Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Recall Staff from 26 Jun [the BA staff/unions/redundancies thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Recall Staff from 26 Jun [the BA staff/unions/redundancies thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2020, 3:26 pm

How humiliating for existing staff to have to reapply to retain jobs that they have long been good at. It’s easy to see why some that we hear from on this forum are having none of it. BA will get its cost reductions, but I hope that those who are leaving sooner than they planned will end up being treated fairly. That doesn’t yet seem to have happened.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 4:22 pm

The vast majority aren't having to reapply for their jobs.
The current proposal is if people don't preference to leave voluntarily a selection process is in place, and those successful will remain.
​​​​​ There's no right way to do it but with the whole business on its knees something has to happen.
All management grades have been asked to take paycuts so its not just crew or ground staff impacted
Old Jul 28, 2020, 4:40 pm

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
I think in most areas staff are being required to apply for jobs. Even if they don’t want to, people are being deemed to have applied if they don’t apply for VR. Not sure how legal that is but that is what is happening.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 4:40 pm

Passenger numbers have dropped again significantly, which is not great news. North America remains essentially closed. Last minute city break flights are about £100 over a weekend in July.
IAG results out on Friday and I think it's going to be sober reading. It'll be interesting to see what the government and Union response to the figures will be.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by Littlegirl
I think in most areas staff are being required to apply for jobs. Even if they don’t want to, people are being deemed to have applied if they don’t apply for VR. Not sure how legal that is but that is what is happening.
But it's not a full application process with selection and interviews as the original question suggested for most areas. Not for every area, but not every detail needs to be public.
​​​​​
​​
Old Jul 28, 2020, 4:59 pm

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by T5ops
But it's not a full application process with selection and interviews as the original question suggested for most areas. Not for every area, but not every detail needs to be public.
​​​​​
​​
Yes, not all areas are having an interview but they are nearly all having their terms and conditions changed and in areas where there are more staff than jobs, they are having to compete for jobs using their record, like punctuality, contribution to the company, their dashboard etc.

Even areas that aren’t being offered VR, are having less leave and shift pay changes forced on them.

Im only giving a bit of context because I can’t stand reading all the misinformation on here.

Do we work for the same airline?
Old Jul 28, 2020, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Littlegirl
Yes, not all areas are having an interview but they are nearly all having their terms and conditions changed and in areas where there are more staff than jobs, they are having to compete for jobs using their record, like punctuality, contribution to the company, their dashboard etc.

Even areas that aren’t being offered VR, are having less leave and shift pay changes forced on them.

Im only giving a bit of context because I can’t stand reading all the misinformation on here.

Do we work for the same airline?
I think we do but I'm not sure. I don't think everyone I work with have changes to our terms and conditions, but I know most of us have been working full-time with a voluntary pay cut. I don't know if you have.
The situation is dire, passenger loads are going down again, I'm worried if I'll even have a job by the end of this because I can't see things picking up any time soon.
I'm interested and terrified for the results on Friday. An airline mothballing their head office and retiring a whole fleet of aircraft... It's not going to be good news.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 5:23 pm

Didn't realise that this hadn't been mentioned.
All staff being moved out of the BA headquarters at Waterside to reduce costs. The building is apparently being mothballed with all staff working from home or in alternative buildings.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 6:56 pm

Programs: BAEC
All staff being moved out of the BA headquarters at Waterside to reduce costs. The building is apparently being mothballed with all staff working from home or in alternative buildings.
So is that the end of Waterside for good? No more HQ for BA?

What buildings will the top dogs like Alex and Willie be transferred to?

It’s all so unreal how the airline industry has collapsed so quickly and I agree with you T5ops , I don’t see any recovery soon. Maybe S21 at the earliest but that’s even doubtful.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by BAeuro
So is that the end of Waterside for good? No more HQ for BA?

What buildings will the top dogs like Alex and Willie be transferred to?

It’s all so unreal how the airline industry has collapsed so quickly and I agree with you T5ops , I don’t see any recovery soon. Maybe S21 at the earliest but that’s even doubtful.
You would have expected this to be a press headline somewhere but so far nothing.

Waterside would I assume have been flattened anyway at some point if the 3 rd runway was going ahead which seems doubtful now but I guess if you cut your HQ staff by a significant number with many of those left working from home why keep an expensive office building just for some PR / prestige value.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 2:08 am

Where would the Global Ops people go? Europe house is in use 24/7. I know their BCP is TBC 8th floor, but how intelligent is it to operate from the BCP only?
Old Jul 29, 2020, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by 13901
Where would the Global Ops people go? Europe house is in use 24/7. I know their BCP is TBC 8th floor, but how intelligent is it to operate from the BCP only?
Some are going into the Airport Centre at T5, the rest are going to TBC. Management Committee are going to TBC.

Waterside will in effect become the fallback, with critical equipment in Europe house still being powered on.

This is for an initial 6 month period.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by Speedbird989
Some are going into the Airport Centre at T5, the rest are going to TBC. Management Committee are going to TBC.

Waterside will in effect become the fallback, with critical equipment in Europe house still being powered on.

This is for an initial 6 month period.
The Airport Centre? The one they vacated only last year? Whoa, how things change.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 5:07 am

Programs: BA/VS Gold
Press office have confirmed, although they seem to think that ops are staying at Waterside....
https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/0...e-head-office/
Old Jul 29, 2020, 5:24 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by rhysflies
Press office have confirmed, although they seem to think that ops are staying at Waterside....
https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/0...e-head-office/
Where will AA, JAL, Avios and IAG staff go?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.