Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Recall Staff from 26 Jun [the BA staff/unions/redundancies thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Recall Staff from 26 Jun [the BA staff/unions/redundancies thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2020, 10:44 pm

So reported in the press and on Unite twitter feed that the union is going for a ballot on stike action over the October Half term holiday. Not sure what that will achieve as doubt many people will still be wanting to travel but guess it fits the unions agenda to penalise BA along with the slot removal campaign which if successful may result in even more redundancies for their membership.
AirbusA350 likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 12:15 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Can I help you
BA have tried to screw us out of some of our rightful redundancy pay and all of us that have signed since the 14th August have been put on hold by the solicitors.
CIHY, knowing you took VR from what you’ve written, were you advised what your absolute payment would be before you signed, or was it expressed as a percentage of salary?

If the latter, presumably BA are now trying to claim your salary was lower than you believe it was with add-ins. Is this therefore likely to be the same for those who ended up with compulsory redundancy?
Old Aug 21, 2020, 12:38 am

Quotes have been in absolute £ terms.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by BAeuro
It was a tough day for a lot of pilots today with many being made redundant. Thoughts go out to them all, as they fly us safely day in day out!

As for all other areas of BA, I hope you get the outcome you want. I am unsure of all the dates but good luck for whenever they reach a decision.
BA moves the goal posts again. Instead of 270 pilots being made redundant, it is now 350.
I wish them and all the employees luck and a good future. This BA is really is not the airline to work for anymore.
wrp96 and James91 like this.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 1:41 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Looking at the BABetrayal website and twitter, the union seems to be trying to get the government to further cripple BA, rather than do some actual negotiating with the airline. Unfortunately the horse has bolted.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 1:52 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by delores
BA moves the goal posts again. Instead of 270 pilots being made redundant, it is now 350.
I wish them and all the employees luck and a good future. This BA is really is not the airline to work for anymore.
Was the 270 an absolute figure, I thought that was an estimate? Whilst every job loss is sad, percentage wise 350 (if that actually is the true figure and not an estimate) is in the same ballpark given there are approximately 4300 pilots. Where have you seen this figure?
Old Aug 21, 2020, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by SW7London
Are they deliberately trying to screw employees or is this just the usual gross incompetence from Alex and team?
I firmly believe that the simple answer is a bit of both. The estimate of how many pilots will be made CR is a bit of incompetence, if being unable to predict with any accuracy the fleet size required next year is incompetence. The malice though is evident too. Part of the pilot's monthly regular remuneration is TAFB or Time Away From Base pay - its about £3.30 an hour. As it is part of the regular remuneration it should be included in the calculation for PILON, and it has been. Only thing is the period used to calculate it has been decided upon by BA to be an average for the months of APR - JUN 2020, the period when virtually no flying was done and hence no TAFB earned. It is, at best, a .... trick.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
It’s similar for cabin crew Waterhorse, BA told us that CFP (Contractual Flying Pay) was included in our 3 weeks PILON amount, they have now admitted that it is not but are refusing to pay it hence why the solicitors have stopped actioning and VR contacts since the 14th August, all we want is to leave this dreadful company with what was promised.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 2:40 am

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
Originally Posted by Bs65
So reported in the press and on Unite twitter feed that the union is going for a ballot on stike action over the October Half term holiday. Not sure what that will achieve as doubt many people will still be wanting to travel but guess it fits the unions agenda to penalise BA along with the slot removal campaign which if successful may result in even more redundancies for their membership.
Turkey's voting for christmas comes to mind.

If staff have not accepted the new terms does that mean that they could just be let go anyway and in theory cannot even be balloted?
Old Aug 21, 2020, 3:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Which parts of the company are going to be balloted and how will Unite know who is entitled to vote?

More sabre rattling I fear
Old Aug 21, 2020, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by Agent69
Which parts of the company are going to be balloted and how will Unite know who is entitled to vote?

More sabre rattling I fear
No idea but although can see the general public totally sympathising with anyone from BA losing their job cannot see much public support for strike action given regardless of how BA or the Union may or may not have behaved nobody’s job is safe whilst this pandemic is with us so striking is unlikely to fix anything although guess along with the slot removal campaign could speculate even more redundancies.

Assume that Unite will know who works for BA and which area they work in as far a ballot is concerned

Last edited by Bs65; Aug 21, 2020 at 3:51 am
Old Aug 21, 2020, 4:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
No idea but although can see the general public totally sympathising with anyone from BA losing their job cannot see much public support for strike action given regardless of how BA or the Union may or may not have behaved nobody’s job is safe whilst this pandemic is with us so striking is unlikely to fix anything although guess along with the slot removal campaign could speculate even more redundancies.

Assume that Unite will know who works for BA and which area they work in as far a ballot is concerned
I don't think the court of public opinion will have a lot of sympathy with a union who spent most of the crisis with their head in the sand.

Regarding any potential ballot, we saw from the MF dispute that the union did not keep up to date records of who is employed by BA, so I wonder how they will tell who is being / has been made redundant. Also what would the industrial action be hoping to achieve?
AirbusA350 likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 4:41 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
When it comes to VR, I don’t believe the CFP issue affects the final VR figure. VR payments are based on an internal BA formula and we are not aware how they work it out. It is a take it or leave it offer. We get taxed on the equivalent of three months pay. Ironically increasing the three months pay element that we get taxed on could just increase the tax we pay and make those crew who took VR, liable for more tax but not actually increase the VR! In the case of cabin crew, it doesn’t look like CFP was included and that effectively is good, not bad, as including it will increase the PILON and not the VR!

For statutory redundancy it is different as that is worked out on a government formula using your pay, but I suspect for SR, CFP would be included. If not it should be.

MF crew who had their VR based on SR are not affected because they don’t get CFP, it is a legacy crew payment.

Anyway this is Unite latest press release! I feel BA staff are being used as pawns In a Unite / BA battle they are having and I really worry for those who wish to stay. They are talking about putting more aircraft into storage and that is bad news for those who want to continue to work for BA. All this makes me so sad. Mostly it is hearing about staff who really wanted to stay and tried to get jobs. I’m not so concerned about people like myself who were able to take VR and at the end of our careers.

I’m hearing that crew in the union are being told not to sign their VR settlements which is a real worry as it could result in them not getting their VR but instead getting SR in it’s place!!

https://unitetheunion.org/news-event...strike-action/

Last edited by Littlegirl; Aug 21, 2020 at 4:49 am
Old Aug 21, 2020, 5:21 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by sxc
Looking at the BABetrayal website and twitter, the union seems to be trying to get the government to further cripple BA, rather than do some actual negotiating with the airline. Unfortunately the horse has bolted.
Expecting UNITE to meaningfully negotiate in any sense is the fallacy here.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 7:16 am

Programs: BAEC
Surely they wouldn’t go through with strike action? Would crew even vote for it, most would just want to keep their jobs and not rock the boat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.