Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Change to BAEC T&Cs : Class Action Waiver for US and Canadian Members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Change to BAEC T&Cs : Class Action Waiver for US and Canadian Members

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2020, 10:00 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K, *A Gold
Is there an opt-out? I thought arbitration agreements were supposed to provide a way to opt-out within the first 30 days?
Old May 28, 2020, 10:08 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by xfisgsm
Is there an opt-out? I thought arbitration agreements were supposed to provide a way to opt-out within the first 30 days?
I think you only "opt in" when you make a booking. Not sure though - the wording isn't clear.
Old May 28, 2020, 10:15 am

Programs: Too many to list
This will be challenged in court very very soon... s***t like this IS the point of having small claims court.
BearX220, Gerbs and EuropeanPete like this.
Old May 28, 2020, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Adam Smith

I think that this type of provision should be outlawed, but I don't think we'll have any choice but to accept it.
You always have the choice. Give your money to those that value and respect you.
Gerbs and mikeyfly like this.
Old May 28, 2020, 10:28 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
From a post in the COVID tier points thread:

Based on that it appears it will be an active opt-in before you can book a flight.
Can this be circumvented by booking a flight without logging in to a BAEC account and then later adding the BAEC number to the booking?

Genuine question, why is neutral arbitration a worse proposition than a class action?
keepclimbing posted a link to a good article upthread, which is worth a read. But the key points are:
  • The cost and hassle for any individual consumer to go to arbitration is high. For the small amounts being pursued, it's often not worth it. A class action allows for economies of scale, which is significantly in favour of the consumer. A large number of consumers can benefit without ever lifting a finger.
  • Arbitration isn't really neutral. Arbitrators are supposed to be impartial, but the arbitration firms are selected by the company. They don't have to be overtly in league with management to know that, if they want their contract renewed or to win additional business, it's probably bad to be too pro-consumer in their decisions. And in at least one case, a company that was flooded with arbitration claims simply shut them all down by refusing to pay the arbitrator, i.e. the company essentially won by refusing to participate - you certainly can't do that in court, as there's a good chance of summary judgement against you.

There's more to it, of course, and that NYT article upthread is really worth reading if you're interested.
BearX220, Gerbs, Steve_ZA and 1 others like this.
Old May 28, 2020, 10:52 am

That waiver is not enforceable and is against local consumer protection laws in Quebec and Ontario. I will be challenging it and making complaints with the Quebec consumer protection office and probably with the US DOT as well.

Don't let corporations jam arbitrary one-sided terms down your throat. Don't be a sheep
Old May 28, 2020, 11:38 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Like others, I am baffled that this is BA's priority right now. I'd also be surprised if this survives litigation, (especially in the USA) when they are forcing consumers into agreeing to arbitration without any choice or compensation.
BearX220 likes this.
Old May 28, 2020, 12:25 pm

Can someone post the content of the article? It has a pay wall, so some are not able to read it.
Old May 28, 2020, 12:54 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by smartytravel
You always have the choice. Give your money to those that value and respect you.
Yes, yes, of course. Won't have a choice if you want to continue using BAEC is perhaps how I should have phrased it.

BA and oneworld in general are already pretty low down my pecking order. I'm in Canada. And AA never ceases to annoy me every time I travel with them. So I'm not all that interested in moving an oneworld FF account to another oneworld airline.

Originally Posted by smartytravel
Can someone post the content of the article? It has a pay wall, so some are not able to read it.
Which article? Without you quoting something specific, it's hard to be sure what you're referring to. If you're asking about the NYT article about arbitration, it's not behind a paywall - I have no account with the NYT and was able to read the whole thing. If you've already reached your maximum free reads for the month, open it in a different browser.
Old May 28, 2020, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
If you've already reached your maximum free reads for the month, open it in a different browser.
It's available on Blendle for US$0.15, for anyone who has fallen on hard times and is unable to afford a subscription: https://blendle.com/i/the-new-york-t...00000007020178
Old May 28, 2020, 1:10 pm

A different browser option worked! Thank you!
Old May 28, 2020, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by ThePointsCollector
This will be challenged in court very very soon... s***t like this IS the point of having small claims court.
Yes, it should be challenged in Court.

Corporate arbitration clauses are not enforcable in North America. California and Oregon routinely throws out clauses in agreements, even when it's signed by both parties, on the grounds that one or more clauses are not enforcable. And someone else noted, in Parts of Canada, forced arbitration is a no no.

BA knows this well. They're just counting on the fact that some passengers will just accept it for what it is and BA will take undue advantage of their good faith to fleece them.

If you're in the US, write to the State Representatives and your congressman about this scheme by BA. A simple email would do. If possible, write to the DA's office as well.
BearX220 likes this.
Old May 28, 2020, 1:39 pm

Programs: GGL
Very odd timing.
Old May 28, 2020, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by cjb666
Very odd timing.
The timing may not be that odd... they're planning ahead, and maybe they're also planning to do something that could require such arbitration (and they would rather have that than the courts.)

IMNSHO, these arbitration clauses are a way to have the consumer sign away their right to any kind of legal recourse; doing so should be illegal across the board. However they are becoming all too common.

rb211.
Old May 28, 2020, 2:37 pm

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
Big changes coming?

I received the following from BA Executive Club today and wonder if it portends changes coming that BA is sure Americans/Canadians won't like:

We have amended the Terms and Conditions to include sections 33, which contains a Class Action Waiver (defined below) for residents of the United States and Canada and 34, which contains a dispute resolution and arbitration agreement for residents of the United States and Canada. These are important sections, which explain how a Dispute (defined below) arising from the Terms and Conditions will be handled for residents of the United States and Canada and confine such Disputes to arbitration on an individual basis only. Please read these sections carefully.

Interesting to choose now to waive a right to class actions and require arbitration. One might do this in preparation for making large changes that members as a class might find harmful. Are big changes in the offing?
1P likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.