Search

Problem with BA.com and Chromium Edge

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2020, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Avis President
Problem with BA.com and Chromium Edge

Hi,

just upgraded to Microsoft's new Chromium Edge...Anybody else now have problems with BA's website...??

It keeps forgetting my country and language preferences (which are UK and English) and defaults to the local BA website for my location i.e. France

Previous version of Edge worked ok...also tried messing with various options under the settings menu but to no avail...

Tried it on another PC running Windows 7 (Chromium Edge runs on 7)...and same problem...

Chris
Old Jun 7, 2020, 9:34 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by Chris_G
Hi,

just upgraded to Microsoft's new Chromium Edge...Anybody else now have problems with BA's website...??

It keeps forgetting my country and language preferences (which are UK and English) and defaults to the local BA website for my location i.e. France

Previous version of Edge worked ok...also tried messing with various options under the settings menu but to no avail...

Tried it on another PC running Windows 7 (Chromium Edge runs on 7)...and same problem...

Chris
people only use Edge to download Chrome don’t they?
Old Jun 7, 2020, 9:38 am

Programs: DIAMANTAIRE EXTRAORDINAIRE
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
people only use Edge to download Chrome don’t they?

or mozilla firefox
Paren likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Chromium Edge is Microsoft's new browser and an upgrade to Edge...

It can run across legacy operating systems such as Windows 7...that the original Edge could not.

No doubt Microsoft saw that they were losing the browser market to Google Chrome and Firefox when it came to such legacy PC's that hadn't or couldn't upgrade to Windows 10...

Chris
Old Jun 7, 2020, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by Chris_G
Chromium Edge is Microsoft's new browser and an upgrade to Edge...

It can run across legacy operating systems such as Windows 7...that the original Edge could not.

No doubt Microsoft saw that they were losing the browser market to Google Chrome and Firefox when it came to such legacy PC's that hadn't or couldn't upgrade to Windows 10...

Chris
The only upgrade to Edge is 'Not Edge'. I use Firefox everywhere (Windows, Linux and iOS) and also have a Chrome install for the one or two websites that won't accept an adblocker.
BlueThroughCrimp likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 1:29 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite & Lifetime Gold, Heathrow Rewards Premium, Tesco Clubcard
Chris_G have you tried checking your cookie settings? It sounds like it is forgetting your settings because it is not saving in a cookie... or it's just a compatibility issue / bug.

Like others, I use Chrome (on Mac) and have done for years, but I'm slightly edging towards Firefox now due to Chrome slowly eating more RAM in recent years.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 1:36 pm

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by SteveF
I use Firefox everywhere (Windows, Linux and iOS) and also have a Chrome install for the one or two websites that won't accept an adblocker.
Same, but v77 and that address bar enhancement?
SteveF likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 1:50 pm

Programs: BAEC
Isn’t Chromium a Google product?
Old Jun 7, 2020, 2:02 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
Isn’t Chromium a Google product?
The OP is referring to a version of Edge rebuilt by Microsoft using Google's open source Chromium framework.
rockflyertalk and mikeyfly like this.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 2:17 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Try Opera. I use this a lot, and Chrome when necessary. Edge is simply not safe. Firefox has been a disaster area for a number of years now, so I avoid it too, having used it more or less exclusively for a long time before that..
Old Jun 7, 2020, 2:33 pm

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Like many others, I find the best Edge product is Not-Edge.

BA might have millions of IT problems, but at least BA.com works reliably with Firefox.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 4:18 pm

Programs: BA Silver, A3
Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp
Same, but v77 and that address bar enhancement?
If you do some searching you will find out what to change to reset the inflated address bar at least for the time being.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by 1P
Try Opera. I use this a lot, and Chrome when necessary. Edge is simply not safe. Firefox has been a disaster area for a number of years now, so I avoid it too, having used it more or less exclusively for a long time before that..
opera, chrome and chromium-edge all use the chromium engine now

different skins/features on top, and maybe some minor changes under

Last edited by paperwastage; Jun 7, 2020 at 6:11 pm
Old Jun 7, 2020, 6:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Surely what people wish to use for a web browser is up to them - suggesting using another browser that the person might think is superior / denigrading what the person wants to use, hardly helps address if there is an issue with the browser/help person work with it

Just tested Edge and it was switching back to local country initially but now seems to be holding the preference - not sure what I did that changed it other than changing the language to English(UK) ; I did do things such as disabling services and set strict tracking prevention, but dont see that they should have caused the ssue
revorgap and FlyingWeasel like this.

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jun 7, 2020 at 6:55 pm
Old Jun 7, 2020, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Surely what people wish to use for a web browser is up to them - suggesting using another browser that the person might think is superior / denigrading what the person wants to use, hardly helps address if there is an issue with the browser/help person work with it

Just tested Edge and it was switching back to local country initially but now seems to be holding the preference - not sure what I did that changed it other than changing the language to English(UK) ; I did do things such as disabling services and set strict tracking prevention, but dont see that they should have caused the ssue
Is this Chromium Edge or just plain Edge...??

Chris

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.