bashing should stop, it shouldn’t.
Yes and no. Agree about McCluskey, but union bashing no. So you would agree with bashing BALPA?

Do it on a case by case basis.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 3:09 am

Originally Posted by Grace B
Yes and no. Agree about McCluskey, but union bashing no. So you would agree with bashing BALPA?

Do it on a case by case basis.
Of course wouldn’t bash BALPA (though there were some grumbles about the way that their negotiations were handled, alas at least they did negotiate from day 1).

I’m not an anti-unionist. Hence why in the latter parts of my post I have suggested that a new non-Unite Union for the new single LHR fleet would likely serve cabin crew interests better than the circus that’s prevailed here!
Grace B likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by Saladman
I think WW and EF totalled around 8200 previously, though I have no idea how many were part of BASSA.
Still claiming "over 8000" on their website. But they were never good with numbers, so no surprise.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 3:44 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Remember a lot are part time, so if using a ‘whole head’ figure, it would be a lot less.
jonas123 likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 3:45 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by Littlegirl
Remember a lot are part time, so if using a ‘whole head’ figure, it would be a lot less.
But would they still get a full vote in a ballot?
Old Sep 21, 2020, 4:54 am

So OH informed me that MF have voted 97% in favour of the agreement in principle. So hopefully there’s finally a way forward!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.