Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA9119 LHR-DPS 15th June

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2020, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by siw
But the distance to DPS is further so could it have been done regularly with a LGW based B772?
The aircraft that operated the repatriation flight yesterday was G-YMMC. That is (or was...) a LGW-based 772. LGW had a subfleet of recently refurbished RR 772 aircraft so distance is not an issue. The GE ones couldn’t operate it due to lack of crew rest facilities.

champ
Old Jun 16, 2020, 6:26 am
siw

Programs: AF-KL Platinum, ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by champair79
The aircraft that operated the repatriation flight yesterday was G-YMMC. That is (or was...) a LGW-based 772. LGW had a subfleet of recently refurbished RR 772 aircraft so distance is not an issue. The GE ones couldn’t operate it due to lack of crew rest facilities.

champ
As I mentioned in the first post I was suprised that a B777-200ER could fly such a long distance from LHR-DPS with a cabin full of passengers (I guess there was luggage but no cargo in the bellyhold). The wikipedia page says the longest regular B777-200ER route is (was) UA EWR-DEL. When GA did the LHR-DPS with a B77W (non First Class seat configuration) and later with the A330-900neo then a fuel stop was made at KNO (Indonesia's most north-western major city/airport). The only time I have flown on BA long haul was LHR-BKK-LHR last year. It was in WT on an old B772 (tiny, low resolution IFE). The two worst flights I have experienced and I will never do that again. So I would not envy anyone flying BA WT LGW-DPS on a B772 for a holiday - if that ever route ever happens or holidays are allowed ever again.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 7:12 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
It can make it when you only use 65% of the seats. The real issue is the flight back against the winds, and for that you can't bring much along with you at all. Remember that the runway at DPS is also 600 metres shorter than either DEL or KNO.

Last edited by Airprox; Jun 16, 2020 at 7:17 am
Old Jun 16, 2020, 7:21 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by siw
The only time I have flown on BA long haul was LHR-BKK-LHR last year. It was in WT on an old B772 (tiny, low resolution IFE). The two worst flights I have experienced and I will never do that again. So I would not envy anyone flying BA WT LGW-DPS on a B772 for a holiday - if that ever route ever happens or holidays are allowed ever again.
Of course the 772 that flew the route yesterday was a refurbished model with the Panasonic IFE - the best in the fleet. Although 10 abreast in economy they're nice enough to fly.

The old 772s are absolutely horrible in WT (and most other cabins to be fair). Whilst I've not been paying a huge amount of attention to the future fleet guesswork, I'd imagine they won't hang around for long in the post-covid world.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 5:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AccorLL Gold
Originally Posted by TraumaDoc
Of course the 772 that flew the route yesterday was a refurbished model with the Panasonic IFE - the best in the fleet. Although 10 abreast in economy they're nice enough to fly.

The old 772s are absolutely horrible in WT (and most other cabins to be fair). Whilst I've not been paying a huge amount of attention to the future fleet guesswork, I'd imagine they won't hang around for long in the post-covid world.
The LHR-BKK-LHR route for next April comes up as being served by a B787-9, although that might be just optimism this far out. Not sure which other routes those old 772s were serving.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 6:56 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by siw
GA could could not make LHR-DPS work (via KNO) with a B77W (and latter a A339) three (dropped to two) times a week. GA became farcical with they regular cancel/reinstate of LHR-CGK and then LHR-KNO-DPS routes over the past few years. But LHR appeared to be a vanity destination for GA. Having flown GA quite alot their cabin product/service far exceeds BA - it's just the GA management that make the problems. If the pandemic had not happen then DPS could have been Gatwick long haul holiday destination along with MRU, CPT, LIM and the many islands in the Caribbean. But the distance to DPS is further so could it have been done regularly with a LGW based B772?
GA did fly non-stop LHR-DPS-CGK-LHR for a period on their 77W, but easy for that to get lost in the fog of the myriad of schedule changes. They flew LHR-DPS-CGK with the 77W, but the issue was leaving Bali you'd have to fly an early morning 737 to CGK to connect with the 77W CGK-LHR. So many bad decisions. You can't fly DPS-LHR on anything with passengers due to the runway length. when they switched to LHR-KNO-DPS-KNO-LHR it started with the older 332's before moving onto only a few rotations on the new A339 before the route was canned (last few flights even reverted to 77W's). The decision for that routing was partly political to promote tourism into North Sumatra - but then they averaged about 3 people getting on / off in Medan. Last time I flew it I was the only pax in J which was amazing (of course, another 10 mates of cabin crew / self proclaimed VIP's were moved into J over the flight - I couldn't whinge though as my upgrade wasn't paid for).

BA staff WERE in Jakarta to look at setting up an opening up a flight when GA were operating LHR-CGK-SIN-LHR rotations, but it was never clear what became of that - or if it was an intended add-on to the Singapore terminator. Always worth keeping an eye on BA for Indonesia routes as they had some good fares that allowed add-ons on 3K/JQ/SQ/MH/MI and domestically on GA.

Last edited by Sam Bee; Jun 17, 2020 at 7:45 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.