Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aeroplanes named after airports [ ? ]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2020, 3:27 am
Original Poster

Aeroplanes named after airports [ ? ]

In today's Guardian there is a picture of parked BA aeroplanes, a close-up of their tails to be accurate. At the top of each vertical tail fin is a three letter code that seems to be an airport code. There are several visible including Bengkulu, Stebbins, and Leh were BA don't fly as far as I am aware and Leningrad where they do/did.

Is this a way of giving an aeroplane a name? And, if so, why?

The direct link is https://www.theguardian.com/business...y-report-warns
Old Jun 10, 2020, 3:28 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
It is the last 3 letters of the registration, nothing more interesting I'm afraid.
Gastrocnemius and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 3:29 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
That's just the last three letters of the aircraft registration isn't it?

Which sometimes will match an airport code by coincidence.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 3:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
No, they are not airport codes, but rather the three last letters of the registration. For example, G-XLEH, an A380 (I believe nicknamed 'The Princess' - Leia)
Old Jun 10, 2020, 3:39 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Airprox
It is the last 3 letters of the registration, nothing more interesting I'm afraid.
Correct, it is so an aircraft can be identified from yet another position, I was told it mainly for when an aircraft is in a hanger and close by to others when the main full reg on the fuselage can't easily be seen. Plus my ATC friend says it is a way a tower can see a reg easily through binoculars too amongst other tailplanes - not sure how much peering out with binoculars an ATC person does nowadays though.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 3:53 am

Programs: BAEC
They are also above the cockpit window, I've noticed it a few times on a 747 at least.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 3:59 am
Original Poster

Thanks for this. Thought I’d uncovered a hidden BA phenomenon!
Old Jun 10, 2020, 4:20 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Funny that BA seem to be the only airline that so prominently displays their aircraft number on the frame.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 4:24 am

Aer Lingus used to do this with their early A330s. EI-LAX, EI-JFK, EI-ORD were all used but then they moved onto an alphabetical system such as EI-DUO & EI-DUZ
Old Jun 10, 2020, 4:28 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
EI-LAX, EI-JFK, EI-ORD
Never mind airports, at EI they name after notable Flyertalkers, don't they ? ….

Old Jun 10, 2020, 4:31 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Greenpen
Thanks for this. Thought I’d uncovered a hidden BA phenomenon!
They do supposedly make these registration numbers meaningful in some way. For example the A350 were given registrations like G-XWBA G-XWBB and so forth. XWB being Extra Wide Body. Have a look at this https://travelupdate.com/registration-meanings-ba/ site. More knowledgeable posters can comment on the accuracy of some of these. Some really seem obvious like the G-NEO for the A321-NEO's, others seem more of a stretch of the imagination.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 4:32 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by BOH
Plus my ATC friend says it is a way a tower can see a reg easily through binoculars too amongst other tailplanes - not sure how much peering out with binoculars an ATC person does nowadays though.
I have no windows and do no peering.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 5:11 am

Programs: QF WP
Is it also on bits so they can identify them if they fall off, or have I totally imagined that? (it’s been a long day). Like the nose gear doors etc?
Old Jun 10, 2020, 5:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dougzz
They do supposedly make these registration numbers meaningful in some way. For example the A350 were given registrations like G-XWBA G-XWBB and so forth. XWB being Extra Wide Body. Have a look at this https://travelupdate.com/registration-meanings-ba/ site. More knowledgeable posters can comment on the accuracy of some of these. Some really seem obvious like the G-NEO for the A321-NEO's, others seem more of a stretch of the imagination.
Plus all the G-LCY* Embraers based out of LCY.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by nancypants
Is it also on bits so they can identify them if they fall off, or have I totally imagined that? (it’s been a long day). Like the nose gear doors etc?
Haha interesting thought! Tends to be rather more prosaic though, the nose gear lettering is for teams working at ground level (loaders, engineers) to be able to see it quickly.

Aircraft are individual bodies and need to be identified by large numbers of people in varied teams - this is the sole reason they’re numbered in so many places. Imagine the confusion if you said at T5A “go and put this box on the A319 over there” or “fill the A321 up with 10 litres of fuel”...
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.