Wiki Posts
Search

Flight cancelled, how long to choose dates

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2020, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Virgin Atlantic Silver
Flight cancelled, how long to choose dates

My flight on 1st July has been cancelled. I can choose new dates or a refund...

I want to choose new dates.

Is there a deadline for me to do this before the refund/something else will kick in automatically?
Old Jun 16, 2020, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA, BA, NH, TP
I had some bookings that I waited a couple of weeks - I did this as I waited for other flights to get cancelled so when I called BA I could request refunds for multiple bookings at once.
I suppose it’s down to what you want to do and how quickly you want a refund - if that what you want.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 1:27 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If BA cancelled the flight you can claim your refund for 6 years in England, and probably 5 years in Scotland, it can be as low as 4 years in some other parts of Europe. It is best not to leave it that long since it gets more diffocult to retrieve the relevant information the longer you leave it. But particularly if rebooking I tend to be one of those trying to appy the brakes to those rushing to ring the Contact Centre. You only get one change per cancellation and it may be better to wait given that very few flights are filling up at the moment.
crazyarmadillo likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 1:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Virgin Atlantic Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If BA cancelled the flight you can claim your refund for 6 years in England, and probably 5 years in Scotland, it can be as low as 4 years in some other parts of Europe. It is best not to leave it that long since it gets more diffocult to retrieve the relevant information the longer you leave it. But particularly if rebooking I tend to be one of those trying to appy the brakes to those rushing to ring the Contact Centre. You only get one change per cancellation and it may be better to wait given that very few flights are filling up at the moment.
Thanks, really helpful!
Old Jun 17, 2020, 2:08 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Be aware that if your flight was part of a BA holiday with either a car and/or a hotel they will automatically cancel AND refund you within the week so if you want to change the date of flights you need to speak to BA in the first couple of days after cancellation.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 2:46 am

Programs: BAEC GOLD, Star Alliance, HH Gold
Originally Posted by bmj1
My flight on 1st July has been cancelled. I can choose new dates or a refund...

I want to choose new dates.

Is there a deadline for me to do this before the refund/something else will kick in automatically?
I had the same question as you. We had flights this weekend that are cancelled We don't want a refund we want to change the dates to next year, but wer'e not really ready to rebook.
I called to ask if we could leave it for a few weeks to rebook after the flights should have flown, but was told I couldn't. I was advised that after the original flight date (even though flight is cancelled) it's more complicated to change dates as the tickets have to be reissued.
So you can get a refund or voucher but can't change dates.
It does seem to depend on who you talk to. I could call again and another agent might give me a different answer.
Would appreciate if anyone can confirm if my information is correct.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 3:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Eurostar CB, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by Light Travellers
I had the same question as you. We had flights this weekend that are cancelled We don't want a refund we want to change the dates to next year, but wer'e not really ready to rebook.
I called to ask if we could leave it for a few weeks to rebook after the flights should have flown, but was told I couldn't. I was advised that after the original flight date (even though flight is cancelled) it's more complicated to change dates as the tickets have to be reissued.
So you can get a refund or voucher but can't change dates.
It does seem to depend on who you talk to. I could call again and another agent might give me a different answer.
Would appreciate if anyone can confirm if my information is correct.
I had to push for it but Twitter team were able to add a dummy flight to my PNR so it doesn't disappear after the original flight dates, and they added comments explaining I'd like to rebook at a later once I had firm plans for future travel. Fully expecting to call up 6 months down the line and being told my only option is a refund though...
Light Travellers likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.